• C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F

I give it a B-.

I down grade it a bit because our apparent plan did not work out and the answers we had for these events ended up with Buffalo getting a bunch of bad press and the Golden Boys senility being questioned which does not help.

In general, it appears our plan was to take one of the two safeties we thought could start this year (Whitner was probably always the target though I think we liked Huff as well).

We likely wanted to trade down a few spots likely with the Rams maybe with the Iggles and nab Whitner. We would then use an early second pick to take Mccargo or package with one of our picks to move up into the first/

OAL screwed us by taking Huff at 7 and we had to stretch to take Whitner at #8 rather than risk Detroit taking the one remaining safety we though could start at SS immediately. As Bunkley and Nagata were taken we were forced to use our own resources to move up into the firstand assure we got the one remaining DT we thought could start for us fast.

The main cost of this is not a disaster as we seemed to get the two players we had targeted along to meet our two primary position needs. However, by having to use our own resources to move up we had no opportunitu to reinforce our OL by taking a potential first year starter like Winston or take a risk going for the plummeting Justice.

Yhe draft would have been adequate at best getting the two players we targeted if not for us doing a good job getting BAPs from the third round on. Rather than looking to meet the Ol reinforcement need by going for a player such as Spencer in with our third, we instead took the BAP as Youbouty was viewed by some as a first round prospect and we got him at great value in the third.

Getting 3 folks talked about as first rounders is pretty cool. The fourth round pick also went BAP rather than need as Simpson appears to be a very ralented guy who though a higher round athlete came out to early. If we can successfully train him in the accelerated cauldron of pro ball perhaps he will contribute as a position player late this season or next.

The remaining players seem to fit the model of young athletic types where if this kiddie corps is well trained in football by our coaches and are well trained in being a good teammate by players such as Vincent, Fletcher and Holcomb it bodes well for us.

I do not see any of the second day group as starters at any point this year and most of their conribution to the 06 yrsm would be on ST and competing in practice but this is about as much as any draft can produce.

So I think it is legit to penalize the final grade for things not working out well and us not being very artful in dealing with this, but having a good draft and building a good team are intensely related but rea;;y two different things.

I'm tempted to esnder into the Cs. but I am intrigued enough by add-ons lke the impact of acquisition of Youbouty on negos with NC (he already was at a huge disadvantage with us tagging him and it just got worse for hm).

I'd grade it as a B-.

I geade it an A+++++++++.....to do oterwise woud suggest that I know more than Marv & Co about football....and that I am not a "true fan" of the Bills....they say we should have no opinion on anything here for five years...that is good enough for me!

We entered this draft with 7 picks that were fifth-rounders or better. In a deep draft, that should've been enough to get four or five quality linemen.

Instead, we ended using those 7 picks to only draft two linemen that can help us, McCargo and Williams (sorry, I don't believe Butler will ever amount to anything). McCargo is a bit of an injury risk and Williams has low upside.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. Not in my mind, at least. I felt we should've used this draft to thoroughly address the lines. Build the team inside out, not outside in. Perimeter players are dependent players, as in dependent on the lines for success, much moreso than the other way around.

I'll stick with my D+

I'd go a B. Lot's of help on the D...farkin' playmakers and hitters with speed in the secondary. Anyone notice the drop off in huge WR's..speed kills.3 wide sets are pretty much the norm again...and athletic TE's.You better have players to cover and tackle.A quick DL can help the secondary...the LB's we have are going to be counted on more to stop the run.With a healthy TKO i don't see that as a problem.

We entered this draft with 7 picks that were fifth-rounders or better.  In a deep draft, that should've been enough to get four or five quality linemen.

Instead, we ended using those 7 picks to only draft two linemen that can help us, McCargo and Williams (sorry, I don't believe Butler will ever amount to anything).  McCargo is a bit of an injury risk and Williams has low upside.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go.  Not in my mind, at least.  I felt we should've used this draft to thoroughly address the lines.  Build the team inside out, not outside in.  Perimeter players are dependent players, as in dependent on the lines for success, much moreso than the other way around.

I'll stick with my D+

679007[/snapback]

Obviously there are good OL players like a Pace who are highly regarded in college, drafted and stick with their teams for most of or all of their careers. There are also folks who had questions when they were drafted but played well and also stuck basically with the same team.

However, these players are increasingly a rarity in an NFL with more movement and market practices and the draft while an important part of developing thOL or a team is simply one tool, generally not the lead the tool and often is subordinate to other methods of team and OL development. It really depends upon timing, cap room, broader needs and a bunch of other factors to determine how this balance is going to be struck.

I did not look at this draft as much of a tool for building the OL or the team overall. As far as timing goes, while the Bills are not a player a way from the SB that normally would make a draft more of a NEED draft than a Best Available Olayer draft. Due to a number of factors such as their 90s history of winning for the fans and the owner, the recent failure under TD to even make the playoffs, the econo,ics of the Bills being in play with the recent CBA negotiation and Ralph;s recent actions, and Ralph's age and desire to win while he is alive, this team is actually listing more heavily toward need than is prudent for a losing team to rebuild.

For the OL in particular, there is such a sharp recent history of attempting to build the OL through the draft which failed utterly with the selection of mW, the injury prone JJ and a supporting cast of lower picks like Sully and Pacillo augmenting FA pick-ups like Teague and Villarial, the Bills need to win now and the draft is simply a lesser tool for building the OL.

With the acquisition of the experienced JMac to replace the inexperienced Vinky who oversaw the draft based OL debacle, the Bills have taken a path where the draft will play a role in OL development but a pretty minor one.

In this draft the team focused pretty clearly on using it to meet primary needs at SS and DT. These were such a priproty that they would not risk losing Whitner to trade down and then not having gotten more picks they used a 3rd to move up to get McCargo.

My GUESS is that reinforcing the OL with a first day choice (which is the only way we could use the draft to have much of a chance of improving the OL this year) was the opportunity which went out the window with our need to use existing draft choices to move up and satisfy the more important determined draft need at DT.

Perhaps if Oak had taken a QB an created further need for teams to trade up as they tried to get Linart or Cutler the Bills could have moved down a couple of slots and still gotten Witner allowed us to not have to spend existing resources to move up to get McCargo and then we could have gone after a potential first day OL starter like Winston, Spencer or risk Justice.

However, this did not happen and this draft only filled OL need as BAP allowed and was not a major factor for immediate team building on the OL.

Our current OL starters appear to be an FA acquisition at LT, FA at LG, FA at C, DA at RG and UDFA at RT. Preston appears to be the lone draftee with a credible chance at starting.

This team needs back-ups as folks like Villarial are on the backside of their career and more prone to miss games from a nick. Folks like Peters and Folwer may not produce consistently, we will need plan Bs for them +

However, it is doubtful that any second day draft choice is going to contributr much to the 06 team anyway. Once OAK drafted Huff any hopes of getting major OL help from this draft ended/ We had other items deemed of greater import to drafting to be done (BAPs like Youbouty and Simpson).

Our OL needs alot of help, but the FA starters, led by the guidance of JMac who has made it clear he is no miraclle worker but we need a miracle here, and some FA pick-ups as back-ups from the likes of washed up players like Backus, Neal, Raymer and others seem to be the method we are goint to use.

I doubt it will work but the fact JMac pulled this off with the Jints led by talents of the level of Glenn Parker (about Gandy levels) and Dusty Ziegler (a little worse than Fowler levels) actually provides some hope.

This looks like the best we can do since if instead we were depended on secomd day draft choices who need a year of practice merely to tell their arse from their elbow generally would have IMHO produced a worse result and forced us to forgo some interesting BAP picks like Youboty or Simpson who I think do a lot more to help this team than a Jenings, Sully or Pacillo.

We entered this draft with 7 picks that were fifth-rounders or better.  In a deep draft, that should've been enough to get four or five quality linemen.

Instead, we ended using those 7 picks to only draft two linemen that can help us, McCargo and Williams (sorry, I don't believe Butler will ever amount to anything).  McCargo is a bit of an injury risk and Williams has low upside.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go.  Not in my mind, at least.  I felt we should've used this draft to thoroughly address the lines.  Build the team inside out, not outside in.  Perimeter players are dependent players, as in dependent on the lines for success, much moreso than the other way around.

I'll stick with my D+

679007[/snapback]

LOL @ the Jets and anyone else who thinks theyre going to be able to start 2 rookies. this isnt college, you dont get easy weeks against crap schools. Schoebel, Tripplet, McCargo and Kelsey will eat the Jets line up this year.

Drafting O-line early would negate the picks for a year or two. we can get immediate production from our first 2 to 4 pics this year.

And i think the bills want to build an Oline with proven veterans thru free agency, not risking it with kids.

I give it a solid B

LOL @ the Jets and anyone else who thinks theyre going to be able to start 2 rookies.  this isnt college, you dont get easy weeks against crap schools.  Schoebel, Tripplet, McCargo and Kelsey will eat the Jets line up this year.

Drafting O-line early would negate the picks for a year or two.  we can get immediate production from our first 2 to 4 pics this year.

And i think the bills want to build an Oline with proven veterans thru free agency, not risking it with kids.

I give it a solid B

679078[/snapback]

Word,bro...I think we are going to suprise some teams early on.Playoff's probably not but..i think the wheels are in motion.Ya know? I love the fact that all the "experts" slammed the picks...It's going to be sweet watching them eat their crow...

LOL @ the Jets and anyone else who thinks theyre going to be able to start 2 rookies.  this isnt college, you dont get easy weeks against crap schools.  Schoebel, Tripplet, McCargo and Kelsey will eat the Jets line up this year.

Drafting O-line early would negate the picks for a year or two.  we can get immediate production from our first 2 to 4 pics this year.

I give it a solid B

679078[/snapback]

??? Why is McCargo going to contribute any more than Brick or Mangold? Youboty will be a dimeback, Simpson a backup his first year. We're not getting any more instant contributions from rookies than other teams. In fact, it's probably the exact opposite since we drafted so many juniors.

As of right now, I give Marv a B for this draft.

More than half of the 1st round picks will be busts. At least 75% of the players drafted will not even be in the NFL 5 years from now. It could turn out to be a great A+ draft or it could be 2000 revisited. Only time will tell.

At least, Marv didn't grab a shiny, new but unnecessary toy like Matt Leinhart to appease the fans. Bills had a plan and went with it. Defense. Smart players. Hard hitters. Value in later rounds. Unheralded OL even later. If they had been drafting like that for the last 5 years, they'd be a Super Bowl contender by now.

pyrate girl i give it a "a" but that dosnt mean a whole lot......on paper it makes sense the players we picked all look like they can make the team in the scheme we want...but you cannot grade a draft on draft day because some players that were drafted high will fail and some players drafted low will star in the nfl...we will know more at the end of this season and really know in year 3 of all these new players, but overall i really liked this draft......marv got players that coach jauron can use right away....go bills in"06

???  Why is McCargo going to contribute any more than Brick or Mangold?  Youboty will be a dimeback, Simpson a backup his first year.  We're not getting any more instant contributions from rookies than other teams.  In fact, it's probably the exact opposite since we drafted so many juniors.

679101[/snapback]

I'd be willing to bet that Simpson will get to play about 40% of the plays in our base D.

I would also bet that Youboty is the nickle. He should be better than Greer and King.

I'd be willing to bet that Simpson will get to play about 40% of the plays in our base D.

I would also bet that Youboty is the nickle.  He should be better than Greer and King.

679115[/snapback]

If Vincent is healthy, I'd take that bet. King is more polished right now than Youboty, who has more upside. You should be happy with King... he's a good player.

If Vincent is healthy, I'd take that bet.  King is more polished right now than Youboty, who has more upside.  You should be happy with King... he's a good player.

679119[/snapback]

Vincent is slowing down in his older age, and the more he plays the quicker he will tire through the season. I'd be willing to put Simpson out there a lot.

King's okay. He's like that type of player who is solid enough to cover a guy once in a while, but doesn't create any excitement. I think Youboty, at least in college, is more of a difference-maker.

A+ for several reasons:

(a) We filled needs with highly rated and solid character guys on Day one.

(b) We ended up drafting 3 offensive lineman

© I have rose colored glasses on and just finished some 'kool-aid'

(d) I am strongly confident an A+ would send the naysayers over the edge and that is always good and funny

Just because I fully trust Marv and Co. does not mean I blindly follow; I just do not feel compelled to ALWAYS question people more skilled in the NFL. I could logically lay out why I support the Bills and remove the "blindly follow"; but, honestly real life is too busy and fulfilling for me to hover over my passionate hobby of the Bills. I prefer that to be angelic time spent looking on the bright side. The Bills are my 'happy place' not the place where I need to validate myself and my knowledge. ;)

I guess I am super lucky in that regard. :D

You still build an oline throught the draft first. Jennings was a decent player and the problem with Pucillo and the other lower round oline picks was that TD should not have selected them.

You never know with draft picks. Some years ago the Jets drafted Fabini and Randy Thomas and they were starters (and solid players) from day one. Ferguson and Mangold may play more than McCargo, who seems to need developing and experience (a junior who was injured for a good part of the season).

We need a starting dt, so I hope we can plug McCargo into the line-up immediately.

???  Why is McCargo going to contribute any more than Brick or Mangold?  Youboty will be a dimeback, Simpson a backup his first year.  We're not getting any more instant contributions from rookies than other teams.  In fact, it's probably the exact opposite since we drafted so many juniors.

679101[/snapback]

Not to mention that all of the DB's we drafted are kind of small for the NFL...now that everyone is so up in arms over steroids, these guys are going to have to spend some serious time in the weight room to play at the NFL level....