Forget the so called EXPERTS

plenzmd1

Allright, I am sick of hearing about draft grades, value, etc. To me what matters is ya got the guys you want. For everybody worried bout grades etc, just some random results and analysis of the 2002 draft. Added Kipers analyses of that outstanding pro bowler Corey Moore for everyones sdification.

Dr Z

Is it fair to count Drew Bledsoe? I mean, the deal was done on a draft day. But my gosh, look at the help they're giving him -- Mike Williams, 375 pounds of tackle, and Josh Reed, the Fred Biletnikoff Award-winning receiver who could have been a first rounder. They got him in Round 2. Their second pick in the same round, Ryan Denney, is a 6-foot-7 DE with great potential. Coy Wire in the third round is a good, sturdy, Adam Archuleta-type safetyman. Hell of a draft to go with the big trade. Grade ... A

Mel Kiper 2002

Knowing they would land Drew Bledsoe for their first-round pick in 2003 and that they had acquired Trey Teague through free agency, the Bills addressed their offensive line even more with the first-round pick of OT Mike Williams. It will enable them to move Jonas Jennings inside to guard. The Bills now have the makings of an outstanding offensive line. They have the talent; now they need cohesion. WR Josh Reed was an excellent second-round pick. He has quickness, a burst out of his break and outstanding ability in the open field. DE Ryan Denney has a motor that is comparable to Phil Hansen, who just retired. I really like the selection of S Coy Wire in the third round. He went earlier than I thought, but he could be a better pro than his Stanford teammate, Tank Williams, who went in the second round to Tennessee. DT Justin Bannan has short arms and may be no better than a backup. DB Kevin Thomas lacks size and recovery skills, but he has good instincts and makes plays. WR Rodney Wright is quick, has good hands and was David Carr's favorite target at Fresno State. Jarrett Ferguson offers versatility at fullback. G Mike Pucillo and LB Dominique Stevenson are backup-type players.

Kirwn on Mike Williams

Agent David Dunn represents Joey Harrington and Williams, so he has plenty of work to do. Williams is the best right tackle in the draft and what is important to remember is that he played with a lefthanded quarterback and consequently was the backside blocker much like a left tackle is for a righthanded quarterback. Mike is the best run-blocking tackle in the draft who can get movement on a defensive lineman. He has an outstanding punch which will help him against big left defensive ends in the NFL. There are some issues about his pass blocking against speed rushers from the outside, but they're minimal. This is a solid, safe pick who will start for 10-15 years. Only negative I heard is his ability to take care of his weight. Some think he could become Aaron Gibson and eat himself out of the league. I don't share that view. This is exactly how Tom Donahoe builds a football team. Now, Williams teams up with free-agent signing Trey Teague at left tackle to give the Bills the best tackle tandems in the league. They'll run the ball better and the protection will be better, and the Bills, with 11 picks in this draft, are on their way to a recovery in 2002.

Mel Kiper 2001 draft

Corey Moore OLB 5-11, 222, 4.6 - The Bills went for the second pass rusher in the first three rounds by picking Moore. He is an explosive athlete who moves very well. He's downfall is his height, but he projects to be an outside linebacker but has played some strong safety. He will be a bit of a project, so don't expect him to step in and start in Gabe Northern's old spot. He will probably see the field as an extra pass rusher in obvious passing situations. Mel Kiper called him "perhaps the greatest defensive player in College Football this past season."

Allright, I am sick of hearing about draft grades, value, etc. To me what matters is ya got the guys you want. For everybody worried bout grades etc, just some random results and analysis of the 2002 draft. Added Kipers analyses of that outstanding pro bowler Corey Moore for everyones sdification.

Dr Z

Is it fair to count Drew Bledsoe? I mean, the deal was done on a draft day. But my gosh, look at the help they're giving him -- Mike Williams, 375 pounds of tackle, and Josh Reed, the Fred Biletnikoff Award-winning receiver who could have been a first rounder. They got him in Round 2. Their second pick in the same round, Ryan Denney, is a 6-foot-7 DE with great potential. Coy Wire in the third round is a good, sturdy, Adam Archuleta-type safetyman. Hell of a draft to go with the big trade. Grade ... A

Mel Kiper 2002

Knowing they would land Drew Bledsoe for their first-round pick in 2003 and that they had acquired Trey Teague through free agency, the Bills addressed their offensive line even more with the first-round pick of OT Mike Williams. It will enable them to move Jonas Jennings inside to guard. The Bills now have the makings of an outstanding offensive line. They have the talent; now they need cohesion. WR Josh Reed was an excellent second-round pick. He has quickness, a burst out of his break and outstanding ability in the open field. DE Ryan Denney has a motor that is comparable to Phil Hansen, who just retired. I really like the selection of S Coy Wire in the third round. He went earlier than I thought, but he could be a better pro than his Stanford teammate, Tank Williams, who went in the second round to Tennessee. DT Justin Bannan has short arms and may be no better than a backup. DB Kevin Thomas lacks size and recovery skills, but he has good instincts and makes plays. WR Rodney Wright is quick, has good hands and was David Carr's favorite target at Fresno State. Jarrett Ferguson offers versatility at fullback. G Mike Pucillo and LB Dominique Stevenson are backup-type players.

Kirwn on Mike Williams

Agent David Dunn represents Joey Harrington and Williams, so he has plenty of work to do. Williams is the best right tackle in the draft and what is important to remember is that he played with a lefthanded quarterback and consequently was the backside blocker much like a left tackle is for a righthanded quarterback. Mike is the best run-blocking tackle in the draft who can get movement on a defensive lineman. He has an outstanding punch which will help him against big left defensive ends in the NFL. There are some issues about his pass blocking against speed rushers from the outside, but they're minimal. This is a solid, safe pick who will start for 10-15 years. Only negative I heard is his ability to take care of his weight. Some think he could become Aaron Gibson and eat himself out of the league. I don't share that view. This is exactly how Tom Donahoe builds a football team. Now, Williams teams up with free-agent signing Trey Teague at left tackle to give the Bills the best tackle tandems in the league. They'll run the ball better and the protection will be better, and the Bills, with 11 picks in this draft, are on their way to a recovery in 2002.

Mel Kiper 2001 draft

Corey Moore OLB 5-11, 222, 4.6 - The Bills went for the second pass rusher in the first three rounds by picking Moore. He is an explosive athlete who moves very well. He's downfall is his height, but he projects to be an outside linebacker but has played some strong safety. He will be a bit of a project, so don't expect him to step in and start in Gabe Northern's old spot. He will probably see the field as an extra pass rusher in obvious passing situations. Mel Kiper called him "perhaps the greatest defensive player in College Football this past season."

677551[/snapback]

...and the same Bills scouts who evaluated the talent for those drafts are the same Bills scouts who evaluated the talent for this draft. I can understand why you are concerned.

I'm glad you guys are posting stuff like this.....if nothing else, it's pretty damn interesting! It just goes to show what a cop out it is when people rely on hindsight to come off as though they know more than the actual decision makers. It really is a crapshoot, and anything BUT an exact science.

It just goes to show what a cop out it is when people rely on hindsight to come off as though they know more than the actual decision makers.

677564[/snapback]

I am missing your point about "hindsight." Since the 1996 draft, the Bills have selected a total of 3 first day offensive linemen, and 2 of them sucked (Hicks and Williams). The other (Jennings) is gone. Meanwhile, the Bills are losing and getting worse.

Of course we don't know more than the "decision makers." So what? They have done, and continue to do a lousy job. Dwight Adams was a decision maker. See what HE describes as the winning method to build a football team. It is linked above.

Bills draft history

I am missing your point about "hindsight." Since the 1996 draft, the Bills have selected a total of 3 first day offensive linemen, and 2 of them sucked (Hicks and Williams). The other (Jennings) is gone. Meanwhile, the Bills are losing and getting worse.

Of course we don't know more than the "decision makers." So what? They have done, and continue to do a lousy job. Dwight Smith was a decision maker. See what HE describes as the winning method to build a football team. It is linked above.

Bills draft history

677579[/snapback]

Sorry, I should have clarified my point more.....I was back up on my soapbox talking about people (specifically, certain TBDers) whose opinions change like the wind based on hindsight. They act as though such and such a move/decision was stupid, or great, or whatever based on how it looks NOW as opposed to then. It's a cop out, and pretty damn annoying, IMO. Changing your mind about something is totally different than pretending you felt a certain way all along when you didn't, you know? A lot of TDs moves were met with praise back when they occured, but many of them ended up not working out anywhere near as well as we thought or hoped. Yesterday, Marv's picks were met with a lot of criticism, but who's to say that a few years down the road they don't look BRILLIANT?