Round 4 (#105) Selection: S Ko Simpson

SDS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF is wrong with Marv?? Mel Kiper said this guy would be available in the fifth round! I haven't seen one mock draft where he went this early. Ugh, another wasted pick! This team is SO STUPID.

(Just thought I'd get that out of the way.)

WTF is wrong with Marv??  Mel Kiper said this guy would be available in the fifth round!  I haven't seen one mock draft where he went this early.  Ugh, another wasted pick!  This team is SO STUPID.

(Just thought I'd get that out of the way.)

677511[/snapback]

5TH ROUND?!?! He was supposed to be there after the draft was over. Ralph has to stop running this draft. Now no one will buy tickets and the team is off to LA, which was the plan heading into the draft anyway. Maybe that Vaughn kid they got from the California Penal League will pan out. :)

:devil:

My guess would be an undersized cornerback from Northwestern Idaho State. But Marv knows what he's doing,s o I have faith that we'll be able to protect the QB and stop the run!

677721[/snapback]

MY GOD I'M A GENIUS!!!

I can see it now! 2 down DL and 9 defensive backs!!

Ko Simpson/S/South Carolina

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 210

40 Time: 4.45

Vertical Jump: 40.5"

Bench Press: 11 reps

Interested Teams: Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams

Projected Round: 1st-2nd

Strengths: A tall, long armed safety, Simpson is a heat-seeking missile. He has tremendous overall athletic ability, with terrific closing speed and hand-eye coordination. Simpson possesses the leaping ability, combined with his overall athletecism, to play the ball in air, and has shown excellent instincts. A ball-hawk by definition. A willing tackler who will fill against the run. Excellent in man coverage, with the size, agility and toughness to continue his coverage success in the pros. Simpson has perhaps the most upside out of any safety in the draft. A willing and effective special teamer.

Weaknesses: Inexperienced at the D1 college level, Simpson will sometimes struggle with his reads in zone coverage, though he is usually effective. Like most college safeties, will overreact against the play-fake and can be taken advantage of in this regard. Simpson is extremely thin, and is blocked too easily by opponents. His overall technique needs developing, and relies more on his athletecism and instincts than sound football technique. Although an effective tackler, he does not plant, wrap and drive and will need to improve in that regard. Missed spring practice before this last season with a hand injury.

Overall: Athletic and talented, Ko Simpson is an active ball-hawk with considerable upside. He may not be ready to start immediately in the NFL due to his lack of bulk and mediocre tackling, but his range and playmaking ability could easily upgrade a team's pass defense. Historically, Simpson grades out as a third round pick, but will likely leave the board in the second round, possibly even the late first.

Reminds you of: Ed Reed, SS, Baltimore Ravens

Courtesy of NFL Draft Almaniac.com who ranks him as the 4th best S.

I guess our new DC wasn't too impressed with the safety play from last year

677735[/snapback]

Amen. This has to be the end of Coy Wire! :lol:

Probably Vincent too, wouldn't at alll be surprised if he doesn't make it to Week 1.

Amen. This has to be the end of Coy Wire! :lol:

Probably Vincent too, wouldn't at alll be surprised if he doesn't make it to Week 1.

677748[/snapback]

I think it would be great if we started two rooks at safety this year and gave them the chance to develop before we're ready for a 'run'.