Historical pundit's perspective on the draft

Here are a fe links to Monday morning grades from draft's past, for a laugh.

USA Today 2002

William Green. So he had some college trouble. So he smoked pot. So he ticked a few of his coaches with some attitude. Watch the man play. Watch him make reliable, Emmitt Smith-type moves. Watch him maximize his holes.

But Clinton Portis in the second round? New rule in the NFL this year: You can't have more than 16 running backs on the roster, Mike.

And my personal favorite--just for JSP--the Ed Reed lover.

With one pick in the top 50, I thought the Ravens would address a crying need, and I didn't see the bawlingest being free safety. Ed Reed is helpful. I thought Baltimore would have been better served with an offensive or defensive lineman or a corner.

From 2001...Even better.

25:  Philadelphia Eagles |  Freddie Mitchell |  WR |  UCLA Bruins

At one point was considered a second-round pick but a 4.4 40 got him in the first round. The Eagles really liked him and would've been disappointed if he were taken prior to 25. He was their guy and will do a tremendous job. He's polished and has the capability to make a big play after catching the ball. He has shown great body control working the sidelines.

From 2003--the Bengals bungle with Palmer and Leftwich is the best in the draft.

Keep quoting the pundits people. It's good stuff.

Here are a fe links to Monday morning grades from draft's past, for a laugh.

USA Today 2002

And my personal favorite--just for JSP--the Ed Reed lover.

From 2001...Even better.

From 2003--the Bengals bungle with Palmer and Leftwich is the best in the draft.

Keep quoting the pundits people. It's good stuff.

677435[/snapback]

What exactly is this supposed to prove? That the "experts" aren't right all the time? Umm, okay, I think we can all agree on that.

Obviously the team's GMs aren't correct all the time as your examples also demonstrate. So, despite that the GMs "know more than the fans" they can also be wrong.

What exactly is this supposed to prove?  That the "experts" aren't right all the time?  Umm, okay, I think we can all agree on that.

Obviously the team's GMs aren't correct all the time as your examples also demonstrate.  So, despite that the GMs "know more than the fans" they can also be wrong.

677446[/snapback]

What is shows is that the people on this board know both more than the GMs and the draft experts that are giving the Bills bad grades.

Pretty good read from SI:

Last year, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. correctly predicted eight picks in the first round, including the first four. SI.com's Dr. Z nailed nine, including the first three.

Casserly is a favorite among NFL writers because of his candor. But he's still an NFL GM, and they are naturally deceptive come draft time.

"Best friends lie to best friends," Eagles coach Andy Reid told SI.com. "It's like the Civil War."

Most coaches who constantly tout "character" in players don't view such chicanery as unethical. "It's called gamesmanship," said Cardinals coach Dennis Green. "I think it's kind of fun."

In one common tactic, a club official will be effusive about a prospect not on the draft board while downplaying a desired player. Advanced hoodwinking involves meeting with players of little interest. Also, teams -- which are allowed a maximum of 30 visits -- often disclose only certain names to the media.

Teams buttress their evaluations by quizzing friends on other teams. But those outside assessments can't necessarily be trusted.

"You really have to work hard to try and filter through the real story," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "If more than one person is saying the same thing, you figure, OK, maybe that's the true story.'"

Some teams don't lie because they remain mostly mum. "You don't talk black and white," Panthers coach John Fox said. "You stay gray."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick is known for disguising his draft plans as adroitly as he talks about blitz schemes. Last year New England made its most recent surprising first-round pick by taking guard Logan Mankins with the final pick in the first round.

But occasionally teams use reverse psychology, by being explicit. In the 2004 draft, Green declared that he would draft receiver Larry Fitzgerald with the third pick. "It was so strange," agent Leigh Steinberg recalled. "Everybody said, 'Well, why would they get another receiver at Arizona?' But they did."

With that in mind, brace yourself this weekend for a mockery of mock drafts.

12. Indianapolis. Freeney, the 266-pound defensive end, is going to be under pressure to justify going 11th overall. But the Colts have lacked a speed-rushing threat going back to Gino Marchetti. Freeney is a perfect fit for them.

My favorite was this "reach". Why didn't Polian get value? Shame on him for falling in love with one player. :)