I like the players we got today!

Pete

All 3 are great players who will be major contributers for us this year. Our defense has some serious potential! I feel we definately reached for Donte but understand the pick. I beleive if the player you want is there it doesnt matter down the road if you took them 10 picks earlier then projected. We definately need some oline help in day 2 but our team is much improved. Our D is gonna be fun to watch this year!

All 3 are great players who will be major contributers for us this year.  Our defense has some serious potential this year!  I feel we definately reached for Donte but understand the pick.  I beleive if the player you want is there it doesnt matter down the road if you took them 10 picks earlier then projected.  We definately need some oline help in day 2 but our team is much improved.  Our D is gonna be fun to watch this year!

677057[/snapback]

they are BILLS . i think they will all contribute to a good season

Bills Stay Put, take Whitner earlier than expected

By Mike Holbrook

April 29, 2006

The first pick of the Bills’ new regime was a shocker to many observers and fans, but it wasn’t a surprise to other teams. Ohio State S Donte Whitner, a junior eligible, was expected to go in the mid-to-late first round, but Buffalo had him ranked high on its board and may have reached a bit to get its man at No. 8.

The Bills were reportedly attempting to trade down, in an attempt to acquire more draft picks and still get their man in Whitner. But word came in late that Whitner might go earlier than expected, and they decided to take the OSU standout after using up all 15 minutes of the time allotted to make their pick.

Buffalo has had great success in the past drafting defensive backs from Ohio State, and Whitner follows in the footsteps of current Bills CB Nate Clements and ex-Bills/current Vikings CB Antoine Winfield.

Whitner is strong, physical and aggressive with great instincts and closing speed. He is known as a high-character guy who takes the game seriously and wants to get better. He also is a big-time hitter who plays bigger than his size (sounds like Winfield, doesn’t it, Bills fans?). He has CB speed and brings leadership to the field. He should be a perfect fit with Troy Vincent aging and Matt Bowen more of a special-teams standout.

The fact that several other teams were clamoring for Whitner illustrates that the Bills were on the right path in taking him. And his character and passion for the game fit the recent pattern of player acquisitions under GM Marv Levy and coach Dick Jauron. The Bills’ brain trust is set on making the roster younger and hungrier, picking up high-character guys who care about the game of football and are willing to do their best at all times.

Whitner is a promising start to a very important draft for the rebuilding Bills.

what a secondary we are gonna have!

677097[/snapback]

Now, if we can score more than 10 points per game, we'll really have something. Not picking on the draft - these picks are all really decent picks, but Jauron is a defensive coach, all the picks are D, and there is still an awful lot of offense still in the wind.

Bills Stay Put, take Whitner earlier than expected

By Mike Holbrook

April 29, 2006

The first pick of the Bills’ new regime was a shocker to many observers and fans, but it wasn’t a surprise to other teams. Ohio State S Donte Whitner, a junior eligible, was expected to go in the mid-to-late first round, but Buffalo had him ranked high on its board and may have reached a bit to get its man at No. 8.

The Bills were reportedly attempting to trade down, in an attempt to acquire more draft picks and still get their man in Whitner. But word came in late that Whitner might go earlier than expected, and they decided to take the OSU standout after using up all 15 minutes of the time allotted to make their pick.

Buffalo has had great success in the past drafting defensive backs from Ohio State, and Whitner follows in the footsteps of current Bills CB Nate Clements and ex-Bills/current Vikings CB Antoine Winfield.

Whitner is strong, physical and aggressive with great instincts and closing speed. He is known as a high-character guy who takes the game seriously and wants to get better. He also is a big-time hitter who plays bigger than his size (sounds like Winfield, doesn’t it, Bills fans?). He has CB speed and brings leadership to the field. He should be a perfect fit with Troy Vincent aging and Matt Bowen more of a special-teams standout.

The fact that several other teams were clamoring for Whitner illustrates that the Bills were on the right path in taking him. And his character and passion for the game fit the recent pattern of player acquisitions under GM Marv Levy and coach Dick Jauron. The Bills’ brain trust is set on making the roster younger and hungrier, picking up high-character guys who care about the game of football and are willing to do their best at all times.

Whitner is a promising start to a very important draft for the rebuilding Bills.

677077[/snapback]

That's a great example of reason, clarity, and informed fact. Holbrook at PFW talks to a lot of the scouts...he doesn't get his opinions from Clayton and Kiper. What's better, an analysis like this, or posts like "This was BS! What a joke! Whitner? Who? What a reach with McCargo! Levy sucks! I wanted Justice in the 1st!"

It would take hours to wade through all the crap posted today.

That's a great example of reason, clarity, and informed fact. Holbrook at PFW talks to a lot of the scouts...he doesn't get his opinions from Clayton and Kiper. What's better, an analysis like this, or posts like "This was BS! What a joke! Whitner? Who? What a reach with McCargo! Levy sucks! I wanted Justice in the 1st!"

It would take hours to wade through all the crap posted today.

677108[/snapback]

:)

Now, if we can score more than 10 points per game, we'll really have something. Not picking on the draft - these picks are all really decent picks, but Jauron is a defensive coach, all the picks are D, and there is still an awful lot of offense still in the wind.

677103[/snapback]

i agree. i'm hoping the first two picks tomorrow are offensive linemen, or an o-lineman and mike haas from oregon. the offense should be the focus of day 2, for sure.

i agree.  i'm hoping the first two picks tomorrow are offensive linemen, or an o-lineman and mike haas from oregon.  the offense should be the focus of day 2, for sure.

677115[/snapback]

I would like to see the Georgia boy. "Go Dawgs".

i agree.  i'm hoping the first two picks tomorrow are offensive linemen, or an o-lineman and mike haas from oregon.  the offense should be the focus of day 2, for sure.

677115[/snapback]

Looking back through the last 8 years of drafts, OLine past the 2nd round is a serious reach. Not saying we won't do it, but don't expect anyone who'll seriously contribute.

Well, I do like these 3 better than Roscoe and Everett last year on Day 1!

677101[/snapback]

I liked the Everett pick last year. If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been starting by midseason and if he's recovered will have taken over the starting job by midseason.

I like the player's we got today, just not where we took 2 of them. But a year or 2 from now nobody will care or even remember how we couldawouldashoulda traded down or reached for a player. DW and JM fill serious needs on the team and will be starting by midseason (barring an injury like Kevin Everett)

We got a steal with Yoboty, late first early second talent. He's gonna make a helluva nickel back this year and if they can't lock up Nate long term he'll make a good replacement.

Looking back through the last 8 years of drafts, OLine past the 2nd round is a serious reach.  Not saying we won't do it, but don't expect anyone who'll seriously contribute.

677122[/snapback]

true...there are a couple guys that i still think would start, if not this year, then next, for this team...kevin boothe, a guard from cornell(i think this is the guy the bills will take) or jonathan scott from tx....those are 2 guys with a good deal of upside potential. hass is a poor man's wayne chrebet....and he fills a role that is really lacking on the current roster as a guy that can make the tough catch over the middle.

true...there are a couple guys that i still think would start, if not this year, then next, for this team...kevin boothe, a guard from cornell(i think this is the guy the bills will take) or jonathan scott from tx....those are 2 guys with a good deal of upside potential.  hass is a poor man's wayne chrebet....and he fills a role that is really lacking on the current roster as a guy that can make the tough catch over the middle.

677139[/snapback]

Jonathan Scott

T, Texas

War Room analysis

Strengths: Has all the right tools: big, strong and athletic. Shows good speed; excels at using feet to set up in pass protection. Has a super-strong upper body and delivers good initial pop. Uses long arms to ride off defenders. Has the quickness and power to get to linebackers. Is smart and durable with great character.

Thats the pick if hes still on the board. Heck I wouldnt be surprised if we traded up for him. Not to mention he is a LT

true...there are a couple guys that i still think would start, if not this year, then next, for this team...kevin boothe, a guard from cornell(i think this is the guy the bills will take) or jonathan scott from tx....those are 2 guys with a good deal of upside potential.  hass is a poor man's wayne chrebet....and he fills a role that is really lacking on the current roster as a guy that can make the tough catch over the middle.

677139[/snapback]

I'll have to take your word for it. Don't remember or haven't heard of any of them.

Heres a good C still available-

Greg Eslinger

C, Minnesota

War Room analysis

Strengths: Displays good athleticism. Has good height and outstanding technique. Uses hands well to maintain separation from defenders, shows nice footwork and plays with good leverage. Shows a great first step after the snap and takes great angles to defenders. Reaches linebackers and hits targets. Shows terrific awareness as a zone blocker. Shows above-average range and blitz/stunt awareness in pass protection. Is smart and understands how offenses work. Makes great line calls and helps players around him.

I see them both starting for several years (there are 2 starting DTs) :)

677159[/snapback]

As Ozy points out, there is only one 3-tech DT starter and one 1-tech DT starter in cover 2. Tripplett and McCargo are both 3-techs, not 1-techs. Tim Anderson is the starting 1-tech right now. :devil:

Jauron's Quote

"We see him playing the three (technique)," said Jauron. "Obviously we'll be playing in waves so we need guys that can play fast at that position as Tom (Modrak) said. We see him playing primarily the three technique. When we get him here and start working with him and he can hold up in camp at the one, then we'll start playing him at some of the one (technique) too. In pass rush situations we like to think that Tripplett and McCargo will both be out there."