Get ready for a seond look at our draft by experts

One way thar pundits make a name for themselves is by swimming against the stream.

The overwroght handwringing about our draft being a disaster (it was certainly questionable and did not break well for us at all but was NYJ fan like in the non-fact based reactions to what well may be an adequate draft at best) sets one standard that can be easily defensed.

The other issue which will help revisionists is that there actually was a method to this madness. The method was lame, but we are a team which has failed each of the last 5 years so it is not exactly like we are building on strength here/

Overall, the first day strikes me as:

Rd 1a: Whitmer clearly was a stretch to be picked at 8. Objectively, he could have gone as late at #18 and probably would have been around in the mid first.

However, the surprising OAK pick of Huff at #7 sealed our fate. Whitmer was the only other SS who presented even a reasonable chance at saving us from having Coy Wire start at SS in 06. Detroit had its eye on Huff and word was that Cleve might go with Whitmer if available before the mid 1st. Apparently we tried to trade down a couple of spots but given that Ralph and Marv want to at least produce a .500 record this year they reached for Whutmer rather than risk ending up with Wire as our SS.

Regrettable but understandable.

1b: This seemed to be a big stretch trading away first day picks to move up for a player when no other DY was even picked in the 2nd. However, a rational look at this fact indicates the Bills out of desperation that we needed a 1st or 2nd round choice to have any reasonable expectation of finding a first day starter at DT, The question is whether McCargo is good enough to be a 1st day starter but it is now clear that it is quite unlikely there is one in the draft at DT after Ngata and Bunckely were taken.

A big part of the revisionist history will be several published reports from the pundits (though one is by PFW so maybe McCargo will not be good if they say he will) that McCargo actually was climbing up the boards and was even thought about as a first by some.

The Bills did give up respurces to move up (a bad move in my view unless it is for a franchise player IMHO) but given there was no DT candidate chosen who even merited a 2nd round pick maybe the Bills were right. if one looks at the value charts we actually traded fair value to move up into the 1sy.

3: Ybouty is a choice that indicates the Bills switched to picking the BAP as he was generally rated the 2nd or so best CB in the draft who would go in the 1st in some mocks.

I'm diappointed that fear and need seems to have forced us to do a couple of reaches for players to fill needs on a team that wants to improve now. However, the revisionist view will spring off of the difficult to support and superficial views of this being a disaster and harping on the point that the Bills got 3 1st rounde level players today, there will be alot of second looks at this draft.

When Whitner said that he was TOLD by the Ravens that he was going to be picked at #13, I thought that the Bills took him where they HAD to take him. Whitner has to reason to make that up and the Ravens had no reason to lie to him. And since Marv made the comment that "the guy we like...will be around 4 spots later," it seems pretty clear to me that Whitner was their guy all along and was going to go higher than mid-1st round, seeing as how Huff was a top-10 player and thus NOT going to be around at #12.

And just because no DT was taken in round 2 does NOT mean that McCargo would have even SURVIVED to round 2, had the Bills not taken him at #26. Word is that the Colts were looking at him with the 30th overall pick.