Its all about filling NEEDS

We had needs going into this draft and we filled them. We cannot fill every possible need at every position with one pick. We obviously targeted a safety and we got the second best one. We needed a DT and we got the 3rd rated DT. No matter where they are taken we had to fill certain needs.

It was clear from free agency that we were going in a different direction. No more big name players on the downside of their careers, instead young hardworking players with character were brought in, and those are the same type of players we targeted in the draft. Management has changed and philosphy and I dont see why everyone is not willing to give these guys a chance considering what we did before didnt work.

We filled some needs and we didnt take any luxury picks. We all knew this was not gonna be a one year project, but I like the foundation we are starting to create. As we have seen in the past you dont draft for luxury you draft for NEED.

you draft for NEED.

676180[/snapback]

And VALUE.

That seems to be the Chinese Wall between the "tastes great" and "less filling" croud today. But as AD and others have said, we'll only know the answer in 3-4 years.

The only real issue I have with this draft is that we could have had the top-rated DT and the top-rated OT. Instead, we get the 2nd best S and the 3rd best DT.

Then again, I don't know jack sh-- about these players. The top-rated OT ended up slipping further down than anyone expected. If we had ended up with Huff anf McCargo, I would have been very happy. As it is, we got two players to help at two positions of need, which is good, we just probably overpaid for it.

If we can get a decent OL guy in the third, I'll be satisfied.