IF we get a good OL in #3

Its nice there was a run on defenders early which has left a lot of OL players on the board, Also, the fact that Winston Justice has dropped has seenmed to create the side effect that teams feel like there is enough OL value left for them to hold off,

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

we traded our second and third round pick for the McCargo pick, who would have been there with our second round pick.

This draft is terrible! The players may turn out to be good - but our draft strategy is awfull. So now we get two players in the first day of the draft when we should have traded down to pick up an extra pick to exit day one with four players.

675691[/snapback]

Gee,

Are you a psychic? I guess you must be if you KNOW that he would have still been there! Oh wait, Kuyper said he would so of course he would have been! LOL!

Do you not think that the Bills don't know what other teams might have been targeting McCargo? I believe their intelligence is probably much better than the media's.

But the fact is, you have no basis for making this statement within the scope of your own personal knowledge.

we traded our second and third round pick for the McCargo pick, who would have been there with our second round pick.

This draft is terrible! The players may turn out to be good - but our draft strategy is awfull. So now we get two players in the first day of the draft when we should have traded down to pick up an extra pick to exit day one with four players.

675691[/snapback]

Why would he have been at our pick in the 2nd.....because the TV says so?

How do we not know that someone else would not have taken him before then...

That is why I am asking....from a purely production and talent standpoint....how do bunkly and mccargo stand up to each other?

Why would he have been at our pick in the 2nd.....because the TV says so?

How do we not know that someone else would not have taken him before then...

That is why I am asking....from a purely production and talent standpoint....how do bunkly and mccargo stand up to each other?

675844[/snapback]

It is a game of odds. Honestly, the odds are McCargo would have been there at 42, and he still would have been somewhat of a reach in that slot.

Well put.

675864[/snapback]

You and I and the Bills don't know and won't know if these guys are good value or not. The more I look into Donte, this guys fits our plan really well. I didn't like the pick at first but we don't know. If he plays well he's good value. if McCargo plays well he's great value. If we drafted Bunkley and he sucked woud you say he was good value? Putting prices on players before they actually play is simply nonsense.

this really could turn out to be a good draft. Regardless, no one knows and won't know for 2-4 years.

675478[/snapback]

If we go 8-8 this year and these guys contribute to an up and coming team, would you consider the draft to be good then?

For the draftniks out there, who will "realistically" still be around at 70 for the Bills to take on the OL? Any headliners spring to mind?

I am NOT a draftnik, so I'm just looking for potentials here.

675806[/snapback]

Still got 3 of the top 4 OG's on the board left: Latui, Jean-Gilles, and Spencer. I'm hoping for the Deuce.

For the draftniks out there, who will "realistically" still be around at 70

From this OT list, I really like Joe Toledo and Guy Whimper is also a great possibility.

Paul McQuistan

Rashad Butler

Joe Toledo

Jahri Evans

Derek Morris

Guy Whimper

Adam Stenavich

From the Guards, they are all still there except Davin Joseph.

Here are 4 guys who will still be there if Deuce is not (and he probably won't be):

Fred Matua USC mean

Mark Setterstrom versatile

Tony Palmer strong, exp, run

Taitusi Lutui quick, raw

You and I and the Bills don't know and won't know if these guys are good value or not. The more I look into Donte, this guys fits our plan really well. I didn't like the pick at first but we don't know. If he plays well he's good value. if McCargo plays well he's great value. If we drafted Bunkley and he sucked woud you say he was good value? Putting prices on players before they actually play is simply nonsense.

675875[/snapback]

The Bills have used 3 selections on these two players. Now, it's impossible to know exactly how the rest of the teams (and more importantly, the teams drafted around the Bills) have valued these players. But there's enough information out there to take a pretty good guess.

Getting good value out of this draft would have been moving down a few spots in the first round and picking up a 3rd. Then, staying put at the 42nd pick and taking the best available DT or OL on the board (this draft is DEEP, there would have been some good ones available). Then the Bills would have 3 picks left in the 3rd, instead of one. That's 2 more picks in the first 3 rounds and THAT equals value. No matter how these players turn out the Bills didn’t get value based on how these players are rated today (and right now that’s what matters).

The Bills fell into the trap of falling in love with very specific players and have sacrificed the rest of the draft because they feared they might not fall to them.

From this OT list, I really like Joe Toledo and Guy Whimper is also a great possibility.

675901[/snapback]

It is impossible for a football player to survive witha name like Guy Whimper.

Can you imagine the play by play?

Look at that Guy Whimper off the field :(

675875[/snapback]

I agree but we are not atlking about their value 5 years or even 2 years from now. We are talking about their preceived value on draft day. We lost a pick, for no reason that could have been a OL, DL, LB.

The Bills fell into the trap of falling in love with very specific players and have sacrificed the rest of the draft because they feared they might not fall to them.

675912[/snapback]

That would appear to be the case. :(

However, as said above, as long as they both end up being studs, all is well.

675875[/snapback]

Will Whitner and McCargo play well enough to justify giving up two third rounders. I think that's the ultimate question here.

Since the Bills will get only one first day olineman, either Gandy or Reyes will probably be starting day one. Is holding at 8 and drafting Whitner worth that? Will trading a 3rd to draft McCargo be worth it?

Are these guys really that good? I hope so.

No doubt the Bills will have a good chance to field an improved defense this year, but their offense line might not show any improvement at all.

Marv and company have taken a huge gamble this year. One that I hope pays off.

675875[/snapback]

But if you don't put a value on a player then how do you create a draft board?

The Bills have used 3 selections on these two players.  Now, it's impossible to know exactly how the rest of the teams (and more importantly, the teams drafted around the Bills) have valued these players.  But there's enough information out there to take a pretty good guess.

Getting good value out of this draft would have been moving down a few spots in the first round and picking up a 3rd.  Then, staying put at the 42nd pick and taking the best available DT or OL on the board (this draft is DEEP, there would have been some good ones available).  Then the Bills would have 3 picks left in the 3rd, instead of one.  That's 2 more picks in the first 3 rounds and THAT equals value.  No matter how these players turn out the Bills didn’t get value based on how these players are rated today (and right now that’s what matters).

675912[/snapback]

That's fair to say but the entire draft is a crapshoot. They clearly loved these two guys because of what they did to get them. Yeah, on paper, perhaps in a deep draft you prefer to have four players instead of three but we have got two starters in the first two rounds. Normally, you wouldn't get that. I am not all in favor of just getting picks for the sake of a deep draft. If you really like a guy, you get him. It could turn out to be terrible. But it's ridiculous IMO to say it was a dumb move now. It would be different if they just stayed where they were and took the players that the scouts and draftniks, etc thought would go around that choice. But they didn't. They went out on limbs for both of these guys so you just know for a fact that it wasn't just one guy in the Bills war room that thought Donte of McCargo were going to be good. There was more than one. I am willing to wait and see how well these two guys play.

Go to the Bills website.

Watch the video comments that Levy, Jauron, and Modrak make about Whitner and McCargo.

Then go watch the videos of the two picks.

It's helped stop the bleeding.

McCargo's incredible quickness (vital in the defense we'll be playing) can not be taught. McCargo can play in cold weather. Can Bunkley?