Just say NO to "pancakes and syrup!"

There's a new fad among teenagers and those of college age -- taking "Xanies" (Xanax, a benzodiazepine often used to treat panic and anxiety disorders) and washing it down with cough syrup. The "pancakes" are the Xanax, and the cough syrup, of course, is the "syrup." I asked my doc about Xanax and she said that it is popular among drug users because it takes a very short time to start taking effect, depending on the individual's metabolism. The downside of this, however, is that it also wears off quickly. Thus the person must take more and more Xanax to get the same high that s/he originally had. There's not only a good chance the person will become addicted to the Xanax, drinking bottles and bottles of cough syrup can cause irreversible liver damage.

I think it's sad that people feel the need to get high, stoned, wasted, etc., all the time. I don't pretend to be a paragon of virtue, but in college I would watch my fellow students come home from parties, stumbling, puking drunk, and wonder what enjoyment they got out of it. I've never been drunk in my life -- if I have more than two glasses of wine or beer, I just go to sleep (well, maybe this IS being drunk). I did smoke some weed once or twice but I thought so it smelled terrible (and I didn't inhale).

Parents of adolescents really need to talk to kids about prescription drug abuse. My doc said that "benzos" in themselves aren't that dangerous, but when combined with alcohol or painkillers, especially synthetic opiates, can be FATAL.

I love the smell of weed.  I concur though- kids do dangerous mixes of drugs.

673466[/snapback]

Everybody does. Weed in the 60's and 70's had much less THC concentration than they do now. Especially if it's Quebec Gold or any other M39.

I know a lot of drug dealers and all they do is sell sh-- loads of pills that I would never wanna touch.

Everybody does.  Weed in the 60's and 70's had much less THC concentration than they do now.  Especially if it's Quebec Gold or any other M39.

I know a lot of drug dealers and all they do is sell sh-- loads of pills that I would never wanna touch.

673473[/snapback]

Thank you for that really lame "After School Special". You were a forgotten wet spot in the 60's and 70's.

As for Mellissa - show up here and there once in a while and post a random drug thread? Gee, what did he do now? From inside the system? What a stunner.

But as far as I'm concerned, Xanax should be in the water supply, right behind flouride.

673430[/snapback]

My wife took Xanax a few years ago because it supposedly helps people quit smoking. Well, it didn't help her with that, but one of side affects was that her short term memory went to hell in a handbasket. We'd be talking, she'd look away for a second, and then completely forget that we were talking. It was *really* freaky -- almost like she had Alzheimers or something. She stopped taking it after a few weeks as it got worse and worse. Scary.

Thank you for that really lame "After School Special". You were a forgotten wet spot in the 60's and 70's.

As for Mellissa - show up here and there once in a while and post a random drug thread? Gee, what did he do now? From inside the system? What a stunner.

673486[/snapback]

having a bad day?

My wife took Xanax a few years ago because it supposedly helps people quit smoking.  Well, it didn't help her with that, but one of side affects was that her short term memory went to hell in a handbasket.  We'd be talking, she'd look away for a second, and then completely forget that we were talking.  It was *really* freaky -- almost like she had Alzheimers or something.  She stopped taking it after a few weeks as it got worse and worse.  Scary.

673489[/snapback]

Maybe she calmed down, focused a bit and realized you were flirting with women on the internet.

so you gotta take it out on me?

673505[/snapback]

Persecution complex?

I buy the "I know a lot of drug dealers who sell pills" line and "pot is so much stronger now" about as far as I'd trust Iran with power generating uranium enrichment.

Either that, or Montreal has gotten seriously lame. Used to be a nice place to go hear some jazz.

Persecution complex?

I buy the "I know a lot of drug dealers who sell pills" line and "pot is so much stronger now" about as far as I'd trust Iran with power generating uranium enrichment.

Either that, or Montreal has gotten seriously lame. Used to be a nice place to go hear some jazz.

673509[/snapback]

I'll take "How to look cool on the internet" for $200 Alex.

My wife took Xanax a few years ago because it supposedly helps people quit smoking.  Well, it didn't help her with that, but one of side affects was that her short term memory went to hell in a handbasket.  We'd be talking, she'd look away for a second, and then completely forget that we were talking.  It was *really* freaky -- almost like she had Alzheimers or something.  She stopped taking it after a few weeks as it got worse and worse.  Scary.

673489[/snapback]

Hmmm, a drug that gets the wife to babble less AND make her forget what she was bitching about. Sounds like a wonder drug to me. <_<

BTW: Good PSA on danger of latest dangerous drug dejour but topic title is lame. Makes it sound like you are bitching about lard asses not drugs. Lame topics need teasers to get them opened. This is not the case here.

There's a new fad among teenagers and those of college age -- taking "Xanies" (Xanax, a benzodiazepine often used to treat panic and anxiety disorders) and washing it down with cough syrup.  The "pancakes" are the Xanax, and the cough syrup, of course, is the "syrup."  I asked my doc about Xanax and she said that it is popular among drug users because it takes a very short time to start taking effect, depending on the individual's metabolism.  The downside of this, however, is that it also wears off quickly.  Thus the person must take more and more Xanax to get the same high that s/he originally had.  There's not only a good chance the person will become addicted to the Xanax, drinking bottles and bottles of cough syrup can cause irreversible liver damage.

I think it's sad that people feel the need to get high, stoned, wasted, etc., all the time.  I don't pretend to be a paragon of virtue, but in college I would watch my fellow students come home from parties, stumbling, puking drunk, and wonder what enjoyment they got out of it.  I've never been drunk in my life -- if I have more than two glasses of wine or beer, I just go to sleep (well, maybe this IS being drunk).  I did smoke some weed once or twice but I thought so it smelled terrible (and I didn't inhale).

Parents of adolescents really need to talk to kids about prescription drug abuse.  My doc said that "benzos" in themselves aren't that dangerous, but when combined with alcohol or painkillers, especially synthetic opiates, can be FATAL.

673428[/snapback]

I've been trying, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why the hell you posted this. Prescription drugs, taken other than as prescribed can be dangerous... no sh--.

Xanax is a wonderful drug for those who need it, don't overuse it, and realize that it shouldn't be taken mixed with certain other drugs.

As far as never being drunk and not seeing the thrill behind it because you saw roomates coming home stumbling? Well, those are what we call the girls that had FUN in college, made friends, and to this day say "Oh, I miss the college days!". Holy sh--, loosen up. Maybe this is why Junior made his way directly from 8th grade to the juvy home -- his mom just needed a drink.

Weed? Well, I don't do it anymore (personal choice that I woudn't try to preach onto a internet message board) but when I did, it was some good times. And: No Hangover!!!

And your doctor is wrong. Benzos by themselves can be VERY dangerous (see: addictive). Of course, adding a bottle of Robitussen to it would proooobably make it a touch worse. Again: NO sh--!

Thanks for the PSA, but please don't ever do it again.

Hmmm,  a drug that gets the wife to babble less AND make her forget what she was bitching about.  Sounds like a wonder drug to me.  :blink:

It could have the opposite effect -- babbles about the same thing over and over and over again. Think Groundhog Day. :D