Merrill Hoge has serious doubts

zow2

Clemons very well maybe the best QB years from now, but I wouldnt go on air and make a statement like that, would you?

672909[/snapback]

These guys do, and will. Then four years from now,if Clemons becomes the best QB of them, they keep playing that tape showing what a genius he was.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is probably the most fair assessment of the big quarterbacks that I have seen.

I don't agree that Young's flaws can't be corrected - I think he will step up to his situation just like he's been doing his whole life.

672807[/snapback]

Why in the world would you EVER want to draft a QB high in the 1st round if you have to spend years correcting his flaws? It makes no sense at all, and would be a stupid move. A 1st round QB taken in the top 10 should be ready to go after 1/2 a year of playing time.

Why in the world would you EVER want to draft a QB high in the 1st round if you have to spend years correcting his flaws? It makes no sense at all, and would be a stupid move. A 1st round QB taken in the top 10 should be ready to go after 1/2 a year of playing time.

672921[/snapback]

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Don't tell the 7 teams picking ahead of us, that's the only chance we have of getting a player we covet.

so try to post quietly so they can't hear you

Clemons very well maybe the best QB years from now, but I wouldnt go on air and make a statement like that, would you?

672909[/snapback]

Well, if he really believes it... why not? His partner Jaws compares Clemens to Tom Brady here: http://www.ronjaworski.com/free_jaws_bites.php (but he says Cutler is the best QB with Leinart second)

I think Clemens will be a good one. His accuracy is very good and is supposedly a great leader. They haven't had a lot of talent at Oregon recently but they've won a very high percentage of games due to being well coached and having leaders on the team like Clemens.

672921[/snapback]

Why draft any pick in the top 10 then?

I think Vince will be able to start right away, but to become that special player that I think he can be it will take a few years to correct his flaws.

Thats pretty much par for the course with any player though. Most that are drafted aren't special players right off the bat. There are only a few who are.

I actually like Hoge. He may not always be right but at least he's willing to say not every 1st round QB is going to be amazing unlike Salisbury who thinks every first round quarterback is going to be a "superstar" in the league. How many "superstar" QBs are there currently? Let's see Peyton, Brady and maybe Carson (rising superstar). That's about it. But somehow every new draft there are going to be 3 new superstars in the league.

Hoge thought very little of Alex Smith and Rodgers last year (and I agreed with him at the time). So far it looks like his opinion is more accurate than Salisbury who I remember saying both QBs were going to be amazing. Salisbury also raved about all 4 QBs when Losman was drafted. That's when I realized his opinion was not to be trusted. When has there EVER been a hit rate of 100% on 1st round QBs? Even in 1983 - it was 50% and that year has never been replicated.

hoge has always struck me as a guy who is not particularly bright.

in any case, i think that young will eventually be a very good player. he's accurate, has a strong enough arm, and is a phenomonal athlete.

672865[/snapback]

It may have something to do with the 40 or 50 concussions hes had. the guys brain is mush.

i think Lineart will be fine but i agree that Young is going to take a few years to develop.....i think he has Akili Smith written all over him.

Cutler?  i have no idea.

672799[/snapback]

I agree, and I will add that no matter how many years someone gives Young, he won't make it as a starting QB in the NFL.

Translation: He has watched hours worth of games that they have played in.  Rose Bowl, OSU v. UT, ND v. USC, etc...

The guy brags about watching "hours and hours" of film more than any other analyst.  You would think though with his huge lead in this department that he would occasionally be right... :lol:

672869[/snapback]

He may have watched all of that film, but did he UNDERSTAND it?