Let me brag about my 12 yr old for a sec...

First day of 06 Turkey Season for 12-15 yr olds was last Sat and Sunday...

My 12 year old bags a beauty! 9" beard, 1" spurs, 17 lbs...

I don't know who was more proud, him or me?

Man it was great! I did the set up and calling, he did the shootin'

if you want to see the pictures, heres a link....

http://www.arcadegroup.com/trophyroom.html

(notice the redneck shooting pad on his shoulder! Duct Tape Baby!)

Thanks for listening!

Tom

First day of 06 Turkey Season for 12-15 yr olds was last Sat and Sunday...

My 12 year old bags a beauty!  9" beard, 1" spurs, 17 lbs...

I don't know who was more proud, him or me?

Man it was great!

if you want to see the pictures, heres a link....

http://www.arcadegroup.com/trophyroom.html

Thanks for listening!

Tom

669108[/snapback]

Nice!

1.What firearm/round was used?

2. How did it cook up?!

Nice!

1.What firearm/round was used?

2. How did it cook up?!

669119[/snapback]

1: 20 gauge Mossberg Youth gun 3" turkey load

2: The breasts (HUGE) are in the freezer at this point-will be cooking in a cooking bag when the time is right...

Those are great photos, but you may want to rethink posting that first photo because I'm not quite sure what you're doing with your left arm.

Sorry, man. Couldn't help it.

669129[/snapback]

LOL! I'll never tell....

just holding the feathers open

How could you murder those poor defenseless creatures of God, you meanie!!

You will rot in hell for all eternity!!

BTW, whens the cookout? :w00t:

669136[/snapback]

I didnt shoot it!!

MY SON DID....IT WAS HIM !!!! TAKE HIM!! SPARE ME LORD, SPARE ME!

Had a big one pop out of some tall grass yesterday while horseback riding. My horse is a trained field horse, so he just stared at the thing, but it scared the other horses pretty good. Had a couple horses take off running one way (with riders) and the turkey did his best imitation of the road runner going the other way. Funny as hell. I see them quite a bit, but most people we take out riding have never seen a wild turkey and are amazed at how big they can get.

Reminds me of my favorite Christmas dinner prayer:

"Dear Lord, I've been asked, nay commanded, to thank Thee for the Christmas turkey before us... a turkey which was no doubt a lively, intelligent bird... a social being... capable of actual affection... nuzzling its young with almost human-like compassion. Anyway, it's dead and we're gonna eat it. Please give our respects to its family..."

:w00t: <sigh>...I miss Bloom County...

Reminds me of my favorite Christmas dinner prayer:

"Dear Lord, I've been asked, nay commanded, to thank Thee for the Christmas turkey before us... a turkey which was no doubt a lively, intelligent bird... a social being... capable of actual affection... nuzzling its young with almost human-like compassion. Anyway, it's dead and we're gonna eat it. Please give our respects to its family..."

:w00t: <sigh>...I miss Bloom County...

669165[/snapback]

Reading that, I thought you were pining for "March of the..."

Nice bird. I'm assuming that is his first. I also have heard that there aren't any ring-necks around anymore.

Do these turkeys taste better than a Butterball from the supermarket ?

669209[/snapback]

They can...although wild turkey can be a little gamey if you don't cook it right.

Its more than that, its the preperation, the adrenaline rush when you call in a gobbling turkey, Its being in the woods before sunrise and watching it come alive. Its being with your son and experiencing new things together.....I could go on but I'll get off my soapbox

They can...although wild turkey can be a little gamey if you don't cook it right.

Its more than that, its the preperation, the adrenaline rush when you call in a gobbling turkey, Its being in the woods before sunrise and watching it come alive.  Its being with your son and experiencing new things together.....I could go on but I'll get off my soapbox

670140[/snapback]

Ah...remember your first deer? I couldn't stop looking at him hanging in the shed.

Its more than that, its the preperation, the adrenaline rush when you call in a gobbling turkey, Its being in the woods before sunrise and watching it come alive.  Its being with your son and experiencing new things together.....I could go on but I'll get off my soapbox

670140[/snapback]

Dead on. My heart still kicks it up a couple notches right before I pull the trigger on anything. Especially when there's a deer in the crosshairs.

-Jeff