UFC vs. Boxing

I just watched the recent UFC show on Spike showing Rocye Gracie's fights in the mid 90's. That dude was skilled! He took on guys 40 lbs heavier and submitted them. ONce he got him on the ground he was ike a snake wrapping himself around its prey. No matter what the other fighter did it just got worse for him.

He submitted Ken Shamrock in about 45 seconds. I guess Gracie is coming back to fight Matt Hughs. I think it will be Gracie's first defeat because now the UFC has 5 minute rounds. When Gracie fought there were no rounds - allowing Gracie to use his strategy.

10-15 years ago my answer probably would have been boxing, with UFC still kinda in it's early stages of developing.  But now, which do you prefer?  Personally I like watching the UFC better.  Anyone else watch?

668830[/snapback]

A Haitian guy who lives in my suburb and also went to the same college as me , David Loiseau is in UFC. I don't follow it closely but i've seen some fights here and there. I think UFC is great until the submissions. Although submissions are rather difficult, they can get pretty long and sometimes end up lasting full rounds of just submissions. The standing up combat though is cool because you get to mix many styles.

I met Rocye Gracie twice while i was in the army.  I was surprised by how little he was.  BTW... Gracie will be fighting in UFC 60.

668883[/snapback]

Do you think Gracie stands a chance against Hughes? With his age combined with the rule changes since Gracie fought I think that Hughes will win very easily.

But, Gracie was frickin' dominate in his day, so if he has stayed in shape maybe he can do it.

Do you think Gracie stands a chance against Hughes? With his age combined with the rule changes since Gracie fought I think that Hughes will win very easily.

But, Gracie was frickin' dominate in his day, so if he has stayed in shape maybe he can do it.

668968[/snapback]

Yeah he stands a chance. I was thinking he was going to win. If they go down on the matt, it's over.

Yeah he stands a chance.  I was thinking he was going to win.  If they go down on the matt, it's over.

669131[/snapback]

However, todays fighters are much more well rounded and Hughes is an excelent grappler. Combine that with the fact that Gracie's stand-up is non-existent.

I am tempted to pay for the pay-per-view to watch it. However the spectre of quick fight makes me hesitant.

UFC is everything boxing wishes it could be. Honest, hard core, with athletes who can actually be interviewed after a contest.

I grew up with boxing but I couldn't tell you the last time I took it seriously. Don King and his scummer buddies have completely wrecked a very good sport. Dana and company have done a terrific job with UFC. The reality show was a stroke of genius, as was using Spike to broadcast some free events.

Great PPV with Arlovski/Silva. Andre was on early and looked like he was going to win easily (as has been his M.O) but he ate one and ended up losing the belt. Great fight.

UFC is everything boxing wishes it could be.  Honest, hard core, with athletes who can actually be interviewed after a contest.

I grew up with boxing but I couldn't tell you the last time I took it seriously.  Don King and his scummer buddies have completely wrecked a very good sport.  Dana and company have done a terrific job with UFC.  The reality show was a stroke of genius, as was using Spike to broadcast some free events.

Great PPV with Arlovski/Silva.  Andre was on early and looked like he was going to win easily (as has been his M.O) but he ate one and ended up losing the belt.  Great fight.

669581[/snapback]

The Ortiz fight (under card) went the distance, right? It sounded awesome.

A Haitian guy who lives in my suburb and also went to the same college as me , David Loiseau is in UFC.  I don't follow it closely but i've seen some fights here and there.  I think UFC is great until the submissions.  Although submissions are rather difficult, they can get pretty long and sometimes end up lasting full rounds of just submissions.  The standing up combat though is cool because you get to mix many styles.

668902[/snapback]

the submissions is the most exciting part...the fact that it takes so long makes it exciting...it's like watching a chess match, you need to plan every move ahead and anticipate what your opponent is going to do...one minor slip, arm slightly out too far or neck angled wrong and bam, you're submitted

668968[/snapback]

another reason why Gracie can't stand a chance anymore is, everyone started learning brazilian jiujitsu to add to their standing combat style...unless gracie learned some thai kickboxing or something, he'd better get hughes down to the ground quick

5 minute rounds are still ridiculous though...we used to do 2 minute rotations of grappling, and after the first 2, you'd be gasping for air