One thing I will say about Jauron

Rubes

I've heard time and again that players -- current, past, even those on other teams -- just think the world of this guy. How many different players have talked about how they would love to play for this guy? I've been quite impressed at the amount of loyalty he seems to inspire in players.

Can anyone recall hearing the same about Mularkey? Before or after he was in Buffalo?

I've heard time and again that players -- current, past, even those on other teams -- just think the world of this guy. How many different players have talked about how they would love to play for this guy? I've been quite impressed at the amount of loyalty he seems to inspire in players.

Can anyone recall hearing the same about Mularkey? Before or after he was in Buffalo?

668587[/snapback]

Until he proves he can win, his tag as a players coach reflects negatively. As in, he tolerates a lack of committment to winning.

Until he proves he can win, his tag as a players coach reflects negatively.  As in, he tolerates a lack of committment to winning.

668606[/snapback]

I have to admit, some of Jauron's quotes have me thinking the same thing. He seems like the kind of guy who will accept less from a player before he'll insist on excellence. I don't know the guy personally, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think the coach needs to set expectations for the players and then hold them to that. If they don't meet them, then you give the next guy on the list a shot. I think it's clear that Mularkey was in over his head even more than Greggo was....we need someone who can take control of this team, make good decisions, and have that translate into a team that is disciplined and successful.

I have to admit, some of Jauron's quotes have me thinking the same thing. He seems like the kind of guy who will accept less from a player before he'll insist on excellence. I don't know the guy personally, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think the coach needs to set expectations for the players and then hold them to that. If they don't meet them, then you give the next guy on the list a shot. I think it's clear that Mularkey was in over his head even more than Greggo was....we need someone who can take control of this team, make good decisions, and have that translate into a team that is disciplined and successful.

668615[/snapback]

You are correct sir!

Unfortunately, the maxim "Nice guys finish last" was the first thing that popped into my mind. I am very prepared to be proven wrong about Jauron, but there isn't really a lot to go on from that. The fact that players like or love to play for him usually centers around being treated as men, being respected as men, and having open communication. It has zero to do with ability as a coach or learning or performance.

I suggest a good project for today would be to list all the coaches who had a reputation as being a coach for whom guys loved to play.

I'll start first:

Tony Dungy.

668937[/snapback]

The venerable Joe Gibbs