Davis & Huff, 2 players that are the best at their

Short message here. The first pick that we make is important, I'd hate for it to be wasted. Would it be fair to say that these two players at their positions would be upgrades to what we currently have? I don't think that we could go wrong with either of them.

Short message here. The first pick that we make is important, I'd hate for it to be wasted. Would it be fair to say that these two players at their positions would be upgrades to what we currently have? I don't think that we could go wrong with either of them.

668419[/snapback]

To me Huff represents a safest pick for the Bills and that's why he could be our pick. As you said you don't want a wasted pick and it seems like the other names being brought up seem to have questions around them. I think there's no doubt that Huff is an upgrade to Matt Bowen and/or Coy Wire. In terms of Davis, while he's a great athlete you have to ask yourself realistically how many rookie TEs have truly made impacts as rookies and how important they really have on overall success in the NFL? (arguably the two best in Gates and Gonzalez failed to make the playoffs last year) I know someone will follow this up with Heather Miller helped the Steelers win a Super Bowl last year but come on now Miller wasn't taken 8th overall either.

Guest dog14787
To me Huff represents a safest pick for the Bills and that's why he could be our pick. As you said you don't want a wasted pick and it seems like the other names being brought up seem to have questions around them. I think there's no doubt that Huff is an upgrade to Matt Bowen and/or Coy Wire. In terms of Davis, while he's a great athlete you have to ask yourself realistically how many rookie TEs have truly made impacts as rookies and how important they really have on overall success in the NFL? (arguably the two best in Gates and Gonzalez failed to make the playoffs last year) I know someone will follow this up with Heather Miller helped the Steelers win a Super Bowl last year but come on now Miller wasn't taken 8th overall either.

668428[/snapback]

We shouldn't expect to be playoff bound this year anyway so Davis making a huge impact his first year is not as important as a long term security blanket for Losman.

Losmans accuracy is extremely good on the run but his style and height dictates we find bigger targets to go with the speedy small ones he already has.

Levy loves a good defense but if Davis is there we will take him.!!!

I hope :)

Davis is my hope...three weeks ago it appeared to be certain for Davis to be there at 8 for the Bills, but now it is very unlikely.

But if somehow he slips past SF and Oak, then the Bills should take him without hesitation. The only person I would want them to take over Davis would be Brick, but I have more of a chance of winning the lottery than the Bills do of landing either of those guys without a trade...

...and for the record, as much as I love both those guys, I do NOT advocate the Bills moving up to get them. The worst case scenario for the Bills would be to trade UP. That would be worse than picking a bust with the 8 pick in my mind.

Davis isn't a need.  I'd rather have Ferguson or Huff.  They would fill a void immediately and would be major upgrades.

668634[/snapback]

Wouldn't Davis fill as big a void immediately and be a major upgrade? :)

668419[/snapback]

Well...It can also be assumed that should Huff or Davis be there at #8, seeing as though they are clearly the #1 guys at their Position, The Bills should be able to get a nice package in a Trade down. Not to mention the fact that Cutler figures to be there as well...

I do understand the thought process behind taking a TE or a S at #8 that is a higher Rated Player, but I just don't think the Bills have that luxury based on the severe lack of Talent at DT and OL...Even if they only land an extra 3rd Round Pick to go down a few spots, I think it's the right move assuming they get Bunkley, Ngata, or Justice in the 1st Round...

To me at least, a Trade Down scenerio gives the Bills an opportunity to turn a solid double into a Grand Slam Home Run so-to-speak. Yes adding a Player like Huff or Davis will improve the Team in the long run. But Trading Down and getting future Starters with 5 Picks in the 1st 75 or so could have a HUGE impact in Years to come...

Just My opinion... :)

Well...It can also be assumed that should Huff or Davis be there at #8, seeing as though they are clearly the #1 guys at their Position, The Bills should be able to get a nice package in a Trade down. Not to mention the fact that Cutler figures to be there as well...

I do understand the thought process behind taking a TE or a S at #8 that is a higher Rated Player, but I just don't think the Bills have that luxury based on the severe lack of Talent at DT and OL...Even if they only land an extra 3rd Round Pick to go down a few spots, I think it's the right move assuming they get Bunkley, Ngata, or Justice in the 1st Round...

To me at least, a Trade Down scenerio gives the Bills an opportunity to turn a solid double into a Grand Slam Home Run so-to-speak. Yes adding a Player like Huff or Davis will improve the Team in the long run. But Trading Down and getting future Starters with 5 Picks in the 1st 75 or so could have a HUGE impact in Years to come...

Just My opinion... :)

668784[/snapback]

I agree but....

If we cannot trade down due to lack of interest, I hope we go for Davis or Huff over Bunkley, Ngata or Justice.

I'd love us to trade down but if we can't I'd like us to get the surest player we can.

Yeah...the defensive line will probably get better all by itself.  I still think we ought to draft a back-up punter.  :)

668788[/snapback]

From all reports, the depth of DT in this draft is great. There is no reason we won't get a top DT in the 2nd(or even 3rd).

Also, to compare Davis or Huff to a backup punter is ridiculous.

Wouldn't Davis fill as big a void immediately and be a major upgrade?  :)

668774[/snapback]

If the OL can provide enough time for somewhat suspect QB's to recognize if he is open and get the pass off, if the other recievers are considered worthwhile threats, and if that same OL can provide consistent blocking for the run game to impart defensive uncertainty, yes.

Missing that, his impact - which is supposition at this point - would seem to be minimal. Note the signing - at IMO a rather high price - of this Royal fellow. He is known almost exclusively for his blocking skill; an admission of the weakness/lack of confidence in OL incumbents. They require a crutch, seemingly. And a consistent run game, relievng of pass rush, has been disapointing.

Add in the historical fact that the franchise has never been a big utilizer of the TE position. I do not know why that is, but it is. Levy & Juaron have never been noted for such, and for the most part, the new OC Fairchild falls into the same baliwick.

It's odd. In the early '60's, they got good use out of Ernie Warlick, and had a spate of success with TE play in the '90's - whilst having been blistered numerous times through their existence by opposing TEs.

It would be gratitious of me to tabulate the opposition's TEs that have whipped their behinds through the many years of play...

Yeah...the defensive line will probably get better all by itself.  I still think we ought to draft a back-up punter.  :)

668788[/snapback]

Yeah, cause plugging in an untested rookie at an important position is going to put this team over the top!

Does anyone think maybe some of the players we have may get better with just some different coaching? Those players had to have been good somewhere under some coach at one time to make it to the NFL, who says a new coach might not be able to bring out some talent in them?

Losmans accuracy is extremely good on the run but his style and height dictates we find bigger targets to go with the speedy small ones he already has.

668520[/snapback]

Very true. Defensive Coordinators across the NFL are shivering as we speak at the very thought of JP's accuracy on the run. Sometimes I wish they would stop repeating it over and over on NFL Network. :)

Yeah, cause plugging in an untested rookie at an important position is going to put this team over the top!

Does anyone think maybe some of the players we have may get better with just some different coaching? Those players had to have been good somewhere under some coach at one time to make it to the NFL, who says a new coach might not be able to bring out some talent in them?

668799[/snapback]

Oh..and which of our defensive tackles are going to get better with better coaching? I hope we draft Huff...it will sure give me something to post about every monday next season.

Oh..and which of our defensive tackles are going to get better with better coaching?  I hope we draft Huff...it will sure give me something to post about every monday next season.

669716[/snapback]

Yes, because we all know that the draft begins AND ends after round 1. :)

We shouldn't even consider Huff .

As the Steelers Troy Polamalu showed in last years playoffs, a top safety isn't important in todays NFL.

669712[/snapback]

How do you think Polamalu would have fared if running backs were charging him untouched, with a 10 yard head of steam, or if opposing qbs had all month to throw and simply pick apart the defense? Or, if he was on the field all day every day because his offense couldn't run nor pass?

Think it would have mattered just a smidgen? :):w00t::w00t:

Yes, because we all know that the draft begins AND ends after round 1.  :)

669717[/snapback]

No! It's only a one round draft, which is why we must draft a DT/OT/OG/C in the first round.

What have you heard of this Haloti Fergusondavinmangold kid?

Davis won't be there at 8.

Ferguson either.

if they are , the Bills must take the one that IS there

the latter - as he is the top rated athlete at a position of great need.

the former - because he gives JP (or Nall) an easy outlet pass seemingly guaranteed to produce positive yardage.

this is moot though folks

neither will be there at 8

draft will go: bush - williams - leinart - ferguson - hawk - davis - young

Bills to choose amongst Bunkley - Ngata - Huff

if trade down 1-3 slots offered (someone wants cutler), take the trade and select the remaining player from the above list of three.

I would love it if OT eric winston is on the board for pick 2 or OG #Davin Joseph (6-3, 311 5.09 Oklahoma

I know the consensus is Bunkley but I still think the Bills will select Ngata

He's a moose.