Bills have more needs than quality draft picks

Mark VI

Marv and Jauron didn't create this roster. So expecting all the holes/depth concerns to be filled by the end of Draft day 2 is foolish. This Free Agency pool was horrid for what we needed.

The Bills must wait to see what happens with the first 7 picks and then pick the best player available, due to the critical $$ factor. If offered the opportunity to trade down, they will seize it. Marv said as much in the Buff News yesterday.

From round 2 on, they will pick players based on need...but the needs far exceed the amount of high picks, where the quality talent resides.

I don't have any doubt our draft will produce help for the DL and OL. An argument could be made for multiple other positions for starters and depth... but is that realistic to believe they will all be filled in one off-season ?

Nope.

Remember that come next Sunday, when the draft is completed. No way will we fill all our holes/depth concerns. Hopefully, the critical shortages in the trenches will be upgraded.

Most anything else will be a bonus.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marv and Jauron didn't create this roster. So expecting all the holes/depth concerns to be filled by the end of Draft day 2 is foolish. This Free Agency pool was horrid for what we needed.

The Bills must wait to see what happens with the first 7 picks and then pick the best player available, due to the critical $$ factor. If offered the opportunity to trade down, they will seize it. Marv said as much in the Buff News yesterday.

From round 2 on, they will pick players based on need...but the needs far exceed the amount of high picks, where the quality talent resides.

I don't have any doubt our draft will produce help for the DL and OL. An argument could be made for multiple other positions for starters and depth... but is that realistic to believe they will all be filled in one off-season ?

Nope.

Remember that come next Sunday, when the draft is completed. No way will we fill all our holes/depth concerns. Hopefully, the critical shortages in the trenches will be upgraded.

668120[/snapback]

Are you seriously trying to tell people to not B word after the draft is over and we haven't drafted 10 new starters?

:lol:

rome wasn't built in a day and the 90's bills weren't built in one season either lol...i know its frustrating when we have been building for 5 years now but when u give up a few #1 draft picks twice on qbs(drew and jp) that makes the process a little longer go thank td...hopefully the team marv helps build is 2 or 3 seasons away from being solid contenders for a championship..go bills in"06

Two starters is my expectation. Two contributors in addition makes for a good draft. Starting DT and OG makes most sense early. Throw in a rotational D Line guy and a safety, the rest is gravy. Prob a nickle corner and an OT to groom like Trueblood or Whitworth. Will take two offseasons to right this ship.

Nope.

668120[/snapback]

Marv certainly DID do his part to shape this roster by cutting Adams, Milloy, and Williams and trading Moulds. None of the players SIGNED in free agency are as good as the four talented players lost. IMO, Marv has created 4 holes in the starting lineup himself. I know, I know....It's addition by subtraction yada, yada. We shall see.

I do agree that he won't fill all the holes in one draft. That's a given. People throw absolutes around like nickels on this board, but if the Bills filled 10 starting spots in one draft it would be the greatest individual draft in any teams history, let alone the Bills. In all likelihood, this draft will be very much like one of Donahoe's. I mean, same personnel guys, save Marv, do people actually think Modrak didn't have a huge say in Donahoe's drafts? Expect a C+ draft, yielding 2-4 starters and 5-7 depth players along with the usual whiffs.

Dumping Sam Adams and Lawyer Milloy was absolutely the right move. Adams mailed it in all season, did not even draw a double team. Most teams ran right at Adams and Kelsay, see Jets game last December against one of the worst defafor offenses in football reference. Both made sense from a financial standpoint as well.

What could have been done differently with Moulds? Suggestions?

Dumping Sam Adams and Lawyer Milloy was absolutely the right move. Adams mailed it in all season, did not even draw a double team. Most teams ran right at Adams and Kelsay, see Jets game last December against one of the worst defafor offenses in football reference.  Both made sense from a  financial standpoint as well.

668381[/snapback]

Adams can still play, he is just an enigma. The Bills played a ridiculous strategic defense last year and the coaches and players were simply not on the same page at almost every position on offense and defense.

Adams also didnt cost a lot, and they still have ten million to spend, so to say it made sense financially is simply ridiculous. He also said he wanted to stay in Buffalo. Furthermore, a four man rotation Of Triplett, Adams, Anderson and say one of the following (Ngata, Bunkley, McCargo, Wroten, or whomever they take on day one) suddenly makes the DT position a huge strength not a potential weakness.

Adams can still play, he is just an enigma. The Bills played a ridiculous strategic defense last year and the coaches and players were simply not on the same page at almost every position on offense and defense.

Adams also didnt cost a lot, and they still have ten million to spend, so to say it made sense financially is simply ridiculous. He also said he wanted to stay in Buffalo. Furthermore, a four man rotation Of Triplett, Adams, Anderson and say one of the following (Ngata, Bunkley, McCargo, Wroten, or whomever they take on day one) suddenly makes the DT position a huge strength not a potential weakness.

668387[/snapback]

Adams is an overpaid prima donna mercenary. Not to mention he is injury prone and only plays when he feels like it.

He is not a team player and is not what a new coaching staff (that is trying to change a loser's attitude) needs in the locker room

Adams is an overpaid prima donna mercenary. Not to mention he is injury prone and only plays when he feels like it.

He is not a team player and is not what a new coaching staff (that is trying to change a loser's attitude) needs in the locker room

668388[/snapback]

He was also arguably the MVP of our defense the two years it was rated #2. And the biggest problem we had last year was we couldn't stop the run up the middle and we couldnt keep the linemen off the linebackers. he is still good at that, he was just used horribly, and then not used at all. When he is motivated he is still great, and it is not all that hard to get him motivated. I would agree that he is not necessarily the kind of player that a new staff that is trying to change the attitude of, but if that were truly the case, they never would have signed Peerless Price.

Things would have been different if we signed Pickett, but what Badol said was exactly right. We had a lot of holes to fill, Marv immediately and voluntarily created four more big holes and his only signings filled the holes that he created not, any of the ones he inherited, with the possible exception of Fowler.

Dumping Sam Adams and Lawyer Milloy was absolutely the right move. Adams mailed it in all season, did not even draw a double team. Most teams ran right at Adams and Kelsay, see Jets game last December against one of the worst defafor offenses in football reference.  Both made sense from a  financial standpoint as well.

668381[/snapback]

Well they could have kept Moulds instead of signing Price and Davis. It's safe to say he would have stayed if he didn't have to re-negotiate. If Price and Davis both stick on the roster, how much cash savings do the Bills get this year as opposed to having kept Moulds? Not cap savings(they don't need it, their WAY under), but actual pay out. The answer is about enough for Marv to sign one more scrub(reminder, Price and Davis got paid like solid players, when in fact, both were waived by their teams during last season).

The moves that were made were done under the pretense of financial hardship, when in fact, they were strictly personnel moves because soon after the Bills began throwing money around in a seemingly careless manner to a non-descript group of nobodies. But all is not lost, they did keep Jeff Posey and Troy Vincent(How do YOU explain THAT?).

Well they could have kept Moulds instead of signing Price and Davis.  It's safe to say he would have stayed if he didn't have to re-negotiate.  If Price and Davis both stick on the roster, how much cash savings do the Bills get this year as opposed to having kept Moulds?  Not cap savings(they don't need it, their WAY under), but actual pay out.  The answer is about enough for Marv to sign one more scrub(reminder, Price and Davis got paid like solid players, when in fact, both were waived by their teams during last season). 

The moves that were made were done under the pretense of financial hardship, when in fact, they were strictly personnel moves because soon after the Bills began throwing money around in a seemingly careless manner to a non-descript group of nobodies.   But all is not lost, they did keep Jeff Posey and Troy Vincent(How do YOU explain THAT?).

668404[/snapback]

??

price, with bonus and salary, will be getting under 2.5 million (and i'm not even amortizing the bonus, which would lower it), and davis is getting about a million if memory serves. moulds was due either nearly or more than twice that in salary, and the bills were most likely willing to pay more to moulds than price/davis combined in any case. the problem was, he didn't want to be here, so he wouldn't renegotiate. put simply, he wanted out, and the bills didn't want to pay him the 6-7 million that they were obligated to pay him under his contract.

I actually don't think there are as many holes as most around here.  Their record was worse than their talent.  That team quit last season.

668360[/snapback]

What do you mean exactly? Are you saying that all the players they let go weren't that bad or that they can be easily replaced by a bunch of proven nobodies?

We were a .500 team last year in Games that Holcomb started. Even Mediocre QBing without Takeo made this team average. I hope that either Losman or Nall -- both of whom may have more natural skills than Holcomb--can translate that into on the field performance (ie somehow find Kelly Holcomb's brain and put it in their head).

I question letting Milloy and Adams go because their cap figures weren't that high and they created holes that had to be filled..we filled Milloy's with Matt Bowen (who?) and we filled Adams' with noone yet...I would feel a lot better about this team in the short term if we gave up one of the third's for Dwight Smith and maybe the 6th for Hollis Thomas this week and then signed Tutan Reyes...that way we are less dependent on the draft. We have the money to do this..Smith and Reyes are young enough to justify these moves. If we draft for immediate starters I don't think it will be a draft we will look at in three years and be pleased.

??

price, with bonus and salary, will be getting under 2.5 million (and i'm not even amortizing the bonus, which would lower it), and davis is getting about a million if memory serves. moulds was due either nearly or more than twice that in salary, and the bills were most likely willing to pay more to moulds than price/davis combined in any case. the problem was, he didn't want to be here, so he wouldn't renegotiate. put simply, he wanted out, and the bills didn't want to pay him the 6-7 million that they were obligated to pay him under his contract.

668409[/snapback]

This decision was very much like the one Donahoe made with Ted Washington. Washington was old and washed up and overpaid and easily replaceable. And he obviously didn't want to be in Buffalo because he wouldn't renegotiate his contract.......that's what the fans said anyway. But that's not really the point of my response to Mark, the point is Marv HAS made decisions. Decisions that have weakened the roster to the point that we now accept that this team will not be able to turn it around next season. That's significant when you consider the prevailing sentiment, that the team underachieved last year and should have been a playoff contender.

........ our holes/depth concerns. Hopefully, the critical shortages in the trenches will be upgraded.

668120[/snapback]

Thanks. I had been making my reservations for Miami in February 07 and my whole family was going to meet down there. I'll have to call everybody to let them know it's gonna be called off. I hope my airline tickets are refundable. :)

This decision was very much like the one Donahoe made with Ted Washington.  Washington was old and washed up and overpaid and easily replaceable.  And he obviously didn't want to be in Buffalo because he wouldn't renegotiate his contract.......that's what the fans said anyway.  But that's not really the point of my response to Mark, the point is Marv HAS made decisions.  Decisions that have weakened the roster to the point that we now accept that this team will not be able to turn it around next season.  That's significant when you consider the prevailing sentiment, that the team underachieved last year and should have been a playoff contender.

668426[/snapback]

To me the release of Adams and Milloy represent the Bills know that they aren't playing for one year. As do the free agent signings as almost all were guys who are heading into their primes and who prior to arriving here were career backups but in signing here have a chance to prove to themselves and the rest of the league they are more than that. It was a low risk (since Levy didn't break the bank to sign any of them) high reward situation. While I don't expect the 2006 Bills to make the playoffs I think they could improve from the 2005 to an 8-8 team and could be a playoff contender in 2007. As the Patriots aren't getting any younger, the Dolphins seem to be looking for short term success as they have a core group of players seemingly on the wrong side of 30 and the Jets are in the same boat as the Bills but really haven't done as much this off season.