Thank You Congress and TV

Hope you loved your monthly Bush Bash

You are beginning to see the ripple effects our political heros and wise news executives are having on our strategic security. For me, I would hope they will choke on it - but they never will. When everyone's gas is $8.00 per gallon, make sure you blame someone in the White House. And that is just one problem.

You don't let TV (or Congress) dictate foreign policy. The last thing we needed to do was to give China leverage against our own middle eastern interests. But, "Bush was going to sell our ports to terrorists".

Hu's trip comes as Saudi Arabia opens up to Asia's growing economic powers in a bid to find stable markets for its oil, step up its international diplomacy and show the West, particularly the United States, that if relations worsen, the kingdom has other alternatives, analysts say.

Saudis say the pressure the U.S. Congress recently exerted to drive away a Dubai-based company poised to operate cargo terminals at several American seaports sent a message to Arab and Muslim investors that they are not welcome in the United States.

"There's a feeling among Saudis that the U.S. Congress is deriding us, abusing us and insulting us," said Khaled al-Maeena, editor of the English-language Arab News daily.

"We need to maintain links to America, but we are not a gas station. America has to realize we want friends, not masters."

This stuff just pisses me off.

For those of you with the knee-jerk "Who cares what they think" response, the world just doesn't work that way. It's a chess game, and you don't spot a knight and a bishop for some self interest airtime. Don't think that China has forgotten it runs terminals at a few west coast ports.

You are beginning to see the ripple effects our political heros and wise news executives are having on our strategic security. For me, I would hope they will choke on it - but they never will. When everyone's gas is $8.00 per gallon, make sure you blame someone in the White House.  And that is just one problem.

You don't let TV (or Congress) dictate foreign policy. The last thing we needed to do was to give China leverage against our own middle eastern interests. But, "Bush was going to sell our ports to terrorists".

For those of you with the knee-jerk "Who cares what they think" response, the world just doesn't work that way. It's a chess game, and you don't spot a knight and a bishop for some self interest airtime. Don't think that China has forgotten it runs terminals at a few west coast ports.

668118[/snapback]

Stop being such a Bush apologist. We kept the sand !@#$s out of our ports, that's the important thing. :lol:

Stop being such a Bush apologist.  We kept the sand !@#$s out of our ports, that's the important thing.   :lol:

668164[/snapback]

Yup, I'm going to work on my Bin Laden's lapdog personna now as I review this new Chad/Sudan oil pipeline shutdown / AQ call to arms thingy that is well off the American news radar too.

But, there has been a new arrest in the Natalie case.

Yup, I'm going to work on my Bin Laden's lapdog personna now as I review this new Chad/Sudan oil pipeline shutdown / AQ call to arms thingy that is well off the American news radar too.

668171[/snapback]

Lead story on both the AP and Reuters feeds. Of course, since it's a weekend, the networks will ignore it for the regular talk-show punditry cycle.

It's enough to make one wonder if bin Laden's taking a page from the early Nazi foreign policy rule book: make announcements on a Saturday, so you're 48 hours ahead of the reaction come Monday.

Lead story on both the AP and Reuters feeds.  Of course, since it's a weekend, the networks will ignore it for the regular talk-show punditry cycle. 

It's enough to make one wonder if bin Laden's taking a page from the early Nazi foreign policy rule book: make announcements on a Saturday, so you're 48 hours ahead of the reaction come Monday.

668194[/snapback]

That part, I think is more on Al Jazeera. This threatened pipeline shutdown business should have the speculators worked up for another few bucks a barrel.

But, there has been a new arrest in the Natalie case.

668171[/snapback]

Who cares about Natalee. The big news is that the Alpaca Society is taking credit for Brad and Angelina's brat's name, Suri. Apparently it means some kind of alpaca. Now THAT is news. Just think how the poor thing will be scarred for life, what with two famous parents, all that money and a funny name.

Or is it Tom and Katie's kid? I get them all confused .... But it's IMPORTANT. :lol:

Who cares about Natalee.  The big news is that the Alpaca Society is taking credit for Brad and Angelina's brat's name, Suri.  Apparently it means some kind of alpaca.  Now THAT is news.  Just think how the poor thing will be scarred for life, what with two famous parents, all that money and a funny name.

Or is it Tom and Katie's kid?  I get them all confused .... But it's IMPORTANT. :lol:

668223[/snapback]

I stand corrected. Someone really does need to speak out for alpacas. Do they normally vote republican or democrat?

It's a Sunday.  You should have waited until tomorrow for more attention.

But even then...most people will ignore the story, as it's contrary to their preconceived notions that constitute the "truth" for them...

668303[/snapback]

Preconceived?

I think that's giving WAY too much credit.

You are beginning to see the ripple effects our political heros and wise news executives are having on our strategic security. For me, I would hope they will choke on it - but they never will. When everyone's gas is $8.00 per gallon, make sure you blame someone in the White House.  And that is just one problem.

668118[/snapback]

No, you SHOULDN'T let TV or Congress dictate foreign policy, but we apparently do allow it (at least in this case). Combining Congresscritter foolishness (or shortsightedness or self-interest or whatever you want to call it) with our apparent ignoring of South America, should make for some interesting issues for the next President to have to deal with. Ignoring SA and showing Muslims that we are racists doesn't exactly seem like the best foreign policies, but hey maybe it'll work. :)

76 views and six comments. That's telling, too.

668295[/snapback]

Hey, it's a Sunday, and we were out registering for baby stuff. I've got no time for this China - Saudi Arabia garbage. Doesn't impact me at all, because I've got John Corzine & Robert Menendez looking out for me.

No, you SHOULDN'T let TV or Congress dictate foreign policy, but we apparently do allow it (at least in this case).  Combining Congresscritter foolishness (or shortsightedness or self-interest or whatever you want to call it) with our apparent ignoring of South America, should make for some interesting issues for the next President to have to deal with.  Ignoring SA and showing Muslims that we are racists doesn't exactly seem like the best foreign policies, but hey maybe it'll work. :)

668320[/snapback]

Spot you a rook. It's been many years since anyone has payed any attention to S. America. Let alone non-mideastern Africa. But, hey - 24 is on. We rule.

Spot you a rook. It's been many years since anyone has payed any attention to S. America. Let alone non-mideastern Africa. But, hey - 24 is on. We rule.

668369[/snapback]

Why would anyone pay attention to sub-Sahara Africa? Apartheid is gone. Everything else is wine and roses, right? :)

Why would anyone pay attention to sub-Sahara Africa?  Apartheid is gone.  Everything else is wine and roses, right? :)

668378[/snapback]

Good wine & good roses come from South Africa these days.

:)

Hey, it's a Sunday, and we were out registering for baby stuff.  I've got no time for this China - Saudi Arabia garbage.  Doesn't impact me at all, because I've got John Corzine & Robert Menendez looking out for me.

668331[/snapback]

Me, I am washing and waxing my cars. What the hell, I may have to live in them some day.