Giants finally sign Lavar Arrington....

Tom

Giants should be happy...they got their malcontent, injured and totally ineffective linebacker they've always wanted!

LaVar has been a shell of himself the last two seasons, he's got no cartilage left in the ol' knees and is the ultimate "me" first player.

667533[/snapback]

This automatic trashing of any non-Bill gets pretty lame. I don't like LaVar, but I've been stuck watching Redskin games for the past few years and based on the situation he's been in - basically, never played - neither I nor the local sportcasters know how good he is right now. He's looked good when he's been in there, and the speculation centers on personality issues between him and the coaches. So to say he's a shell of himself, he's too injured, etc, is absurd.

This automatic trashing of any non-Bill gets pretty lame.  I don't like LaVar,  but I've been stuck watching Redskin games for the past few years and based on the situation he's been in - basically,  never played - neither I nor the local sportcasters know how good he is right now.  He's looked good when he's been in there, and the speculation centers on personality issues between him and the coaches.  So to say he's a shell of himself,  he's too injured, etc,  is absurd.

667612[/snapback]

Please. Dont try to make this a "holier than thou" argument because LaVar Arrington is one of the worst examples you could go to. They guy could care less about the Skins when he was there, it was all about him. If a fan dislikes a player, no reason to hold back. When I bash a non-Bill, it takes an awful lot to get me going...but LaVar has done NOTHING in the last two seasons that makes me think he's anywhere near what he used to be and worthy of such a huge contract. Thats not limited to non-Bills, I feel the same way about Peerless' new contract which is completely unjustified. You've got to ask yourself why Arrington didnt find himself in many games...it was a combination of injuries and a poor attitude. The injuries werent his fault, but you cant ignore them. Arrington complained to the press, he whined on the sidelines, and when he did get into games he couldnt keep up with the speed, I didnt see him excel at all. When you've had THAT much damage to your knees, teams should be weary of you...and the fact that Arrington had some reservations about just going through physicals this offseason tells me even he's not too confident about how he'll hold up. To me, thats not worth a 49 million dollar contract, but as they say...a sucker is born every minute.

I think when it comes to guys like Arrington who disrespect the fans and their teams, they deserve to get bashed by the fans in response for their poor attitude.

Its not automatic trashing by any means, I've been a big fan of the moves by other teams this offseason (Browns, Philly, Seattle spring to mind) but when something this silly comes across the wire, I cant help but comment on how dumb it seems to me.

Please.  Dont try to make this a "holier than thou" argument because LaVar Arrington is one of the worst examples you could go to.  They guy could care less about the Skins when he was there, it was all about him.  If a fan dislikes a player, no reason to hold back.  When I bash a non-Bill, it takes an awful lot to get me going...but LaVar has done NOTHING in the last two seasons that makes me think he's anywhere near what he used to be and worthy of such a huge contract. 

:

667625[/snapback]

I'm not defending him, because I don't like him and dislike the Redskins even more, but the fact is his numbers are down because Williams didn't play him. When he was in there he was all right. The speculation here wasn't 'Why isn't LaVar performing' it was 'What's going on in practice that they keep LaVar on the bench.'

So how do you say his play has faltered, that he's shot physically, etc? You must know something nobody in Washington knows... it's kinda like national commentators writing off Losman because they read that he got benched twice.

Giants should be happy...they got their malcontent, injured and totally ineffective linebacker they've always wanted!

LaVar has been a shell of himself the last two seasons, he's got no cartilage left in the ol' knees and is the ultimate "me" first player.

667533[/snapback]

he actually played very well when williams allowed him to play last year.

This automatic trashing of any non-Bill gets pretty lame.  I don't like LaVar,  but I've been stuck watching Redskin games for the past few years and based on the situation he's been in - basically,  never played - neither I nor the local sportcasters know how good he is right now.  He's looked good when he's been in there, and the speculation centers on personality issues between him and the coaches.  So to say he's a shell of himself,  he's too injured, etc,  is absurd.

667612[/snapback]

I posted a thread awhile back addressing the very issue and was told I was dead wrong. That the morale on the wall was so bad that it would be quite the contrary.

I said something along the lines that any team that signs a stud would be over-paying and making a big mistake while any free agents who sign here are steals! Of course I was taking it to an extreme......I still stand by my original post, and the Giants signing Lavar is a big upgrade for them...I think he is still a impact type player, I don't think all the teams who wanted him were just smoke and mirrors.....obviously with what the Giants had to pay him to secure his services.

Will this be a good signing? Who knows? But for the money they'll be giving him, not to mention his lack of discipline (Coughlin will just LOVE that!), and his knee that reportedly has no cartilage and will need microfracture surgery, I wouldn't count on him making as great of an impact as a lot of people think.

7 years 49 mil. Wow.

To get the $7 million-per-year, Arrington and the Giants agreed to load the deal with incentives, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported. Arrington, who will get a $5.25 million signing bonus, will receive a base salary worth around $3.7 million a year. With reachable incentives, Arrington can make $5 million a year and with maximum performance, he can take the deal to $49 million if he completes the seven years of his contract.

Looks like he has to go out and earn it.