Bush Seemingly Resigned to High Gas Prices

But...but...but...you're wrong, because it's Bush's fault!  :)

Serious question: what is the oil company's profit on selling a gallon of gas?  Not on refining it, just selling it at the pump?  I realize, from a corporate economics standpoint, it's probably a meaningless number...but I'm still curious...

668758[/snapback]

7 cents.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But...but...but...you're wrong, because it's Bush's fault!  :)

Serious question: what is the oil company's profit on selling a gallon of gas?  Not on refining it, just selling it at the pump?  I realize, from a corporate economics standpoint, it's probably a meaningless number...but I'm still curious...

668758[/snapback]

Probably easier to answer in terms of overall refiners margins, typically measures as 3-2-1 crack spread which indicates total refinery margins. Currently running ~ $9.3/barrel in Chicago and ~ $9.7/barrel in Gulf Coast. Note this is highly dependent on how efficiently refiners run their plants but the above are numbers quoted in the press and should be averages.

As an aside, gas is taxed like crazy and as a percent, the government is making a lot of money right now (estimated $58 billion in 2005 !!). Any calls for a windfall profit tax on the government ? ;)

As an aside, gas is taxed like crazy and as a percent, the government is making a lot of money right now (estimated $58 billion in 2005 !!). Any calls for a windfall profit tax on the government ?  :)

668769[/snapback]

I know some are specified amounts, so the total price/gallon makes no difference in the revenue to the gubment. Which taxes are based on sale price? Generic sales tax?

Isnt there something like 2 trillion barrels of oil ( shale oil ) in western Colorado?

Enough to last 500 years?

I thought I read that somewhere, anyone?

668778[/snapback]

But people don't want that in their backyard. That's the issue. The last time someone submitted approval to build a refinery was 12 years ago in the US. Do you know why? Because people don't want them anywhere near them.

The administration has a good answer IMHO for it, they plan on using the bases that are on the BRAC list to house refineries. Sure people will hate it, but part of the problem, more so then oil prices is the few refineries. When they have problems it's even more of a problem. Add to that the refined oil can no longer go into the pipeline intact but must have ethonal added once it hits it's destination also increases cost. If there were more refineries, closer to the delivery points and ethonal could be added there, it would reduce costs.

Isnt there something like 2 trillion barrels of oil ( shale oil ) in western Colorado?

Enough to last 500 years?

I thought I read that somewhere, anyone?

668778[/snapback]

Don't know the reserves amount. But, the technology to extract it economically still does not exist. Maybe at $120/barrel, existing technology can make it profitable. The oil sands in Alberta, Canada was faced with a similar issue a few years back. But it is now very profitable to extract heavy crudes from there with current level of crude prices.

As an aside, gas is taxed like crazy and as a percent, the government is making a lot of money right now (estimated $58 billion in 2005 !!). Any calls for a windfall profit tax on the government ?  :)

668769[/snapback]

Becasue big government = good, corporations = bad. Because government helps the people, corporations only leech off them. :w00t:

I was stunned to find out that taxes on gas in CA constitute roughly 25%-33% of the total gas price. But even so...you can't blame CA taxes for the ethanol problems. Legislation, maybe...but not taxes.

Becasue big government = good, corporations = bad.  Because government helps the people, corporations only leech off them.  :w00t:

I was stunned to find out that taxes on gas in CA constitute roughly 25%-33% of the total gas price.  But even so...you can't blame CA taxes for the ethanol problems.  Legislation, maybe...but not taxes.

668815[/snapback]

Remember when the states' were running surpluses? They were rolling back the taxes on gas?... Yep, that was pre-911 days... Right?

Think they can roll back the taxes when the fed has already put the states' in a lurch/red?

No friggan way... Seems like they are getting squeezed along with the simple man.

I still see many a gas/diesel guzzling vessels transiting this area...

:);)

No friggan way... Seems like they are getting squeezed along with the simple man.

:w00t:  :)

668977[/snapback]

So, you're saying that you favor price controls so that the 50' yacht owners can continue having their fun?

Remember when the states' were running surpluses?  They were rolling back the taxes on gas?... Yep, that was pre-911 days... Right?

Think they can roll back the taxes when the fed has already put the states' in a lurch/red?

668977[/snapback]

Yeah. What's your point?

Folks can spin this BS whatever way they want. Blame China, blame Katrina, blame ANWAR, etc, etc. The truth of the matter is the price of oil has been driven through the roof because of instability in the middle east. Plain and simple. Thanks George, the world loves you.

667628[/snapback]

So when the same network of Muslim terrorists blow up people in areas were Bush doesn't have any troops, is it some how still his fault?

Indian temple city hit by blasts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4782618.stm

Bangladesh suicide bombing kills 8

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/12/0...last/index.html

Yeah.  What's your point?

668980[/snapback]

My point is that taxes gotta be that high given the shortfall(s) that exist... They glady rolled them back for the consumer years back when the price was a hovering around 2 bucks... What for?

Now gas is 3 bucks... The states should act wise and keep the taxes on a gallon of gas.

Not that you really brought up that point... Just trying to make the argument that the states will help the consumer when they have the chance.

:w00t:

So when the same network of Muslim terrorists blow up people in areas were Bush doesn't have any troops, is it some how still his fault?

Indian temple city hit by blasts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4782618.stm

Bangladesh suicide bombing kills 8

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/12/0...last/index.html

668986[/snapback]

Can we get gas out of that Indian temple?

I thought only I made pointless arguments... I guess I got some competition...

;):P

:w00t::)

Can we get gas out of that Indian temple?

I thought only I made pointless arguments... I guess I got some competition...

;)  :P

669028[/snapback]

"The truth of the matter is the price of oil has been driven through the roof because of instability in the middle east. Plain and simple. Thanks George, the world loves you"

I guess the point is the Muslim Terrorists might, just might, have something to do with the "instabilty" in the Middle East. And if is spreads to areas were the US is not involved, and their IS no oil, it might poke a whole in the "Middle East is a mess because of Bush" train of thought. But go ahead, blame the right-wing white christian guy, they don't go on murderous riots over cartoons, negative comments, or movies.

This is just more liberal media bias, c'mon people were in living in a tremendous Economic boom ...... Feel better now :w00t:

669089[/snapback]

More Fun from Islam!

10 reported killed in blasts at Egypt tourist town

Ten people died and about 70 were wounded as three blasts rocked the Egyptian tourist town of Dahab on Monday, the Egyptian Interior Ministry told CNN. The explosions ripped through two cafeterias and a supermarket, the ministry said. The town was packed with packed with tourists because of the Coptic Easter holiday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/24/...asts/index.html

This is just more liberal media bias, c'mon people were in living in a tremendous Economic boom ...... Feel better now ;)

669089[/snapback]

And things are going great in Iraq... Too...

Q&A people that have been there opened my eyes to a lot of interesting points to this type of war we are fightin there... But... We will save that for another thread...

It is all just liberal media bias!

:w00t::)