Robert Wegman passes on

It's heartening to hear folks talking about good experiences with employers. Not all of them are rapacious - good companies and good men and women that still take pride in their community and are very much committed to growing a generation of good, hardworking and decent young citizens.

I'd worked in the grocery stores as a youth. Loblaws, and a year at Tops many years later to supplement when I was in grad school. I also worked for Sunshine's on Hertel Ave.

I have fond memories of Loblaws - they metamorphized into Star Markets then Food Arena. When as a lad working there, they demanded responsibility - and gave it to us. We 16 year-old stockboys ordered the stock for the aisle one was assigned to, based on your experience of sales. We were trusted. And always felt picked on when the office girl caled your name over the PA to go fetch carts. ...:(  And when we were bagging, and an old lady would say "Oh,  Boy...can I have double bags? I have a hand cart." Perfectly correct address - boys are what we were.  :doh::flirt:

In the days before the selling (extortion) of shelf space and the displays at the end of an aisle, they pretty much let us put up excess stock from the "back room" to clear out the bays we had to maintain, and you could expand the shelf space and reduce prices to move the product.  The Blue Laws were still in effect; Sunday was the big stocking day. Nothing was palletized - we picked it off the Rapistan that the driver fed, and put it on carts and then to the shelves or the storage bay.

They very much wanted us to make the grocery biz a career. They made sure we  stock boys also learned things about the produce and meat end of the business, as well as the daily receipts - which was surprising - they really wanted us to learn about the money end, too.  If anything, they made me an astute shopper.

I learned much from my grocer elders, including lessons about how to act as a man...

Loblaws also demanded that the back of the store, where the loading dock was, and the dumpster for the wet stuff, be spotless. The day-old bread, the dented cans, the wilted produce was as far as possible put on racks for the taking. Yesterday's meat was packed in heavily-waxed produce cartons with some ice.

I am very proud of the time I worked in grocery, and thankful to those who taught me.

666929[/snapback]

My grandfather was a manager at Loblaws for several years. Where was your Loblaws located?