Robert Wegman passes on

as funny and pathetic as it sounds, the Wegman's superstore in Pittsford is a tourist attraction. (seriously)

not many supermarkets you can say that about.

Mr. Wegman was a giver in the mold of George Eastman, and the philanthropic torch has been passed to George Golisano.

as funny and pathetic as it sounds, the Wegman's superstore in Pittsford is a tourist attraction.  (seriously)

not many supermarkets you can say that about. 

Mr. Wegman was a giver in the mold of George Eastman, and the philanthropic torch has been passed to George Golisano.

666769[/snapback]

We did a field trip in Pittsford in between practices at Training Camp one year for the out of towners. The place is like a shopping mall! :flirt:

My son worked at a local Wegmans for 8 years, from high school though grad school, and got several thousand dollars in scholarships. For younger workers and collegiates, they work with them around schedules for school activities and holiday breaks.

Bob Wegman was a working man and did good. :doh:

We did a field trip in Pittsford in between practices at Training Camp one year for the out of towners.  The place is like a shopping mall!  :flirt:

My son worked at a local Wegmans for 8 years, from high school though grad school, and got several thousand dollars in scholarships. For younger workers and collegiates, they work with them around schedules for school activities and holiday breaks.

Bob Wegman was a working man and did good.  :doh:

666781[/snapback]

That's nice to hear about. I left Bflo a few years after they opened a store there (I think it was around Sheridan and NF Blvd.), and never shopped at one.

Ok , wegmans is a supermarket, what makes it different then others, just wondering?

666782[/snapback]

hard to explain. kind of like going into a grocery store of the future.

great service, never wait in line, people are friendly and helpful.

Wegman's

Ok , wegmans is a supermarket, what makes it different then others, just wondering?

666782[/snapback]

Here is his bio from the post that started this thread. It may explain a bit more.

Bob Wegman

:doh:

My son worked in produce there and if we are in another store together, he cannnot resist checking out their wares. Many times he told me that he would have refused a truck delivery of the quality found in produce on that store's shelves (especially the Super Wal*Marts).

The BIG Wegmans stores are fun. Everything from milk & eggs, to lawn furniture to gourmet prepared foods, sporting goods, to on site dining rooms.

I would not do my weekly shopping at a Superstore, though. I go to a smaller Wegmans for that! I also buy canned and packaged foods at Wal*Mart because it is "the same stuff" cheaper. :flirt:

It's heartening to hear folks talking about good experiences with employers. Not all of them are rapacious - good companies and good men and women that still take pride in their community and are very much committed to growing a generation of good, hardworking and decent young citizens.

I'd worked in the grocery stores as a youth. Loblaws, and a year at Tops many years later to supplement when I was in grad school. I also worked for Sunshine's on Hertel Ave.

I have fond memories of Loblaws - they metamorphized into Star Markets then Food Arena. When as a lad working there, they demanded responsibility - and gave it to us. We 16 year-old stockboys ordered the stock for the aisle one was assigned to, based on your experience of sales. We were trusted. And always felt picked on when the office girl caled your name over the PA to go fetch carts. ...:( And when we were bagging, and an old lady would say "Oh, Boy...can I have double bags? I have a hand cart." Perfectly correct address - boys are what we were. :doh::flirt:

In the days before the selling (extortion) of shelf space and the displays at the end of an aisle, they pretty much let us put up excess stock from the "back room" to clear out the bays we had to maintain, and you could expand the shelf space and reduce prices to move the product. The Blue Laws were still in effect; Sunday was the big stocking day. Nothing was palletized - we picked it off the Rapistan that the driver fed, and put it on carts and then to the shelves or the storage bay.

They very much wanted us to make the grocery biz a career. They made sure we stock boys also learned things about the produce and meat end of the business, as well as the daily receipts - which was surprising - they really wanted us to learn about the money end, too. If anything, they made me an astute shopper.

I learned much from my grocer elders, including lessons about how to act as a man...

Loblaws also demanded that the back of the store, where the loading dock was, and the dumpster for the wet stuff, be spotless. The day-old bread, the dented cans, the wilted produce was as far as possible put on racks for the taking. Yesterday's meat was packed in heavily-waxed produce cartons with some ice.

I am very proud of the time I worked in grocery, and thankful to those who taught me.

prices are also fabulous if you buy wegmans products...i took my friend in philly to the store in...dowington? and she went nuts buying wegmans products...she was amazed at how much food she could get for her money compared to Whole Foods, which i guess was her only option living in the city near UPenn

I don't think I've seen any sporting goods at wegmans and I shop at the Pittsford store from time to time...I do remember when Wegmans gave up their Bills partnership and sold all their Bills merchandise for ridiculously low prices (t-shirt for 50 cents, football for a dollar, hats for 25-75 cents, sweatshirts $1.50) and really stuck it to Tops...they probably couldn't sell any merchandise for months because everyone stocked up at wegmans

prices are also fabulous if you buy wegmans products...i took my friend in philly to the store in...dowington? and she went nuts buying wegmans products...she was amazed at how much food she could get for her money compared to Whole Foods, which i guess was her only option living in the city near UPenn

I don't think I've seen any sporting goods at wegmans and I shop at the Pittsford store from time to time...I do remember when Wegmans gave up their Bills partnership and sold all their Bills merchandise for ridiculously low prices (t-shirt for 50 cents, football for a dollar, hats for 25-75 cents, sweatshirts $1.50) and really stuck it to Tops...they probably couldn't sell any merchandise for months because everyone stocked up at wegmans

666933[/snapback]

WTF is your avatar? Kinda looks like that chic from LOST

Mr. Wegman was a great man who gave so much back to the community. He was such a refreshing person in today's business world. He will be missed by many. He created a great company that really is the model for the supermarket industry. May he RIP.

The only Wegman's I've ever been in is the one at McKinley Mall near the Ralph.

The closest one to Cleveland is in Erie.

You guys are lucky to have a store like that. The closest we have is Heinen's, and it is but a shadow of what Wegman's is.

Mike

The only Wegman's I've ever been in is the one at McKinley Mall near the Ralph.

The closest one to Cleveland is in Erie.

You guys are lucky to have a store like that.  The closest we have is Heinen's, and it is but a shadow of what Wegman's is.

Mike

666991[/snapback]

Go south!!!! :flirt:

http://www.junglejims.com/index.cfm?fuseac...A4E4B7DD5D6A371