Are the 49ers trying to...

Before last year's draft, I thought in the back of my mind that taking Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers would be a mistake for the number 1 pick. If I were the 49ers last year, I would have taken anyone BUT a quarterback. Why? Because they were gonna suck no matter what and be able to pick up Leinart. That was my thought last year.

This year, they sit in the #6 spot (better than I expected) and they will probably have an option to choose Cutler or Young. Both better than Alex Smith. A LOT better!

Could they be trying to make up for last year's blunder by obtaining another 1st this year?

Before last year's draft, I thought in the back of my mind that taking Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers would be a mistake for the number 1 pick.  If I were the 49ers last year, I would have taken anyone BUT a quarterback.  Why?  Because they were gonna suck no matter what and be able to pick up Leinart.  That was my thought last year.

This year, they sit in the #6 spot (better than I expected) and they will probably have an option to choose Cutler or Young.  Both better than Alex Smith.  A LOT better!

Could they be trying to make up for last year's blunder by obtaining another 1st this year?

666213[/snapback]

Perhaps they are following the Buffalo model? Bills could have gotten Charlie Frye last year. <_<

Yeah, and its not like they have massive amounts of money tied up in Smith or anything. And College QB's take less then one full season of playing time to develop into a starter. I'd call Smith a Bust, and pick up Young. He makes anyteam into SB champs!!!

Maybe they are looking for some really good players from a good draft, and there are 2 they really like but they won't make it past the first round. Its not like they don't have many holes to fill.

The 'niners have so many holes to fill, the more top picks they have the better. They are one team that can go for best available athlete and it would be someone they need (other than QB, give Smith a chance).

How does anyone know that Smith is a bust? Didnt play a full season last year and was a total rookie.

666265[/snapback]

Alex Smith makes JP Losman look like Troy Aikman. Seriously, Smith is gonna be a bust. What a horrible #1 pick that was. I don't think I'd pick a QB if I were SF. In this era, I think you let another team develop and "nuture" a young QB and then you grab him away at the opportune time. I hope we did that with Craig Nall from Green Bay.