hey Tommy,

PzH2000

Saw this last night on Discovery and oh my fuggen God is it a thing of beauty...5 round simultaneous impact.

Edit: if you ever want good artillery, talk to the krauts.

665967[/snapback]

M109A6 can do the same thing, supposedly.

Germans do build good guns, though. Particularly Rheinmetall. Still, I'll take the South African G5. Freakishly good weapon.

Linkie-poo?

666081[/snapback]

Not a good one...and my artillery references are packed for the move already (save one book on Nazi athodyd shells - yeah, I have weird hobbies. I know.)

Designed by Gerald Bull for South Africa; 155 mm gun/howitzer/mortar, on a towed but powered chassis, with excellent accuracy over a thoroughly stupid range (33000 yards with standard ammo, closer on 43000 with full-bore base-bleed rounds.) Crew of five...but can be crewed by two at full rate of fire if all the automatic systems are working.

Sure, it can't fire a single-gun barrage like a M109A6 or PzH2000...but it'll hit either of those reliably before they ever get within range.

Not a good one...and my artillery references are packed for the move already (save one book on Nazi athodyd shells - yeah, I have weird hobbies.  I know.)

Designed by Gerald Bull for South Africa; 155 mm gun/howitzer/mortar, on a towed but powered chassis, with excellent accuracy over a thoroughly stupid range (33000 yards with standard ammo, closer on 43000 with full-bore base-bleed rounds.)  Crew of five...but can be crewed by two at full rate of fire if all the automatic systems are working.

Sure, it can't fire a single-gun barrage like a M109A6 or PzH2000...but it'll hit either of those reliably before they ever get within range.

666118[/snapback]

hard to imagine South Africa has the resourced to build sucha weapon with their economy in the crapper..

hard to imagine South Africa has the resourced to build sucha  weapon with their economy in the crapper..

666123[/snapback]

Maybe not now...but it's a 25-year old system, which makes it all the more amazing, I think. That thing was hitting targets at 30k yards when the 155mm howitzer you played with was struggling to throw a shell 20k yards.

Maybe not now...but it's a 25-year old system, which makes it all the more amazing, I think.  That thing was hitting targets at 30k yards when the 155mm howitzer you played with was struggling to throw a shell 20k yards.

666129[/snapback]

Wow. That is impressive.

And it was automated at that time as well?