Gas price rose 11 cents in the time it took

The biggest threat to OPEC is the Japanese auto makers.  Next year they have a car coming out that runs only on Ethanol.  You can only imagine what type of cars they will have in 5-10 years.

666193[/snapback]

I don't think OPEC is worrying too much about cars that use ethanol. I saw a story last night on the news about E85 ethanol, the variety that's still 15% gasoline and is supposed to be the fuel of the future (excuse me while I have a hearty laugh over that one :flirt::doh::( ). Of the approximately 165,000 gas stations in the U.S. only 600 sell E85 and this is projected to go as high as 1000 stations by the end of the year (again :P:lol::lol: ). The stations that do sell it are reporting that nobody buys it.

But the biggest joke is that ethanol producers don't own gas stations. You can make all the ethanol you want, but if ExxonMobil isn't going to put it into their pumps, what good is it? They may allow it some places so they don't look obstructionist (see E85 above), but they certainly aren't going to make it easy to buy a lower gasoline product as a whole.

Besides, for every Prius or ethanol buyer overe here there are potentially another 100 new Chinese car owners who will buy a gasoline car, not to mention the growth in Chinese industry and it's need for oil (Chinese oil consumption has doubled in the last decade - astounding).

The biggest threat to OPEC is the Japanese auto makers.  Next year they have a car coming out that runs only on Ethanol.  You can only imagine what type of cars they will have in 5-10 years.

666193[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken the final cost per gallon for ethanolis significantl;y higher than that of gasoline. Ethanol production is highly subsidized by the government, ethanol has a lower energy rating than gasoline (you have to burn more of it to do the same amount of work as gasoline) , the machinery used to plant, treat, and harvest corn (the main source of ethanol) all burn gasoline or diesel, the fertilizer used for corn is petroleum based, etc, etc. Ethanol is far from a "free lunch" as far as a motor fuel goes at this stage of the game, and it is certainly not ready to be used as a substitute for gasoline at this time.

I don't think OPEC is worrying too much about cars that use ethanol. I saw a story last night on the news about E85 ethanol, the variety that's still 15% gasoline and is supposed to be the fuel of the future (excuse me while I have a hearty laugh over that one  :flirt:  :doh:  :( ). Of the approximately 165,000 gas stations in the U.S. only 600 sell E85 and this is projected to go as high as 1000 stations by the end of the year (again  :P  :lol:  :lol: ). The stations that do sell it are reporting that nobody buys it.

But the biggest joke is that ethanol producers don't own gas stations. You can make all the ethanol you want, but if ExxonMobil isn't going to put it into their pumps, what good is it? They may allow it some places so they don't look obstructionist (see E85 above), but they certainly aren't going to make it easy to buy a lower gasoline product as a whole.

Besides, for every Prius or ethanol buyer overe here there are potentially another 100 new Chinese car owners who will buy a gasoline car, not to mention the growth in Chinese industry and it's need for oil (Chinese oil consumption has doubled in the last decade - astounding).

667139[/snapback]

One of my coworkers just bought an ethanal truck, and he loves it. It helped that there's a station that sells ethanol right by his house, and that it's quite a bit cheaper. He says he gets the same gas milage as well.

CW