Patriot's Day.

Filers in Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and the District of Columbia have until April 18th because the IRS processing center serving those states is located in Massachusetts, which will be observing the state holiday, Patriot's Day, on Monday.

...is that what I think it is?

...is that what I think it is?

663752[/snapback]

Actaully my wife and I have a yearly debate about this day. Growing up in Boston, she thought it was a national holiday that everyone celebrated. Upon hearing that I informed her that is was just a NE half-ass holiday to "commemorate" Paul Revere's ride.

Ah yes, the second of the BS holidays enjoyed by the folks here in the Boston area. When I first moved here I was stunned that these people "invented" 2 holidays. I called bullschitt on them then, and I call bullschitt on them today.

For those not in the know, here are the BS Boston holidays:

-Evacuation Day - Munipal holiday in the city of Boston to commemorate the evaction of British troops in the Revolutionary War. Washington's troops had the British directly within their canon sites and in those days you actually let your enemy know they were going to be blasted to kingdom come before doing it. The British promptly withdrew. The fact that this historic event happened on and is commemorated every year on March 17th by a city with a tremendous irish pooulation and just happens to coincide with St. Patricks Day is completely coincidental....

Patriots Day - Supposedly to commemorate the ride of Paul Revere, this holiday would be better named "Boston Marathon and Home Red Sox Game/Don't Even Think fo Driving Into Boston Day". Half of Boston is closed down due to the marathon, and those who do make it into work are busy trying to keep up with the Sox score on the Internet. A complete waste of a day, but I actually support this one as it seems pretty reasonable not to even attempt to make people drive into town on a day like today (seriously, even without a marathon or baseball game, getting into Boston is a nightmare - the roads were planned by cows).

I'm thinking of running for office here so I can establish my birthday as a BS holiday - all I have to do is find something historical on "This Day in History" and make it a holiday...

Ah yes, the second of the BS holidays enjoyed by the folks here in the Boston area. When I first moved here I was stunned that these people "invented" 2 holidays. I called bullschitt on them then, and I call bullschitt on them today.

For those not in the know, here are the BS Boston holidays:

-Evacuation Day - Munipal holiday in the city of Boston to commemorate the evaction of British troops in the Revolutionary War. Washington's troops had the British directly within their canon sites and in those days you actually let your enemy know they were going to be blasted to kingdom come before doing it. The British promptly withdrew. The fact that this historic event happened on and is commemorated every year on March 17th by a city with a tremendous irish pooulation and just happens to coincide with St. Patricks Day is completely coincidental....

Patriots Day - Supposedly to commemorate the ride of Paul Revere, this holiday would be better named "Boston Marathon and Home Red Sox Game/Don't Even Think fo Driving Into Boston Day". Half of Boston is closed down due to the marathon, and those who do make it into work are busy trying to keep up with the Sox score on the Internet. A complete waste of a day, but I actually support this one as it seems pretty reasonable not to even attempt to make people drive into town on a day like today (seriously, even without a marathon or baseball game, getting into Boston is a nightmare - the roads were planned by cows).

I'm thinking of running for office here so I can establish my birthday as a BS holiday - all I have to do is find something historical on "This Day in History" and make it a holiday...

663906[/snapback]

When were these commemorative dates established? Do you think they were established with the express purpose of hurting the people? :)

Awaiting your facts and response...

Actaully my wife and I have a yearly debate about this day.  Growing up in Boston, she thought it was a national holiday that everyone celebrated.  Upon hearing that I informed her that is was just a NE half-ass holiday to "commemorate" Paul Revere's ride.

663893[/snapback]

It actually was Dr. Prescott's ride, despite the Longfellow(?) poem.

Revere and a man named Dawes were caught and detained by the British.

When were these commemorative dates established? Do you think they were established with the express purpose of hurting the people? :)

Awaiting your facts and response...

663940[/snapback]

???

Not saying the holidays hurt anyone - I just think they're BS (sorry of you're a big Evacuation Day or Patriots Day kinda guy - perhaps these are Cinci holidays as well?).

FYI - Evacuation Day was a holiday starting in 1901, and Patriots Day became an official holiday in 1969 (curiously, the third Monday of April, the date of the observance has had a Red Sox home game on this Monday every year since 1960).

bull sh-- holiday or not I think it's a great time of year for a holiday. Most people don't get a day for Easter so it's nice to have a day like this off when the weather is starting to get nice after the long winter. I don't think we take enough holidays in this country and I wish it were like it was when I was a kid and EVERYTHING would be closed. Seems like people use holidays these days simply as an excuse to go to Wal-Mart all day.

Yes, it's a stupid fake holiday, but damn was it fun. There's nothing better than leaving work at 12 and being absolutely wasted by 1. They should have a Patriot's Day every month.