2006 Draft - Most over hyped ever

The players in this draft have been strangely over hyped. My comments on the supposed top ten:

Bush - if he's so good why aren't teams clammoring to get the top pick to get him????

Williams - looks great, but it's been said time and time again that he doesn't play hard

Leinart - he's seen as the best QB (do the gurus know that V. Young declared?)

DBrick - a OT that can't run block...yippee!

AJ Hawk - he should be a good one

Huff - looks like he'll be a worthy top 10 pick

Davis - looks more into body building and looking good than being a tough hard nosed tight end

Young - (see Huff)

NGata - dude looks completely out of shape

Justice - any hint of being a pot head and I'd cross his name off the board

I don't think the top players are the can't misses that everyone is saying they are. The more I look at this class the more I see Hawk, Huff and Young as being the only potential probowlers in this group.

The players in this draft have been strangely over hyped. My comments on the supposed top ten:

Bush - if he's so good why aren't teams clammoring to get the top pick to get him????

Williams - looks great, but it's been said time and time again that he doesn't play hard

Davis - looks more into body building and looking good than being a tough hard nosed tight end

Young - (see Huff)

I don't think the top players are the can't misses that everyone is saying they are. The more I look at this class the more I see Hawk, Huff and Young as being the only potential probowlers in this group.

663628[/snapback]

American Idol rules! :angry:

Why is no one giving Omar Jacobs a look?

Sure he's a junior, but the kid was 41/4 in TD/INT and has never been below 61% in comp. %. I disagree with Leinart, but most of your others were right on. I think Vince is a slightly less Vick, and I believe that Cutler is incredibly overhyped.

If we draft a QB.

MAKE IT JACOBS.

Have you ever seen Reggie Bush play? The kid is the best RB prospect in a long time. The kid can catch, hes explosive as all hell, hes a great kid and he has a knack for scoring TDs. You lost me at "Bush - if he's so good why aren't teams clammoring to get the top pick to get him????" :angry:

Young - (see Huff)

663628[/snapback]

Looks like pure unfounded speculation to me. How is yours any different than anyone elses?

Have you ever seen Reggie Bush play?  The kid is the best RB prospect in a long time.  The kid can catch, hes explosive as all hell, hes a great kid and he has a knack for scoring TDs.  You lost me at  "Bush - if he's so good why aren't teams clammoring to get the top pick to get him????" :angry:

663634[/snapback]

He's looks too small and NFL defenses are much faster than those in college. Sorry, but if he were so good why wouldn't the Jets be interested in trading into the top pick to get him?

Have you ever seen Reggie Bush play?  The kid is the best RB prospect in a long time.  The kid can catch, hes explosive as all hell, hes a great kid and he has a knack for scoring TDs.  You lost me at  "Bush - if he's so good why aren't teams clammoring to get the top pick to get him????" :angry:

663634[/snapback]

Indeed. He is a remarkable football player that seems to be able to plant either foot at will and get a tremendous accleration in any direction.

A rare talent.

Young - (see Huff)

663628[/snapback]

The 2006 draft class isn't overhyped. You chose to focus on the top 10, but the hype refers more to the depth of the class.

Even so, the positives in most of those top 10 players you listed FAR outweigh their negatives. No drafted player has ever been perfect - they've all had weaknesses. When all is said and done, the top 10 in this draft will probably compare very well to the top 10 in previous years.

Years from now, I think 6 of these will be perennial Pro Bowlers:

Bush

Ferguson

Hawk

Huff

Davis

Ngata

I think Leinart and Super Mario are a bit overrated for top 5 standards, but nevertheless should have solid careers.

Young and Justice could be huge busts, or they could be Hall of Famers under the right circumstances! The talent is certainly there; the personality may not be.

6 Pro Bowlers, 8 perennial starters, 2 busts....not bad for a top 10 class!

Count me in as one of those who is very hyped up about this particular draft...

1. Reggie Bush has the portential to be a real difference maker in the NFL, easily the best RB prospect since LT. Although he is unlikley to be the workhorse that LT has become, Bush is so explosive, that he will change the way defensive coordinators gameplan. The only reason I don't think other teams are trying to move up to get him is that Houston has pretty much made it known that they intend to take him -- and only a knock-your-socks off type of trade would get them to budge. Thus, only the teams picking at the top of the the draft already would have such ammunition -- and those teams all have too many needs to trade away draft picks for a single player, even one as enticing as Bush. Also, the Texans' greatest need (like ours) is along the OL, and they know that this draft is pretty well stocked with linmen through the first 3-4 rounds. Thus, they can afford to stay pat and draft Bush.

2. The #2 spot is interesting, namely because the Saints just paid big money for Drew Brees. That would seemingly take them out of the Matt Leinart sweepstakes, but they have also made it known that they would be willing to trade down with the right partner. If they do trade, what team is likely to deal with them? The rumor is the Jets. However, if the Titans are set on taking a QB at #3 -- do we know for sure whether they like Young or Leinart better? If the Jets like Leinart and feel that the Titans prefer Young, it may be in Jets' best interest to stay at #4. If there is no trade, do the Saints take Mario Williams?

3. Depending on what happens at #2, this is where the real drama starts. If the Saints don't trade down -- and do take, say, Mario, then that leaves Tennessee to decide which QB they want. Does Chow have fond memories of Leinart -- or does the coaching staff want to have McNair mentor Vince Young? With a messy salary cap situation, the Titans may elect to trade down to avoid paying the kind of coin that a rookie QB drafted in the top 3 would command. Like the Saints, though, will they manage to find a trading partner even if they wanted to?

4. The Jets will torment themselves watching to see what the Saints and Titans do. If they are dead set on one of the QBs, they may elect to ease anxiety by trading up with the Saints. However, the Jets are in real need of help at MANY positions, so they can't afford to be giving away important draft picks to move up 2 spots in this draft. If they get lucky and the Saints do stay put and draft Mario Williams, while Tennessee selects Young, Leinart could fall to them at #4. Unliklely, but if that happens, then the Bills could be the real winner with Ferguson falling all the way to 8.

The way I see it, there is some high drama early on that will affect how the rest of the draft goes. Additionally, there are a couple of teams (Minny and Denver) who could be in the market to trade up into the top 10.

Even after the first round, this draft is so deep that there is plenty of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That, coupled with the knowledge that we have that extra pick in the 3rd, means that I am less worried about the team taking the best playmaker at #8, rather than INSISTING on taking a DL or OL.

Maybe the quality of this year's draft is being overhyped. We won't know the answer to that for a number fo years. However, I like the drama and excitement that is sure to be there in less than 2 weeks!