The Bills

5 Wide

I was reading all the stories about the CBA, the economic viability of the Buffalo region, the revenue sharing qualifiers, and the impending doom of the Buffalo Bills. I have to admit, this really toned down my otherwise cheerful mood. Then I looked outside, realized that winter was really over, and it was in the 60's and sunny. This gave me a new perspective. What is the true nature of the Bills and Buffalo? Is it the player, or the jersey? Is it the team itself or the notion of competing on the nations favorite stage. Is it winning and losing or tailgating and being entertained? The collective mood of an entire region depends on the right arm of a kid who grew up in Venice Beach, and a RB who would just assume collect his check and retreat to his palm trees. It's sad that domestic violence in the area goes up after a Bills loss. So what exactly is it that the Bills really mean to Buffalo? To me it's throwin steaks on the grill, a cooler full of Blue, 5 really good friends and a football game. It's not about a bunch of imported millionaires with a "blue collar work ethic" whose Range Rover's join the parade of Cavaliers and Taurus's on Abbot road a few hours after the lights go out. I wouldn't say I identify myself with the Bills or that the Bills identify Buffalo. I doubt that Nate Clements would ring me up for a post game party at his place. Takeo Spikes rehabs waiting for the moment to run out of the tunnel to hear people scream his name.....but if they were yelling it in Carolina or Dallas I doubt his workouts would be any less intense. Just like E Moulds is ecstatic about the chance to "put on a show" for Texans fans, the NFL is about gratification for the moment, and for the individual. The NFL is about getting paid, no matter the color of your jersey or which "greatest fans in the league" pack the stands beneath the luxury boxes. No matter how much we remember the "glory days" and romanticize the league, nothing can change the path of a corporation no long bound by the rules on which it was founded. I'm a season ticket holder, but the games will no longer be about the 11 men on the field, it's about the 72,000 people that surround it. Just like everyone else, I'll yell, and I'll get excited when (if) the Bills win, but it will all be within context now. I'll still follow the roster moves, and watch the draft, but I won't toss and turn if JP hurls that crucial interception. I'll buy my tickets if they go 16-0 or 2-14, but my cake won't taste any sweeter with either scenerio. I realize that I don't love the Bills as much as I love the experience that only 30 something cities get to experience. I just wanted to share my thoughts about what I think the league really is and why I believe that the only name on the Wall of Fame that really matters is the one that reads 12th Man.

Thanks for a deep, well thought post. The TBD webmaster posted something similar and at the end of the day, you are both correct imo.

I don't torture myself after a Bills loss anywhere near as much as I used to, and it was a good decision. That said, I maintain that part of being a Bills Fan is to never give up. I still believe that we will win a superbowl some day.

>>>>> So what exactly is it that the Bills really mean to Buffalo?<<<<<

This would probably be a question worthy of hours of discussion. Others such as Bob Lamb, Steve in Lancaster and Mark are far more able than me to answer this question, and I hope that they chime in here. Still, I will offer an unqualified opinion.

I am of the opinion that out of town Bills Fans spend a lot of money in WNY. Others have called it a drop in the bucket, but it sure feels like I have spent big bucks for 12 consecutive years. In other words, I think that the Bills are vital to the WNY economy, especially because it is said to be generally depressed.

Also, I truly like WNY, and believe that if the Bills leave Buffalo, it will strip WNY residents of some of their pride and identity. A case could be made that things as important as this shouldn't be tied into a football team, but that doesn't make my statement false.

People talk about LA needing a franchise. Maybe so, but so does the state of New York.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!