The Aussies used to be open minded

aussiew

Cheerleaders asked to cover up

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?ca...tn_cheerleaders

663017[/snapback]

SYDNEY, Australia - Australian cheerleaders have been banned from baring midriffs by officials of the sport who fear displays of skin may encourage eating disorders.

There's one big difference, though. They're asked to cover up because "officials" fear it might cause eating disorders in younger girls... pressure to fit into a tiny uniform and all that. Here, however, they're asked to cover up because it's indecent and sinful.

Either way, you're right. A case of a gov't protecting it's citizens from themselves.

-Jeff

How about dressing them all in giant twinkie suits to encourage young girls to feel good about themselves no matter what their eating and exercise habits are?

663031[/snapback]

I had that same thought, but then you just have to worry about the self-esteem issues a teenage girl would have to face if she was ordered to dress up as a Twinkie in front of all of her friends, no? The only safe path is to choose each girl carefully, to reflect the demographic exactly.

So.. lets say there are 10 positions on the squad. They'll need to look at the local population. After that's done, they can plan the squad out to reflect the actual real-life breakdown. Lets say there are 1 black folks, 2 asians, 6 "cheerleader" style, and 1 over weight white girl. I went a bit low on the black population because in the time I spent out there, I don't think I saw any one that fit that description. However, you need representation - just in case - don't want to hurt any maybe feelings.

It's important to take every precaution necessary to ensure every build, weight, and race is properly represented, regardless of pure athletic ability.

Then, and only then, will everyone be happy. It works for us!

-Jeff

:huh:

I had that same thought, but then you just have to worry about the self-esteem issues a teenage girl would have to face if she was ordered to dress up as a Twinkie in front of all of her friends, no? The only safe path is to choose each girl carefully, to reflect the demographic exactly.

So.. lets say there are 10 positions on the squad.  They'll need to look at the local population. After that's done, they can plan the squad out to reflect the actual real-life breakdown. Lets say there are 1 black folks, 2 asians, 6 "cheerleader" style, and 1 over weight white girl.  I went a bit low on the black population because in the time I spent out there, I don't think I saw any one that fit that description. However, you need representation - just in case - don't want to hurt any maybe feelings.

It's important to take every precaution necessary to ensure every build, weight, and race is properly represented, regardless of pure athletic ability.

Then, and only then, will everyone be happy. It works for us!

-Jeff

:huh:

663060[/snapback]

You left out the two gay guys.

How about dressing them all in giant twinkie suits to encourage young girls to feel good about themselves no matter what their eating and exercise habits are?

663031[/snapback]

I agree with the plan, but not with some of the details. I suggest they get dressed up either as a Hostess Cupcake or Tastycake. Someone will need to be the icer, though.

I agree with the plan, but not with some of the details. I suggest they get dressed up either as a Hostess Cupcake or Tastycake. Someone will need to be the icer, though.

663063[/snapback]

A tad ironic to this, but I have sort of a "buddy" that's the daughter of a friend of mine. She is really heavy into the cheerleading thing, they do it competitively. Great kid. Recently turned 17. She probably weighs 95 pounds soaking wet and her biggest problem with her "looks" is that she's so skinny and can't eat enough to "fill out", as she puts it.