Assuming the top 7 are (in no particular order):

Bush

Leinert

Young

Hawk

Mario Williams

D'Brick

Vernon Davis

How likely is it any of these guys fall to us at 8? What scenario can you come up with where it might happen.

Could NY Take Deangelo Williams?

Could GB Take Jay Cutler?

Could NY, GB and OAK all take a QB?

Would GB take Leinert if TEN takes young at #3?

Could ARZ, STL or BAL trade up to take a QB?

If D'Brick gets past NYJ, who takes him before buffalo?

HOU - Bush

NO - Mario

TEN -Young

NYJ -Leinert

GB - Hawk

SF -Davis

ARZ/STL - Cutler

BUF - D'Brick (?)

HOU - Bush

NO - D'Brick

TEN - Leinert

NYJ - Young

GB - Hawk

SF - Davis

OAK - Cutler

BUF - Mario (??)

There seems to be a suprise every year in the top of the draft... Dream (semi-realistically)...how could one of the big 7 fall to us. Come back in 2 weeks and brag!

Assuming the top 7 are (in no particular order):

Bush

Leinert

Young

Hawk

Mario Williams

D'Brick

Vernon Davis

How likely is it any of these guys fall to us at 8?  What scenario can you come up with where it might happen.

If D'Brick gets past NYJ, who takes him before buffalo?

HOU - Bush

NO - Mario

TEN -Young

NYJ -Leinert

GB - Hawk

SF -Davis

ARZ/STL - Cutler

BUF - D'Brick (?)

HOU - Bush

NO - D'Brick

TEN - Leinert

NYJ - Young

GB - Hawk

SF - Davis

OAK - Cutler

BUF - Mario (??)

There seems to be a suprise every year in the top of the draft... Dream (semi-realistically)...how could one of the big 7 fall to us.  Come back in 2 weeks and brag!

662820[/snapback]

I know these are THE big 7 now, but that doesn't mean they are OUR big 7. Still I think you can make a case for all of these players being better than the alternatives at #8, and realistically I would probably pick any of the seven you listed before anybody you didn't list.

If it was a QB falling I would rather trade down because another team will value them more highly than we do, but I don't think I would pass on Bush, D'Brick, Hawk, Davis, or Mario to pick anybody else at #8.

A lot can happen on and before draft day, so we have to be agile and smart, and three years from now have people giving us the A for this draft.

Hawk has a good chance of falling, not because he isn't a great athlete and could be the best and most sure thing in this draft, but the depth is strong, and I can see reasons for teams like green Bay (Ngata, Huff,) SF (Davis, Huff) and Oakland (young, Ngata, Huff, davis) to let him by. If that is the case I could also see us letting him slip.

Don't forget that if any of the big names happen to drop a couple of slots (D'Brick, Mario, etc), there are going to be other teams itching to move up and grab them way before we get a shot at them.

The trade-up scenarios will be the ones that allow one of these guys to fall to us.

Scenario 1:

Panthers at 27 trade with the Jets to take AJ Hawk one pick before Green Bay, because the Panthers lost Will Witherspoon in free agency and haven't replaced him. This causes Green Bay to pick Cornerback Jimmy Williams. Ahmad Carroll isn't their idea of a top-flight CB--Williams is. The 49'ers take Huff, as their safeties are worse than ours (Mike Adams and Keith Lewis). Al Davis takes Vince Young, and the Bills have a choice of Mario or D'Brick.

Scenario 2: Denver wants a Shannon Sharpe-like tight end--Vernon Davis. So it packages both of its 1st Rounders (15 and 22, value=1830 points) and trades them to the Jets for #4 (1800 points). Denver takes Vernon Davis at 4, Packers get AJ Hawk at 5, SF gets Huff at 6, Oakland gets Young, and the Bills have a choice of Mario or D'Brick.

Scenario 3: Ravens want a Safety in Round 1, and Huff's their man. At #13 (1150 points), the Ravens know Huff will be long gone by their pick. They offer Green Bay their 13 and next year's first-rounder to grab Huff. 49'ers need a LB, S, WR more than a QB or DE. They select the guy who they thought GBay would pick--AJ Hawk. The Raiders, whose value board was Michael Huff, Vernon Davis, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, and Haloti Ngata, pick DT.

1. Texans-----------------Bush

2. Saints------------------Leinart

3. Titans------------------Young

5. Ravens (from GBay)--Huff

6. 49'ers-------------------AJ Hawk

7. Oakland Raiders-------Ngata or Bunkley or Cutler

8. Bills---------------------DT or Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Hawk has a good chance of falling, not because he isn't a great athlete and could be the best and most sure thing in this draft, but the depth is strong, and I can see reasons for teams like green Bay (Ngata, Huff,) SF (Davis, Huff) and Oakland (young, Ngata, Huff, davis) to let him by.  If that is the case I could also see us letting him slip.

662880[/snapback]

Agreed. The qbs and LTs go early every year. This season, there appears to be a glut of linebackers, making Hawk a likely candidate. The Bills appeared to be stocked at lb when we took Cowart with our first selection. I wouldn't be unhappy with Hawk.

What we need to wish for is that one of the top 7 teams grabs Huff, so that Levy doesn't squander this pick on a defensive back.

no

no, they like aaron rogers

i really dont think GB will take a QB w/o even trying out rogers for a year

no

yes possibly, this could happen i think

The trade-up scenarios will be the ones that allow one of these guys to fall to us.

Scenario 1:

Panthers at 27 trade with the Jets to take AJ Hawk one pick before Green Bay, because the Panthers lost Will Witherspoon in free agency and haven't replaced him. This causes Green Bay to pick Cornerback Jimmy Williams. Ahmad Carroll isn't their idea of a top-flight CB--Williams is. The 49'ers take Huff, as their safeties are worse than ours (Mike Adams and Keith Lewis).  Al Davis takes Vince Young, and the Bills have a choice of Mario or D'Brick.

Normally, i would say that panthers scenario sounds likely, but not in this years draft. There are a ton of 1st rd LB's in this draft and they can easily get a great one at the end of the round, where in years past that wasnt the case. Now, id they feel they are only a few players away, and dont mind giving up the picks then just maybe, but they are at #27 and they would have to give up a considerable amount to basically move up a whole round, which is unlikely.

I totally agree with you on the 49ers and Huff. I think both the niners and oakland's Safety situations are worse than ours, and he could go to either one of those teams.

Scenario 2: Denver wants a Shannon Sharpe-like tight end--Vernon Davis. So it packages both of its 1st Rounders (15 and 22, value=1830 points) and trades them to the Jets for #4 (1800 points).

This is probably the most likely scenario to play out. Denver is only a few players away, and their offense misses a TE and they have the picks to move up easily.

Lets not forget about Minnesota. I think Denver and Minn both want to move up, the Vikings are hot on getting a QB, watch for them.

Scenario 3: Ravens want a Safety in Round 1, and Huff's their man. At #13 (1150 points), the Ravens know Huff will be long gone by their pick. They offer Green Bay their 13 and next year's first-rounder to grab Huff.

663101[/snapback]

I dont really see this playing out. I dont think they will want to have 2 of the same safeties in their defensive backfield. Ed Reed and Huff are the same style, both coverage safeties, they need a safety to be able to play up in the box like Demps did, i dont see Huff fitting their style of SS.

If Hawk falls we need to jump all over that!

663886[/snapback]

If Hawk falls to #8 this team will be helped most if we run (not walk since we only have 15 minutes) and trade down to some team salivating to get him and pick up at least a couple of extra first day choices or one extra first day choice and a first next year. This is in addition to us trading first round positions this year.

I think Hawk is a great player and likely to immediately start whereever he goes. However, we are contractually committed in terms of cap hir and dollar value to TKO, Fletch, and Crowell getting LB starter money from us. We even havePosey under contract for starter level LB money and we may well have to cut him and endure his dead space even without a move.

We also have aolid back-ups with contractual cap commitments to Haggan and Stamer on the outside. We would get a great player in AJ Hawk if we drafted him, but we would do great damage to our true goal for getting as many Ws as quickly as possible if we drafted Hawk at 8.

Not only does he set this team back this year by having Ralph spend huge money for someone to sit on the bench (he has shown he hates that) but we also set this team back this year and potentially another year because we pass on getting 1st round talent who can fill one of out actual current roster holes.

AJ Hawk is a trenmendous player who would be a tremendous pick for the Bills, but he would be good for the 2007 or 2006 LA Bills because this team might be out of here after we got through a 3-14 season with a good or at least adequate LB sitting on the bench and no one on our current roster capable of playing DT next to Triplett or SS for us.

Its probably Coy Wire who is rooting hardest for Hawk to fall to #8 and for us to take him.

My dream scenario is for us to scare Detroit so much we are going to take Huff that they trade us value merely to swithc positions. This triggers a scenario where we end up trading 2 oe 3 times in the first and get extra value and still draft Bunkley.