Most of the nation say we should take a Vernon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the players we should think about for Tackles --I have eliminated the character issue folk:

Round 1: Justice

Round 2: Daryn Colledge, Ryan O'Callaghan, Andrew Whitworth, Jonathan Scott, Charles Spencer.

Round 3:Willie Hall, Marcus McNeill

Round 2 seems to be the optimal time to take your OT.

At Guard, same thing:

Round 1: Nobody

Round 2: Max Jean-Gilles

Round 3: Fred Matua USC mean; Mark Setterstrom versatile; Tony Palmer strong, experienced, run-stuffer; Taitusi Lutui quick, raw.

Round 3 seems to be a good time to get a Guard.

This leaves Round 1 to pick the best athlete available who can transform your team. A fast TE would do that.

Guest dog14787
What I can understand is why people are saying we should take a TE with the 8th pick.  Clearly there is something wrong this this picture.

663188[/snapback]

A good TE is a Young QB's best friend , any QB's for that matter. Something the Bill's have been lacking since Reimersmia's departure. :angry:

I'm getting a little tired of the Roscoe bashing.  This was not TD's worst move.  Tell me someone from picks 56-85 who is clearly a better player or who would have had a much bigger impact on the 2006 season? 

662789[/snapback]

ok

56 Denver Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State

57 N.Y. Jets Justin Miller CB Clemson

59 Atlanta Jonathan Babineaux DT Iowa

64 Baltimore Adam Terry T Syracuse

70 Miami Channing Crowder MLB Florida

71 Tampa Bay Alex Smith TE Stanford

79 Carolina Evan Mathis G Alabama

83 Cincinnati Chris Henry WR West Virginia

The Bills have no go to guy in the redzone. We actually were there more then you'd believe we just didn't score. We increase that redzone efficiency just a bit and it's the difference between 4-12 and 8-8.

The Bills have no go to guy in the redzone.  We actually were there more then you'd believe we just didn't score.  We increase that redzone efficiency just a bit and it's the difference between 4-12 and 8-8.

663689[/snapback]

That's what happpens when you use only one running back, and don't have a TE or FB that can catch or a coaching staff that is unwiling to make the call...

I think we should go for a second string punter. If Moorman gets hurt we might really need him or her. Come to think of it if we draft davis the Number 8 can sit on the bench with all those other tight ends that we've drafted and wonder why everyone is running through our porous defensive line. :)

I think we should go for a second string punter.  If Moorman gets hurt we might really need him or her.  Come to think of it if we draft davis the Number 8 can sit on the bench with all those other tight ends that we've drafted and wonder why everyone is running through our porous defensive line. :)

663719[/snapback]

Our other recently drafted TE's don't sit on the bench, they sit in the training room and on the IR cause they can't stay healthy.

I understand everyones demand that the Bills fix the lines, but is a guy drafted at #8 going to make so much more of a difference then drafting one in the 2nd? They say its a deep, talented draft this year. As long as Marv takes a couple of Linemen in the first day, I think we will see an improved line.

If we don't get someone to replace Moulds, our Defensive line won't even be able to sit on the bench to wonder why we can't score in the red zone

Our other recently drafted TE's don't sit on the bench, they sit in the training room and on the IR cause they can't stay healthy.

I understand everyones demand that the Bills fix the lines, but is a guy drafted at #8 going to make so much more of a difference then drafting one in the 2nd? They say its a deep, talented draft this year. As long as Marv takes a couple of Linemen in the first day, I think we will see an improved line.

If we don't get someone to replace Moulds, our Defensive line won't even be able to sit on the bench to wonder why we can't score in the red zone

663743[/snapback]

What QB will have the time to complete the pass? A spiffy TE doesn't repair a train wreck... :)

What QB will have the time to complete the pass? A spiffy TE doesn't repair a train wreck... :)

663750[/snapback]

Will drafting a OT (who is available of the #8 pick and is not a reach) really make our o-line a force to be reckoned with? If it was a choice between a playmaker to replace Moulds with the #8 pick or reach to get a linemen just because we need one at 8, give me the playmaker, theres 6 more rounds and multiple more picks to bring in linemen to rebuild the trainwreck. You don't pass up on a player with tremendous skills, just because you have a couple of guys who can't stay healthy on the bench you want to see play. A play making TE will put another receiving target on the field for the Bills, that the defences will have to plan for and lessen the rush on the QB, which in turn means there won't be so many players the o-line needs to block, which means they will have it easier, and hopefully look much better.

But this also depends if Davis even falls to 8.

Even if Williams had turned into a perrenial Pro Bowler, I still would feel TD neglected the offensive line.  In his years in Buffalo, he did the following:

- Used three first day picks on WRs.

- Used two first day picks on RBs.

- Used three first day picks on QBs.

- Used just two first day picks on OL.  Of those two, one was a bust, and the other was allowed to leave via free agency after just four years.

Count the starters on the field: two WRs, one RB, one QB, and five OL.  Add to that the fact one of the WR spots was locked up with Eric Moulds, and there really isn't an excuse for TD's overall drafting patterns.

662876[/snapback]

These points really present a superficial examination which does not match some good posts you have done in the past.

I think it is clear that if one ones to try to make the broad general claim that TD neglected developing the OL rather than the more focused point that TD neglected the OL in the single area of the draft, then one needs to also include an analysis of TD, FA, UDFA and trade OL acquisitions.

I can see why you might skip over this point because it simply is more complex and nuanced than the claim you made of TD not picking a bunch of OL players on the first day as though that somehow totally reflects a commitment to OL development.

If anything, I think TD actually showed quite a bit of commitment to the OL on dradt day (and perhaps too much as I disagree with their seeming strategic choice of drafting players late they planned to train into great OL players rather than trying to buy at least one FA stud OL player).

Though they did draft 3 WRs while only drafting 2 OL players on the first day, overall, they did draft at least 1 and usually 2 OL players each draft. As Evans is a stud, Reed is still on the team and Parrish is too early to draw a conclusion I think it is hard to say that the Bills were idiots to draft these three WRs when they took them.

Further, if you want to poo-poo their selection of OL guys on the 2nd day, it makes more sense to fault them for draft OL late and develop them strategy rather than make the false claim they were ignoring any effort to reload at OL as the team demonstrated a clear history of drafting second day players and developing them into players who got to start (again a measure of a flawed strategy rather than of them neglecting the position.

If you want to make such broad claims and present a convincing case then you need to go a lot deeper in your analysis.

Will drafting a OT (who is available of the #8 pick and is not a reach) really make our o-line a force to be reckoned with? If it was a choice between a playmaker to replace Moulds with the #8 pick or reach to get a linemen just because we need one at 8, give me the playmaker, theres 6 more rounds and multiple more picks to bring in linemen to rebuild the trainwreck. You don't pass up on a player with tremendous skills, just because you have a couple of guys who can't stay healthy on the bench you want to see play. A play making TE will put another receiving target on the field for the Bills, that the defences will have to plan for and lessen the rush on the QB, which in turn means there won't be so many players the o-line needs to block, which means they will have it easier, and hopefully look much better.

But this also depends if Davis even falls to 8.

663779[/snapback]

I don't deny your point, but usually, the spiffy pass catcher doesn't turn things around. DET for several years. HOU and AZ. Moss with OAK.

Most of today's big-noise recievers are just so much flash; rule changes recently and certainly since bump and run was banned has made for a bunch of ersatz notables. It's far easier to be considered a star now, than in days of yore.

First off, I really do not see Vernon Davis falling to #8 so to me this is all a moot point.

I cannot see the 49ers or even the Raiders passing on a guy like Davis. if the Bills want Davis, they have to trade up....and IMO, the ONLY player right now I see worth trading up for is Mario Williams.

First off, I really do not see Vernon Davis falling to #8 so to me this is all a moot point.

I cannot see the 49ers or even the Raiders passing on a guy like Davis.  if the Bills want Davis, they have to trade up....and IMO, the ONLY player right now I see worth trading up for is Mario Williams.

663811[/snapback]

My point is if Davis is there at #8, you take him. If SF (who could pick anybody available and it would be an upgrade for them) or Oakland (may be looking at Young to be the QB of the future for them) pass on VD, then Buffalo should not. I don't think there is anybody in this draft that is worthy of the Bills trading up for. There are to many needs on this team to be trading picks to move up, and the draft is deep with very little drop off in player quality at there positions that the Bills couldn't get a good player at that position anywhere on day 1 of the draft.

Guest dog14787
The Bills have no go to guy in the redzone.  We actually were there more then you'd believe we just didn't score.  We increase that redzone efficiency just a bit and it's the difference between 4-12 and 8-8.

663689[/snapback]

Very good point !! :D

Add a half decent O-line and we might just make the playoffs!!! :)

I cannot see the 49ers or even the Raiders passing on a guy like Davis.  if the Bills want Davis, they have to trade up....and IMO, the ONLY player right now I see worth trading up for is Mario Williams.

663811[/snapback]

Williams is not likely to fall to the Bills, and even if he was around at the 8th pich I think Davis would be a pretty good choice. Look at team like the Falcons, Cheifs, and Chargers. The main reason why they are so good is because of thier TE, except for the Falcons who have both a good DE and TE. Either way taking a TE is a must for the Bills. How long has it been since the Bills had a quality TE like an Antonio Gates......... :w00t:

Williams is not likely to fall to the Bills, and even if he was around at the 8th pich I think Davis would be a pretty good choice. 

664244[/snapback]

No, he would be an insane choice over Williams.

Pass rushing defensive ends are extremely hard to get, especially big ones.

Are you seriously telling us that you would prefer any tight end in football to Julius Peppers? This is who Mario is being compared to.