Will the Bills trade out of the 8th pick because

If the big 6 are gone (as expected), and cutler is sitting there, I expect us to move the pick. If cutler is also gone, It will be harder to move the pick, and I think we stand pat and take either Ngata, Bunkley, Huff or Davis.

The key to trading down is Cutler (or yonug) staying off the board until we pick.

Tennessee taking Young will really wrinkle this draft.

Just been wondering if the Bills will keep the pick and pay a big salary or move out and trade down and take on a lesser deal> :rolleyes:

662296[/snapback]

Since the Bills, and every other team, is compelled to spend most of their cap on players, the "Ralph is cheap" refrain is old, tired, and outdated. The question is do we want to be held up by some high draft pick who thinks he's god's gift to football. Overpaying a player, be it a rookie or an FA, is always a bad idea.

PTR

firstngoal, you have to first understand what Ralph is actually concerned about -- it's not rookie contracts. Rookie contracts are "slotted" and manageable. What makes the NFL "unfair" in Ralph's eyes are the huge signing bonuses the rich teams can pay to free agents, as well as the money they can spend to lure coaching talent. The draft is really not an issue.

If the Bills move out of the #8 slot, it will be because they believe they can get the players they want further down and don't have the available players at #8 graded highly enough.

Since the Bills, and every other team, is compelled to spend most of their cap on players, the "Ralph is cheap" refrain is old, tired, and outdated.  The question is do we want to be held up by some high draft pick who thinks he's god's gift to football.  Overpaying a player, be it a rookie or an FA, is always a bad idea.

PTR

662318[/snapback]

I know we have to spend X amount on rookie salaries but the signing bonus is much larger for a top 10 pick then one at #17.

I know we have to spend X amount on rookie salaries but the signing bonus is much larger for a top 10 pick then one at #17.

662323[/snapback]

But then you also have to factor in the two other picks and the bonus for each. Money won't be the reason for a trade, value in the way of picks will be. As JimBob Cooter said earlier, if there is one QB left when our pick rolls around things could get very interesting.

662323[/snapback]

That's still manageble under the cap. A $49 million offer sheet (and $16 million in guaranteed money) for a FA OG is another matter.

Just been wondering if the Bills will keep the pick and pay a big salary or move out and trade down and take on a lesser deal> :huh:

662296[/snapback]

Yes. Rumors swirling around OBD have Marv trading all of our picks in this year's draft to Detroit for a single skybox so Ralph can watch his hometown Detroit Lions in grand style. Screw the Buffalo fans. They won't pay more to see The Bills, I will only sign UFAs.

Just been wondering if the Bills will keep the pick and pay a big salary or move out and trade down and take on a lesser deal> :huh:

662296[/snapback]

thats what I think will happen, I also think thats why they didnt move back into the first round last year.

its a shame the Bills only made 10 mil last year, I feel sorry for them...give me a break. Ralph is crying the blues to distract the fans from the fact that his team BLOWS. I am so disgusted with this team, what is their plan by signing all backups

662296[/snapback]

I could definitely see that happening. If he is going to own the Bills 1-2 more years, why pay out $$$ now. Let the next owner pay

And to prove all this, look how we've done nothing this off-season with lots of cap room

662296[/snapback]

Not sure I understand what you are saying.

Last time I checked Ralph opens his wallet pretty wide when it comes to players over the last decade and change.

Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman, Cornellius Benett, Then he paid well to keep Moulds around, Takeo Spikes, Milloy, Adams, Mike Williams (bust or not he was paid)

I hope we trade down. We're better off with more 1st day picks. This draft is deep with talent in a few need positions, and chances are someone will pay well to move up.

Not sure I understand what you are saying.

Last time I checked Ralph opens his wallet pretty wide when it comes to players over the last decade and change.

Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman, Cornellius Benett, Then he paid well to keep Moulds around, Takeo Spikes, Milloy, Adams, Mike Williams (bust or not he was paid)

662908[/snapback]

That was then, this is now

The Bills SHOULD trade out of the 8th pick...for football reasons.  There probably won't be any player there that will be worth the pick.

662918[/snapback]

I love the trade down if we can get added value. With a QB at 8, I think that has a good chance, and with us really liking not top 8 players like Justice and Bunkley, I see some scenarios where this can happen, but it takes two to dance, and we need a team that will give is a deal that will add value. But I'd start working the phones, and definitely make sure I answer even if it is 830pm and marv is already in bed watching Matlock reruns on TBS.

firstngoal, you have to first understand what Ralph is actually concerned about -- it's not rookie contracts.  Rookie contracts are "slotted" and manageable.  What makes the NFL "unfair" in Ralph's eyes are the huge signing bonuses the rich teams can pay to free agents, as well as the money they can spend to lure coaching talent.  The draft is really not an issue.

662322[/snapback]

I suspect that's the case with several clubs this year. Just speculation, but such may serve to cool the idea of tradedowns/ups this year, along with the foibles of the new CBA . Dunno.