JP article

J.P. Losman's New Outlook

by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Friday, Apr 14, 2006 11:36 AM

It's a different year and a much different situation for Bills quarterback J.P. Losman. Last year at this time he was preparing for his first minicamp shortly after being appointed the starting quarterback. This year it's a three-man competition for the starting job under center.

Losman stated a few times last year that he'd have preferred to compete for the starting job instead of having it handed to him. And though he's got his wish now, he still saw plenty of competition last summer.

"Being appointed the starter last year didn't mean I was going to play no matter what," said Losman. "There was a lot of competition going on last year. Kelly (Holcomb) was pushing me every day and vice versa. It just so happened that I started the year out and it went back and forth for a while. That's just the way it went."

At the end of what was a very trying and humbling season for Losman in 2005, he needed to get away from the game in which he buried himself mentally for the majority of the calendar year. He spent time with family, friends, former college teammates. He also spent time by himself to reflect on what he accomplished and what he failed to do in his first extended exposure to the NFL game.

"I just had a lot of time to think about what I want to do, where I want to go, how hard I want to compete," said Losman. "What kind of person I am."

Losman thought about all the mistakes he made last season and about a lot of the good things he did on the field as well. But in returning to his roots, the third-year signal caller was inspired.

"I got to see the kids at Tulane and the people down there that are rooting for me," he said. "I got to go home to my local high school, Venice high school and they're all rooting for me. I could see all this passion in these kids when I went home and I said, 'I've got to get back to work and get ready to go.' Coach called it a competition so let's get going."

The only difference with respect to the competition this year is the addition of a legitimate third candidate in Craig Nall. But Losman doesn't see Nall's presence on the roster as a message sender.

"You've got to bring somebody in whether it's a veteran or a rookie or a mid-range guy," said Losman. "There's going to be somebody."

Losman had a conversation with Bills Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly about having another quarterback constantly pushing you on the roster. Kelly talked to him about Frank Reich and how Reich's play in practice always kept him focused on taking care of business so he wasn't replaced.

"I've got to get on my game," said Losman. "That's just the way it is."

The former first round pick has stated that he's ready to take a step forward this season, though he feels he made progress last year.

"Mentally I think there were a lot of things I learned," said Losman. "There was a veteran quarterback whose name I won't mention, but he told me, 'J.P. you don't even know what you don't know yet.' During my down time I thought about those things and the conclusion I came to was I was so concerned about so many unnecessary things."

Losman believes the desire to be perfect with every minute detail related to the responsibilities of his position was taking away from his natural athletic ability and instincts as a quarterback. Instead of making him better the extra focus he put on being perfect in every tiny facet of his game became distracting.

His time away from football this offseason enabled him to clear his head and compile a new, more streamlined list of priorities to become the player he believes he can be.

"I've been able to cut things down and focus more on exactly what I want to get accomplished," said Losman. "It's helped me out so far."