"The 50 Best Jobs in America"

ajzepp

Seems like a lot of the jobs on the list are pretty balanced among the criteria they use, unless you have an oversaturated profession such as 'attorney', where the potential for a mid-six figure income can offset some of the areas where the profession doesn't score as high.

662866[/snapback]

BLS has the median for private attorney at $97K. The number they had was pretty high on this list in comparison--of course it was average rather than median, right?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BLS has the median for private attorney at $97K. The number they had was pretty high on this list in comparison--of course it was average rather than median, right?

662875[/snapback]

wow, to have a $40k discrepancy, something is going on.....there shouldn't be anywhere near that much difference between the avg and the median. One of the two has to be including some sort of cut-off at the bottom, maybe? There must have been some criterion that the 'Money' list included, whereas the BLS just includes all of them in the calculation....?

wow, to have a $40k discrepancy, something is going on.....there shouldn't be anywhere near that much difference between the avg and the median. One of the two has to be including some sort of cut-off at the bottom, maybe? There must have been some criterion that the 'Money' list included, whereas the BLS just includes all of them in the calculation....?

662881[/snapback]

Well, maybe the have different data. Starting associate salaries in NYC went up $20K/yr within the past year I think. Of course... they have to pay that in the misery of high billable hour requirements.

Well, maybe the have different data. Starting associate salaries in NYC went up $20K/yr within the past year I think. Of course... they have to pay that in the misery of high billable hour requirements.

662883[/snapback]

$20k in a year??? Holy crap.....Maybe I need to go to law school, lol.

$20k in a year??? Holy crap.....Maybe I need to go to law school, lol.

662884[/snapback]

Those people in NYC are working 60-70 hours a week with a lot of variation. I am in law school now and will not be going down that path. And, of course, these people have to pay to live in NYC.

Those people in NYC are working 60-70 hours a week with a lot of variation. I am in law school now and will not be going down that path. And, of course, these people have to pay to live in NYC.

662886[/snapback]

Oh okay, I forgot about the hours. I'll stick with my 36/week, lol.

I made #1.  But I disagree with that....my job is okay, but there has to be better ones out there.

661844[/snapback]

Same here. I'd have to disagree as well. I don't hate my job, but it's not necessarily something I love to go do every day. On top of that, job security isn't necessarily the best.

Dare we ask what you do the rest of the time?  :huh:

662963[/snapback]

No, probably not. It's top secret. :doh: Actually, I wear many hats (small company) but most of my day is spent doing accounting work. And yeah, I'll probably gets some jokes with this post but I don't care. :huh:

Dare we ask what you do the rest of the time?  :huh:

662963[/snapback]

(You can find her on the pole at the Pink Pony every Friday night)

Hey... Where is lock and dam operator on that list??... Sure beats some of those in the 50 and 60's... And the work is EASY... If you can chew gum and walk of course!!

Work smart, NOT hard...

:huh:  :huh:

663035[/snapback]

Couldn't find mine, either. I'd love to know what they consider the mean salary.

Couldn't find mine, either. I'd love to know what they consider the mean salary.

663038[/snapback]

I think if they told us yours, they'd have to kill us afterward.