F the Bills and F Ralph Wilson...

The_Real

That is a fair question. I am not an economist; the best I can do is offer a scenario.

If taking out a home equity loan for $50,000 and doing updates/repairs would make the above listed house worth another $100,000, would it be a good investment?

Ralph had the cap room to go after Hutchinson. Something tells me that the capital was also available, but he didn't want to spend it. Between Hutch, the 8th overall pick in the draft, and extra picks, I am thinking that the team would have improved and the value of the franchise would have instantly increased.

I am not sure what Ralph is thinking at this stage. Is anybody?

661560[/snapback]

Why would signing Hutchinson improve the value of the Bills? Will significantly more people attend the games? Will the NFL fork over more TV money? No. And any effect can not be expected to last beyond his contract.

Improving the value means improving the revenue stream.

Why would signing Hutchinson improve the value of the Bills? 

661596[/snapback]

Because pro-bowl blockers win football games. Winning teams sell tickets, playoff tickets, and licensed apparel.

The Bills have been drafting injured and/or inept "skill players" and gadget players with their top draft selections, and losing football games, right?

Considering that we are a proud, cold weather, blue collar franchise, do you think that it might be time to try something new and get back to basics?

Maybe it is just me. :doh:

Because pro-bowl blockers win football games. Winning teams sell tickets, playoff tickets, and licensed apparel.

The Bills have been drafting injured and/or inept "skill players" and gadget players with their top draft selections, and losing football games, right?

Considering that we are a proud, cold weather, blue collar franchise, do you think that it might be time to try something new and get back to basics?

Maybe it is just me.  :doh:

661602[/snapback]

But I think the question is whether or not the franchise can make money under the new CBA cap even assuming you sell out.

If we're playing to half-empty stadiums the issue is moot.

It's really obvious that too many people are simply impressed by the number.

$10,000,000.00 in profit isn't that much when you look at how much Ralph has to pony up every year for signing bonuses.  Money costs money, period. 

I don't hate Ralph Wilson for wanting to minimize his risk.  He has alot to lose.  More people should try that with their own money, instead of worrying so much about everyone else.

661572[/snapback]

One thing I don't know the answer to that I would like to know, is when does the networks actually pay cash to the NFL for their TV deal. That answer would go a long way to understand some economics of the teams.

For example, I assume they pay it in installments over the season. If the first installment is early in the year, then Ralph has no basis IMO to complain, because he is getting cash, tens of millions, before the season starts, before he has to start paying salaries, which would allow him to pay cash any bonuses he wishes. If the networks don't pay the NFL until the season starts, that would be a little different story. Not much different because that cash coming in from the networks is guaranteed and unless the team has zero in the bank, which is impossible, they could still afford to pay any bonuses they wish because even if you go hog crazy, the bonuses will not be more than 30-40 million and that money should already be in the bank from advance season ticket sales and TV money and just general cash on hand from previous years.

Frankly, I think the teams probably get a significant chunk of the TV money before September and that all of Ralph's complaining about inability to pay signing bonuses is hogwash. Because the cash is there and he won't have to pay salaries on the back end if the money is given up front.