Titans may be leaning toward drafting V.Young

syhuang

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../604130410/1027

--------------------------------------------------

Indications are the Titans, who have the No. 3 pick overall, are largely split

on the two players but are beginning to lean toward Young. The debate will

probably continue right up to April 29 when the draft begins.

On rotoworld.com:

Many believe that GM Floyd Reese and owner Bud Adams want Young.

Coach Jeff Fisher and coordinator Norm Chow may lean Matt Leinart,

but their votes don't count as much.

This should help our draft, it'll be hard for Jets to pass Leinart. teams may also trade up to

draft Leinart and one of the top rookies may fall to us.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../604130410/1027

Indications are the Titans, who have the No. 3 pick overall, are largely split

on the two players but are beginning to lean toward Young. The debate will

probably continue right up to April 29 when the draft begins.

On rotoworld.com:

Many believe that GM Floyd Reese and owner Bud Adams want Young.

Coach Jeff Fisher and coordinator Norm Chow may lean Matt Leinart,

but their votes don't count as much.

This should help our draft, it'll be hard for Jets to pass Leinart. teams may also trade up to

draft Leinart and one of the top rookies may fall to us.

661108[/snapback]

This is called smoke-blowing. There's no way the Titans don't take Leinart.....

JDG

This is called smoke-blowing.    There's no way the Titans don't take Leinart.....

JDG

661122[/snapback]

Maybe.

However, most reports predict Titans will draft Leinart based on two things: First, the history between N.Chow and Leinart, and second, Fisher and Chow realy like him. I didn't find many reports about what their owner and GM said.

Maybe.

However, most reports predict Titans will draft Leinart based on two things: First, the history between N.Chow and Leinart, and second, Fisher and Chow realy like him. I didn't find many reports about what their owner and GM said.

661134[/snapback]

That would be because there is only one owner and GM who completely tips their hand before the NFL Draft - the one with the first pick.

If the Titans didn't talk up Young, they'd be practically *begging* someone to trade with New Orleans for Leinart.

JDG

That would be because there is only one owner and GM who completely tips their hand before the NFL Draft - the one with the first pick.   

If the Titans didn't talk up Young, they'd be practically *begging* someone to trade with New Orleans for Leinart.

JDG

661156[/snapback]

You're right. But what I was trying to say was that the reports didn't conflict with the previous ones. Predict the draft pick based on what Fisher and Chow said may not be enough.

There're so many things going on before draft. Jets said they wouldn't trade up, who knows how true it is. Now Titans bring V.Young into the mix. It's so hard to predict the first 4 draft picks, not to mention the #8.

Two more weeks and we'll know the answers.

I see Leinart to the Titans, but he could still go #2 with a trade up, and Young #3. But I agree with the smokescreen stuff too. This draft could be very predictable or unpredictable, depending on how agressively some GMs try to outsmart their competitors and make daring moves. Some years it happens, and some it doesn't, but it usually isn't predicted.

I can't wait for draft day as a fan, because it will be exiting to see how it goes, then we can all get back to the reality that the draft doesn't have as big an immediate impact as we pretend, and very few rookies make big first year contributions, and in most drafts the top five picks don't end up being the top players.

1999:

Top 5: Couch, McNabb, Akili Smith, Edgerrin, Ricky Williams

Not top 5: Torry Holt, Champ Bailey, Culpepper, Kearse, Ekuban

2000:

Top 5: Courtney Brown, Arrington, Samuels, Warrick, Lewis

Not top 5: Burress, Urlacher, Abraham, Alexander, Pennington

2001:

Top 5: Vick, Leondard Davis, Gerard Warren, Justin Smith, LT

Not top 5: Seymour, Brees, McAllister, Chambers, Steve Smith

2002:

Top 5: Carr, Peppers, Harrington, Mike Williams, Jammer

Not top 5: Freeney, Shockey, Bentley, Roy Williams, Randle El

2003:

Top 5: Palmer, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Dewayne Roberston, Terence Newman

Not top 5: Leftwich, Polamalu, McGahee, Larry Johnson, Suggs

2004:

Top 5: Eli, Gallery, Fitzgerald, Rivers, Sean Taylor

Not top 5: Roethlisberger, Lee Evans, DeAngello Hall, Tatum Bell, Vilma

Not an exact science, but not once were the top five picks the top five players.

Excellent Post, Tasker.

We forget about the Taskers of the draft, don't we?

The fact that Peters was undrafted, that Brady was a 6th rounder, and that Nothing is Real the last month before draft day.

661516[/snapback]

Thanks. So now all we need is One Bills Drive to figure out how to make some great decisions and become the small market miracle of professional sports.

Who is this year's Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams? Who is this year's Kearse, Alexander, Seymour, Steve Smith, Rothlesberger, Larry Johnson?

Some of it clearly seems to be the luck of the draw, and if so I hope we are lucky, but some of it also is doing a better job evaluating and choosing, and that is where I hope the Bills can start to set themselves apart. I think Bunkley and Justice both have the upside potential to be looked at as the steals of this draft, but I'm not the one to outsmart the football world, so hopefully the Bills have some really smart ideas up their sleeves. I have more faith in Marv than Donahue, so I think we will be alright.