dr. z on vernon davis

My worry with Davis is his ability to catch, not block.  From what I have read and seen, he does not have above average hands, and a good catching tight end needs that.  Drafting him as a big WR is not the point, and his quickness probably matters a lot more than his 40 speed, but he's pretty amazing at both.  I think if he is good at catching the ball, he will be an outstanding football player, and will be able to use his quickness to get open short, and occasionally use mismatches to go deep, and probably be terriffic at run after the catch.

Worries about his hands (or blocking) aside, I would love him at #8, and would take him over Ngata, Huff, or Bunkley in a heartbeat.  I think he will alter what defenses have to do, and make Evans, Roscoe, and Willis all more dangerous, in addition to the damage he inflicts personally.  As a blocker, remember that because of his downfield ability, he won't often be lining up against run stuffers, so he can push the more mobile player who would be covering him out of the way.

Right now I have long given up on my Mario dreams (back when he wasn't a top 5 pick), and think Davis would do more to make us a better football team than anybode else.  Maybe trading down and getting Buckly or Justice plus another pick would be better, but I don't see a bigger impact available at #8.

661406[/snapback]

What would you rather have, a defense that gives your offense time to work or an offense that gives your defense time to rest?

We have one nose tackle and one three-technique tackle who started at that position full-time.

Even if the Bills don't take a DT in the first round, they'd be better off with an OL player as it won't matter how open Vernon Davis is when the QB is laying on his back or chasing after a fumble return.

A TE who is an actual pass receiving threat completely changes the way a team is defended.  I can virtually guarantee that guys like Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis, and Tiki Barber would agree with me.  It's also the reason Belichick has spent some serious first day draft jack on the position.

Having a TE that can hit homeruns guarantees that teams can't sell their linebackers out or leave their safety in the box to stop the running game.  That's especially true in the redzone, a place our team that has been without a receiving TE, has struggled for the better part of a decade.

You're a hell of alot more likely to have a great offense with a big time receiving threat lining up at TE than a one dimensional drive blocker.  If that wasn't the case, more teams would be lining up "tackle type" TEs - which pretty much no one is doing outside short yardage.

661622[/snapback]

Well stated.

There isn't anyone who would dispute the need for further OL help. Still, the draft does not begin and end with the 1st round and you never reach. I see several massive Guards and the Bills will have a shot at one of them in Round 2. Another G could come in Round 3, where we have 2 picks. The pressure came up the middle last season and Guard help is the most important OL need. But not in Round 1.

Davis is the one TE I most definetly would consider for the reasons stated above by the crazed mercenary. I have a feeling he may the target of a tradeup in front of us and may be gone no later than #6. But if he's still there at #8, we'd be foolish to pass on a rare freak who's ability would work like a domino effect towards the opposing Defense.

if you have a quality pass catching TE you are better off than a blocker.

the best thing a blocker can do is pin a guy off to one side, if a good pass catcher runs 10 yards deep the guy covering him will be out the picture anyhow.

also, if they cover the TE with a safety or CB, it is an easier block for the TE to make so he doesn't have to be a great blocker.

if they put an LB on him, the LB will get burned on passing plays.

it gives the O an advantage, and threat TEs are rare.

The line in my sig is better.

661714[/snapback]

While I respect Lott as a football player he made this comment after WATCHING Young play...he never played on the same field with him. I take former players' comments with a HUGE grain of salt, as I rarely find them to be intelligent or enlightening.

This is not a knock on Vince...I just don't put much stock in that quote.

The line in my sig is better.

661714[/snapback]

Too bad the quote doesn't translate to the NFL. There are plenty of uberdominant players at the college level who are major busts once they have to play on Sunday. Vince Young is far more likely to be added to that category than to end up in Canton without a ticket to the festivities.

It's nice that you like your alma mater and their current coverboy of choice, but the reality is he's nothing more than a very intriguing project whose weaknesses will be VERY glaring at the NFL level. I'll be shocked if he doesn't suffer a serious injury early in his career.