Beer aficionado's give me some beer to try...

To stray a bit, but I had no idea until watching a show the other day that bourbon actually starts off as beer. As much as I enjoy a good bourbon, too.

662227[/snapback]

Interesting Bib... I had to Wiki it... I take it is because of the malted barley???...

Bourbon is an American form of whiskey made from (pursuant to U.S. trade law) at least 51% corn, or maize, (typically about 70%) with the remainder being wheat, rye, and malted barley. It is distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof, and aged in new charred white oak barrels for at least two years — or perhaps longer. It must be put into the barrels at no more than 125 U.S. proof; in this way it is similar to Scotch Whisky, which is also aged in charred barrels. Most of the time it is then adjusted to 80–100 proof and bottled, although some are bottled at “cask strength”.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Bib... I had to Wiki it... I take it is because of the malted barley???...

Bourbon is an American form of whiskey made from (pursuant to U.S. trade law) at least 51% corn, or maize, (typically about 70%) with the remainder being wheat, rye, and malted barley. It is distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof, and aged in new charred white oak barrels for at least two years — or perhaps longer. It must be put into the barrels at no more than 125 U.S. proof; in this way it is similar to Scotch Whisky, which is also aged in charred barrels. Most of the time it is then adjusted to 80–100 proof and bottled, although some are bottled at “cask strength”.

663032[/snapback]

I don't know. I caught about 5 minutes on it while channel surfing. The host of the show was drinking the "beer" out of the vat because he didn't believe the guide either (It...tastes like beer!). The stuff looked like a dark amber with some foam but not a fizzy head. Sounds like Google time.

663032[/snapback]

Actually, all of the ingredients you listed can be found in different styles of beer. Wheat, rye, corn, maize, barley, rice, oats, etc. It depends on the style of beer as to which combination of these ingredients you use. My Poor Richard's Ale, for example, uses malted barley and flaked maize. "Beers" like Bud and Coors use corn and rice.

BiB is correct. Bourbon starts off like beer. You mash the grains and ferment the wort into a simple beer. You then distill it to get your bourbon.

If you like a different lighter beer, try Tecate. I had some in Mexico and brought a six pack home in my carry-on. :huh: The wife saw it in Myrtle Beach and brought me home another six.

Dos Equis Amber or Lager is also quite good.

Most of the time I keep Blue or Molson in the house to please the guests and usually try to keep a few odd beers around to please the adventurous.. :huh:

Try here:

beer list

You can sort by type, country, etc. There is also a search engine - kind of a nice reference.

If you like a different lighter beer, try Tecate. I had some in Mexico and brought a six pack home in my carry-on.  :huh:  The wife saw it in Myrtle Beach and brought me home another six.

Most of the time I keep Blue or Molson in the house to please the guests and usually try to keep a few odd beers around to please the adventurous..  :huh:

Try here:

beer list

You can sort by type, country, etc. There is also a search engine - kind of a nice reference.

663047[/snapback]

Someday, computers will know how to dispense samples.

If you like a different lighter beer, try Tecate. I had some in Mexico and brought a six pack home in my carry-on.  :angry:  The wife saw it in Myrtle Beach and brought me home another six.

Most of the time I keep Blue or Molson in the house to please the guests and usually try to keep a few odd beers around to please the adventurous..  :angry:

Try here:

beer list

663047[/snapback]

When it comes to Mexican beer, i never understood the appeal of Corona. Very litttle character, AKAIC. Doe Equis Amber isn't bad, though. My favorite Mexican beer is Negra Modelo.

Actually, all of the ingredients you listed can be found in different styles of beer. Wheat, rye, corn, maize, barley, rice, oats, etc. It depends on the style of beer as to which combination of these ingredients you use. My Poor Richard's Ale, for example, uses malted barley and flaked maize. "Beers" like Bud and Coors use corn and rice.

BiB is correct. Bourbon starts off like beer. You mash the grains and ferment the wort into a simple beer. You then distill it to get your bourbon.

663041[/snapback]

I never knew that about Coors Ken... I knew "Butt wiper" :angry::angry: (Bud) is made with more rice.

I think Rolling Rock is also rice?

When it comes to Mexican beer, i never understood the appeal of Corona.  Very litttle character, AKAIC.  Doe Equis Amber isn't bad, though.  My favorite Mexican beer is Negra Modelo.

663175[/snapback]

Go figure this one out... Went to Mexico with some extended family (to a wedding) and the father of the bride there served us Sol while he drank Miller Lite... They seemed more "Americanized" than the the Americans...

:angry::angry::doh:

I never knew that about Coors Ken...  I knew "Butt wiper" :angry:  :angry:  (Bud) is made with more rice.

I think Rolling Rock is also rice?

663423[/snapback]

IIRC, Miller is more corn and Bud is more rice. Not sure about which way Coors leans, but it is one of the two. Rolling Rock may have some rice and corn, but I am guessing more pale malts (barley), because of the color.