Beer aficionado's give me some beer to try...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one........................................

Guiness, From the tap

If not from the tap, cans are good too, you just have to know how to pour it.

Canadian beer is much better, but if your used to Blue Light, I'm not sure you could handle Canadian Beer, LOL j/k

As for Canadian, Moosehead, Alexander Keiths are good

When I was in Buffalo I was pointed in the Direction of a brewery run by two local guys: Phin and Matt. Most all of the beers I drank of their were good.

At the moment here in London I an on the Fullers Brewery Ales - if you can get them look out: London Pride probably the staple, but they to an IPA and a range of others.

When I was in Buffalo I was pointed in the Direction of a brewery run by two local guys: Phin and Matt. Most all of the beers I drank of their were good.

At the moment here in London I an on the Fullers Brewery Ales  - if you can get them look out: London Pride probably the staple, but they to an IPA and a range of others.

659982[/snapback]

We might have discussed before, but I was surprised at how many folks (especially younger) drink Bud in London.

Well if you are moving on from Blue Light you need to advance in baby steps. I'd try to start out with a true Pilsner.

Pilsner Urquell is the original and should be easy to find, but being in a green bottle it can be a problem. I'd also try to find Victory Prima Pils which is a great exaple of a classic Pilsner. Blue / Blue Light after all are just a dumbed down version of a true Pils. An English Mild would also be a good microbrew to start with. Southern Tier makes a good one.

We might have discussed before, but I was surprised at how many folks (especially younger) drink Bud in London.

659985[/snapback]

Yeah - I was in that boat too when I was younger. It's like the staple beer in bars to be honest. For people with no palate. I don't mind a cold bud on a Summers day - but I do prefer some others.

Lager-wise I have been sampling the influx of Polish lager flooding the shops in London. Zwiec is the most common. Otherwise, with lager in pubs/bars I'll go for Kronenberg 1664 (French), Staropramen (Czech), or Hofbrau (German). The middle ground is occupied by Leffe (Belgian). And beers I'm sampling anything the pub has on offer! You guys will like some of the names of beers I have had lately:

Waggle Dance

Badger

Fursty Ferret

Spitfire

Green King IPA

Old Speckled Hen

London Pride

Abbott Ale

Honey Dew (aka Bee Poo!)

ESB

Yeah - I was in that boat too when I was younger. It's like the staple beer in bars to be honest. For people with no palate.  I don't mind a cold bud on a Summers day - but I do prefer some others.

Lager-wise I have been sampling the influx of Polish lager flooding the shops in London.  Zwiec is the most common.  Otherwise, with lager in pubs/bars I'll go for Kronenberg 1664 (French), Staropramen (Czech), or Hofbrau (German).  The middle ground is occupied by Leffe (Belgian). And beers I'm sampling anything the pub has on offer! You guys will like some of the names of beers I have had lately:

Waggle Dance

Badger

Fursty Ferret

Spitfire

Green King IPA

Old Speckled Hen

London Pride

Abbott Ale

Honey Dew (aka Bee Poo!)

ESB

660001[/snapback]

When I lived in London I loved Caffery's Ale. Every once in a while I find it here in the states.

I currently only really drink Blue Light...I will try to sample all beers up here and report back with my thoughts...

659974[/snapback]

If you are a light beer drinker, then I would stay away from the IPA's and Double IPA's. Too much of a leap.

International:

-Chimay Grande Reserve (Trappist Ale)

-Hoeggarden (Belgian Wit)

-Rochefort 10 (Trappist Ale)

-Chimay Cinq Cents (Belgian Tripel)

Domestic:

-Most stuff from Victory brewing is good.

-I have heard favorable reviews about Southern Tier stuff, mainly their Unearthly (double IPA), but I think their other stuff is not bad. Personally, I have not tried any of it so I cannot personally review for you.

659982[/snapback]

Phin and Matt are Southern Tier Brewing. Another local brewery is Flying Bison. The owner is a good friend of mine. Try their Dawn Patrol Gold which is a German Kolsch beer, you can find it on draft at many taverns around WNY.

-I have heard favorable reviews about Southern Tier stuff, mainly their Unearthly (double IPA), but I think their other stuff is not bad. Personally, I have not tried any of it so I cannot personally review for you.

660009[/snapback]

I picked up the Unearthly when I was in town a few weeks ago. It's phenomenal and is my new favorite double IPA. I honestly think it is better than DFH 90. Another good double IPA is Hercules from Great Divide.

I picked up the Unearthly when I was in town a few weeks ago.  It's phenomenal and is my new favorite double IPA.  I honestly think it is better than DFH 90.  Another good double IPA is Hercules from Great Divide.

660031[/snapback]

I just scored a case of Hop Whallop. There was only one batch of this made back in November and they quickly ran out. Well, I got some inside info that they had a few cases left and I was able to snag one of them. Nice.

I need to get down to DFH one of these days. I want to try the 90 and 120 minute brews. My favorite is without doubt, Iron Hill's Kryptonite. 129 IBU's and 9% abv. In talking to the brewmaster, he said he uses "all the C's" for bittering, with Cascade and Amarillo to dry hop. Unbelievable!!! No question, my favorite IPA/DIPA.

Another good double IPA is Hercules from Great Divide.

660031[/snapback]

Had it for the first time this past weekend. I've tried and liked their other beers, but the Hercules is outstanding. Stoudt's out of PA also does an excellent Double IPA.

I'm a huge pale ale/IPA fan. Gotta have my hops. I recommed Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for someone looking to try, or get into pales. Great beer, very consistent quality and readily available. Another label to look for is Deschutes (Bend, OR) if they are distributed in your area. All their "hoppy" beers are outstanding...Mirror Pond Pale, Hop Henge IPA, Inversion IPA & Hop Trip. Mirror Pond will be the easiest to find. For someone wanting to dive in the hop deep end, I recommend Three Floyds Alpha King or Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 (from Clipper City Brewery, Baltimore, MD). Tater, they make an excellent pilsner called Small Craft Warning.

For those of you with access to Wegman's, they were carrying Magic Hat (Burlington, VT) brews last time I was home. #9 is their staple, but all their beers are excellent.

Premier Gourmet on Delaware has a great selection in Buffalo. I want to be entombed in Beers of the World in Roch. For the Atlanta crowd, Greens on Ponce or Buford Hwy has a great selection. Also, a huge place just opened down 85 SW of the City...heading to PTC. Georgia World of Beverages. I'll check it out sometime in the next couple days and report back.

I currently only really drink Blue Light...I will try to sample all beers up here and report back with my thoughts...

659974[/snapback]

Well, let's keep things Canadian and say, basically any beer by this brewery:

http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm

These three are usually pretty easy to find, in my experience:

Maudite http://www.unibroue.com/products/maudite.cfm

Trois Pistoles http://www.unibroue.com/products/3pistoles.cfm

and Fin du Monde http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

I like Fin du Monde, but recommend you start with Maudite.