NFL bans local tv from filming games

Good idea? Bad? Greed?

"NFL rule gets TV static

Area video crews booted off sideline

BY JOHN ERARDI | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER 04/12/06

Just when the Bengals finally got good, area TV stations' ability to produce localized highlight reels is being curtailed.

A unanimous vote from the NFL owners at a meeting last month banning local television from shooting game action has triggered an outcry from area stations.

These stations had been producing Sunday night shows and specials from video of game action shot by their own cameramen.

Not anymore.

Under the new rule, affiliates won't be able to shoot game-action video. Their only game-action video will be highlights provided by the network that airs the game, NFL Films or the team's in-house film crew..."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/604120334

I've noticed often on national highlight shows, they show angles of plays that were never shown on the initial feed.

I'm guessing that many of those may have come from this local coverage.

From a fans perspective, I think this is a bad move as it will detract from our overall enjoyment. From a business perspective, presumably, the NFL &/or the networks owning the broadcast rights will be able to rcv more royalties, but somehow I don't that will be reflected in the product we rcv (like being able to get every game in HD :D ).

Good idea? Bad? Greed?

"NFL rule gets TV static

Under the new rule, affiliates won't be able to shoot game-action video. Their only game-action video will be highlights provided by the network that airs the game, NFL Films or the team's in-house film crew..."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/604120334

659880[/snapback]

There you go Ralph, produce a video of each game and sell it to the local stations. We're in the money.....