Is it legal for a landlord to search an apartment

Ramius

i understand that they have a right to inspect or come inside with notice. They give notice before maitenence, and before pest control. But what i dont like is the whole "random inspection" sometime this week.

I mean in the end it doesnt matter in a whole lot, prolly moving to another place when the lease is up in august, i just dont like their idea to inspect and come in my apartment for no good reason.

659226[/snapback]

Tenants have more legal protection than landlords. As a result, if you find that this treatment is unfair, take it to the rental board.

What stops a criminal from posing as agent of the landlord... Isn't there safety issues here?

Make sure you find out who is actually authorized to do the inspection.

Kinda like the old days with the water meter being in the house... You can't be too safe (for you and your property).

Not sure if this was covered... I expect you are to be in the apartment at the time the inspection occurs?

What is the thing going on here, fighting with a landlord? What does the Humane Socity have anything to do with this?  :D

The bottom line is, it is not one's own property. Landlords like to collect rent.  They like to work against things that reduce the value of their property, and most want to do what they can to insure that tenants aren't put at risk by nasty folks.  If your digs are maintained, no rain on your head etc., what is the big deal?

Why are folks taking this as some personal affront? If you don't like it, there is no anchor on your a**. Move.

This is so childish... :P

659273[/snapback]

Agree.

These flyers could have been laying around anywhere for anyone to see... Of course the tenants would know... But, they should have been mailed!

I see it more of a safety issue... Especially in a large complex... Who knows what perp out there woul exploit this...

Tenants have more legal protection than landlords.  As a result, if you find that this treatment is unfair, take it to the rental board.

659281[/snapback]

This isn't Canada... It is Florida.

If there is a board... Billy Bob Crumb and his brother-in-law Buford T. Pusser probably maintain a quorum with Stevie Ray Good and Jesse B. Bad.

:D:o:P:):P

Nothing much to add here, but just to rehash, it seems like the landlord is doing nothing wrong here. The only thing i have question is with the fines and/or removal of the pet. Other than that, he gave his notice, just try to be at the apartment. Do what i did hwen i rented... Set up a webcam that has motion detection software.

On a side note, here's my rental story:

Last june we moved out, so as per the lease, we cleaned the apartment top to bottom or face the cleaning fee, which was deducted from the security depost. We paid $300 for our security deposit when we moved in. So, the apartment was spotless, top to bottom. Fridge was cleaned, you could eat off of the floors and drink from the toilet when i was done with that place. Last thing i did was turn off the breakers and shut off the water. Well, about a week later, i received a check for $325 and an invoice for our $400 security deposit and a $75 cleaning fee. I immediately put the check into the bank. Since the check was coming from the same bank that i used, it cleared next day so i called to inquire. Got no response back as to the charge or the mistake with the security deposit. I made $25 on the deal but i was still angry. Funny how stuff like that gets to people.

Someone more able will tune in, but I think a standard lease allows inspections with notice.  You've been given notice, better return the gerbil to Puhonix.

659116[/snapback]

Hmmmm...now WHERE can he hide that gerbil so the landlord can't find it? Any suggestions? :D:P

This isn't Canada... It is Florida.

If there is a board... Billy Bob Crumb and his brother-in-law Buford T. Pusser probably maintain a quorum with Stevie Ray Good and Jesse B. Bad.

:D  :o  :P  :)  :P

659706[/snapback]

ah here there is a rental board and the rights of the tenant exceed the rights of the landlord.

For example, the only way i could raise the rent on one of my apartments is if the tenant that lives there leaves and a new one comes in. Or else i'm stuck charging the person the same rent as when we signed the original lease, with the right to add small percentages to the rent as a result of renovations.

If my tenant did not pay their bill, I have to issue them 2 warnings and only after 3-4 months of warnings, can we evict them, and even then... it becomes very difficult.