Pinehurst Area Golf Trip

After several years of golfing at Myrtle Beach, my group (actually me) has decided it is time for a change. So - here are the details:

3 nights (staying at Pine Valley Condos on Pinehurst #3)

3 rounds (Hyland Hills, Foxfire East, Foxfire West)

As I am the group leader and basically made this decision for 20 guys, I'm a bit worried if the courses/accomodations are of the quality my guys are used to. If anyone has any feedback about either of the courses or particularly the accomodations, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks!

I've played one of the foxfire courses. Don't remember which one, but really liked it. Quite good.

I'm a golf course snob, too. I hate poorly maintaned courses, crappy sand, and slow greens.

After several years of golfing at Myrtle Beach, my group (actually me) has decided it is time for a change.  So - here are the details:

As I am the group leader and basically made this decision for 20 guys, I'm a bit worried if the courses/accomodations are of the quality my guys are used to.  If anyone has any feedback about either of the courses or particularly the accomodations, I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks!

658878[/snapback]

After several years of golfing at Myrtle Beach, my group (actually me) has decided it is time for a change.  So - here are the details:

As I am the group leader and basically made this decision for 20 guys, I'm a bit worried if the courses/accomodations are of the quality my guys are used to.  If anyone has any feedback about either of the courses or particularly the accomodations, I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks!

658878[/snapback]

So you're going to Pinehurst, staying on Pinehurst property and you're not playing #2? WTF?

So you're going to Pinehurst, staying on Pinehurst property and you're not playing #2?  WTF?

658946[/snapback]

One round at #2 costs more than my entire package. Seriously, a guy going on the trip was going to go down a day early and play. $425 - that is a bit out our range.

As for Savannah/Hilton Head, it is a bit far as some family comes down from the Rochester area and honestly is probably a bit out of our price range. The entire package that I mentioned above was $285 and that includes 3 breakfasts. I try to keep things under 3 bills.

Thanks for the input so far.

One round at #2 costs more than my entire package.  Seriously, a guy going on the trip was going to go down a day early and play.  $425 - that is a bit out our range.

As for Savannah/Hilton Head, it is a bit far as some family comes down from the Rochester area and honestly is probably a bit out of our price range.  The entire package that I mentioned above was $285 and that includes 3 breakfasts.  I try to keep things under 3 bills. 

Thanks for the input so far.

658956[/snapback]

I understand, but, that is something you have to do once. Also, if you check out there direct site, they run specials where you can do a stay and play for a night on #2 for less then 300.

I was planning on going down this year but the person I go with and myself schedules did match up. I'll probably go next year, and yes I will play #2 at least once. :P

658878[/snapback]

Richmond, first thing you will like is the shorter drive!!!! We have gone to Pinehurst for 8 years str8, last year went to Myrtle and decided to go back to the Sand Hills this year.

I play those courses regularly on our annual trip to the Pinehurst area. Hyland Hills looks funky, got like an old holiday inn looking sign up front, but very nice course. I haven't played there in about three years, but if i remeber correctly, short, but very tight.

Two years ago, Foxfire was in excellant condition, but dam those greens had to be running 12 to 13, quick as all get out. Nice clubhouse too if your playing on the same day, dam good burgers.

If you have an extra day or want to get in an extra round, go to Little River, my favouite down there. No clubhouse to speak of, but the course will make you hit every shot in your bag.

Finally, the Gold Club!!!!!!! Little ways from Pinehurst proper, on route 1 where all the motels and fast food joints are, but dam do they know how to treat golfers. Not quite up to the talent in Myrtle, but well worth the time.Although, please do not be like me and have the boobie bar cost more than your whole trip.

BTW, if your discreet, those places should not give ya any grief bringing your own beer.

Cant help on the accomdations, we usually go cheap as we play 90 holoes in three days, so not in the room much

All three are good local courses.  When I lived in Raleigh, I prefered to play Talamore, Tobacco Road, CC of Wispering Pines, and Legacy (all off-season).

658958[/snapback]

I've played talamore and ejoyed it greatly.

Also, another place to consider is Williamsburg.  You have Golden Horseshoe, Kingsmill, TPC VA Beach, and plenty of others.

Being from Richmond, you probably know that, but others may not.

658983[/snapback]

The Shoe is awesome, but all those courses be a might pricey. Anybody going to Williamsburg area i would suggest either Royal New Kent or Stonehouse, or even Kisskiack. When the first two opened, priced bout $125 a round. Couldn't cut it this area, now under new ownership, and bout $60 now.

As an aside, Kings mill running this add for unlimited golf for every day's stay at the resort. Only problem is rates start at $299 per day PER GOLFER. Are you chitting me

All three are good local courses.  When I lived in Raleigh, I prefered to play Talamore, Tobacco Road, CC of Wispering Pines, and Legacy (all off-season).

658958[/snapback]

We had a bit of a challenge with course availability due to aeration schedules. The week we are going is the first week of the "off season" and several courses were going to punch the greens that week. Also, I wanted to choose some courses that were playable for all skill levels, ages, etc. My dad and F-I-L go and they are bit older. We also have some guys that are not really "golfers" that go. I heard that Tobacco Road, The Pit, etc were a bit difficult. I may play an afternoon round at one of those places though.

For your Richmond area guys, I was just invited to play the Dominion Club on thursday. I've played there a few times and it is nice. If you ever get the invite, don't turn it down.

We had a bit of a challenge with course availability due to aeration schedules.  The week we are going is the first week of the "off season" and several courses were going to punch the greens that week.  Also, I wanted to choose some courses that were playable for all skill levels, ages, etc.  My dad and F-I-L go and they are bit older.  We also have some guys that are not really "golfers" that go.  I heard that Tobacco Road, The Pit, etc were a bit difficult.  I may play an afternoon round at one of those places though. 

For your Richmond area guys, I was just invited to play the Dominion Club on thursday.  I've played there a few times and it is nice.  If you ever get the invite, don't turn it down.

659052[/snapback]

Richmond, Im tell ing ya, Little River!!!!!!

Have a great time

The Shoe is awesome, but all those courses be a might pricey. Anybody going to Williamsburg area i would suggest either Royal New Kent or Stonehouse, or even Kisskiack. When the first two opened, priced bout $125 a round. Couldn't cut it this area, now under new ownership, and bout $60 now.

As an aside, Kings mill running this add for unlimited golf for every day's  stay at the resort. Only problem is rates start at $299 per day PER GOLFER. Are you chitting me

659031[/snapback]

You can play with some of the packages for about a 50 premium at Kingsmill. I haven't played the River Course but I will this year.

You can play with some of the packages for about a 50 premium at Kingsmill.  I haven't played the River Course but I will this year.

659186[/snapback]

What have you got against Savannah-Hilton Head? I'm not a golfer, but I both lived there and know a lot of people who get packages to go down there and play. They speak very highly. From March to September-October, Delta Connections has a non-stop into SAV from DCA. Only regular non-stop flight into SAV I'm aware of. Honestly, I wouldn't know either way, but I know there a lot of courses that people come back for. That area has become a cornucopia of good courses, from what I've heard. I have some friends that have retired to Pinehurst, too. Sold the house, bought a golfy condo. Nothing against Pinehurst, but they travel to Savannah-HH twice a year. To Golf.

You can play with some of the packages for about a 50 premium at Kingsmill.  I haven't played the River Course but I will this year.

659186[/snapback]

you'll love it VA. If your going to that area, and want another course to play for a little cheaper try Deer Run. Its the Newport News muni course. Haven't play in quite a while, but at least 5 yrs ago was like $32 bucks to play, and I would put it up there with most $100 tracks. If you do play, make sure you play the championship course, the other one kinda poopy

We had a bit of a challenge with course availability due to aeration schedules.  The week we are going is the first week of the "off season" and several courses were going to punch the greens that week.  Also, I wanted to choose some courses that were playable for all skill levels, ages, etc.  My dad and F-I-L go and they are bit older.  We also have some guys that are not really "golfers" that go.  I heard that Tobacco Road, The Pit, etc were a bit difficult.  I may play an afternoon round at one of those places though. 

I'm assuming that you have transportation, but Keith Hills GC in Buies Creek is by far one of the best bargins in NC.

What have you got against Savannah-Hilton Head? I'm not a golfer, but I both lived there and know a lot of people who get packages to go down there and play. They speak very highly. From March to September-October, Delta Connections has a non-stop into SAV from DCA. Only regular non-stop flight into SAV I'm aware of. Honestly, I wouldn't know either way, but I know there a lot of courses that people come back for. That area has become a cornucopia of good courses, from what I've heard. I have some friends that have retired to Pinehurst, too. Sold the house, bought a golfy condo. Nothing against Pinehurst, but they travel to Savannah-HH twice a year. To Golf.

659198[/snapback]

The problem with Hilton Head and golfing is 2 fold. First off later in the year (after June) you can't really plan as you have issues with all the hurricane watches. So if you go it has to be early part of the season. Which makes it a longer drive and not really doable on a weekend like Williamsburg or Pinehurst.

The second problem is the majority of the area is or at least was control by one group. Which really limited any pricing control, as there was a monopoly in the area. therefore staying there was expensive, although nice, and playing there was equally expensive. A 3 day excursion would run well above 800 per person. I can get the same stuff with as good or better courses in Pinehurst and Williamsburg for under 400.

Just not worth it for the extra drive and extra cost.

• 1 month later...

I'm back. We had a great time. Hyland Hills was ok - a bit old, but in good shape. Foxfire was gorgeous, but I thought the staff were a bunch of arrogant dicks. The condos were a disaster - we pull up right in the Pinehurst complex - check out the first room - dead roach on the floor. Go to the second room - live roach on the floor. Luckily we never saw a roach in our room, but we were leary all weekend.

For next year, we are going to explore Williamsburg, VA Beach and Nags Head. I also heard Ocean City, MD is nice.