Is Tampa thinking of moving up

TAMPA - Winston Justice arrived in Tampa on Monday night after a cross-country flight from Los Angeles. Now the Bucs will have to travel a considerable distance in the draft to select the Southern Cal offensive tackle.

After a spectacular workout at USC's pro day last week, Justice is a possible top-10 pick, but the Bucs pick 23rd.

Justice will begin a visit with the coaching staff this morning, but he will need no introduction.

"It feels almost like we're a total family here," Justice said.

No wonder. Trojans offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin is the son of Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. And Tampa Bay hired two USC assistants during the offseason, defensive line coach Jethro Franklin and defensive backs coach Greg Burns.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/04/11/Bucs/Buc...ne_linema.shtml

The bucs would have to move up to at least the top 12 I do not see them trading with us. There is also to many teams with needs at the top that Tampa has to make it worth there while. Minn. needs a QB and so does ARI. anyone after them I think Justice falls, if not earlier. GO BILLS!

The bucs would have to move up to at least the top 12 I do not see them trading with us. There is also to many teams with needs at the top that Tampa has to make it worth there while. Minn. needs a QB and so does ARI. anyone after them I think Justice falls, if not earlier. GO BILLS!

658747[/snapback]

Maybe so. Never say never, look who we signed yesterday.

I would like to trade with Den. if possible. Lets take their 2 #1s that would be sick.

658777[/snapback]

I really doubt Denver would trade both #1's for the #8 spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it (and if I was Marv I would be putting in a call every day to Denver til the draft trying to get them to make the trade.

Maybe Buffalo could trade their #8 to a team a couple spots away who wants a QB for their first and maybe a second or third, and then trade that first to Tampa for their 1st and a second or third. Getting us a couple extra first day picks by trading 2 spots in the first.

I really doubt Denver would trade both #1's for the #8 spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it (and if I was Marv I would be putting in a call every day to Denver til the draft trying to get them to make the trade.

Maybe Buffalo could trade their #8 to a team a couple spots away who wants a QB for their first and maybe a second or third, and then trade that first to Tampa for their 1st and a second or third. Getting us a couple extra first day picks by trading 2 spots in the first.

658806[/snapback]

I'd rather stay where we are and take Justice and forget about the LT position for the next 10 years.

All good options, either way I hope we can get what we need. Dont get me wrong I like Justice I just dont know at the #8 spot though. Id like a trade or an effort to go after Davis or Hawk. We need some game changers on this team and TKO is worrying me, that is a tough injury to comeback from.

Too bad he's never played LT.

but - hey- he could be switched over just like Mike Williams was :P

658885[/snapback]

He was a RT for a left handed QB who was not known for his mobility. Plus, there is absolutely no comparison between him and Mike Williams expect they played the same position in college. Justice has a 40 inch vertical and is an all-around good athlete. He definitely has the footwork and quickness to handle speed rushers. It might take all of training camp and could be bumpy his first year, but I see not reason why he couldn't be a good LT in this league. I was definitely under the thinking that #8 was high to go for Justice, especially given some of the off-field problems. But it just could be immaturity. Justice and Peters as bookend tackles sounds pretty good to me.

Just because at the combine or workouts, he impresses, doesn't mean he will be great. or because he was a RT protecting the blindside of a Left handed QB, switching him to LT would work. What you are basically doing is making a 1st round pick into a project player.

Mike Williams was rated the best o-linemen available in the draft so TD took him at #4. Guess what, scouts were wrong, he didn't fit the Bills system, and now we wasted a bunch of good years and cap space on a guy that didn't work out.

If a player can be had later in the draft, and a trade can be made to move to a spot where they will be available, you trade down. Top 10 picks are not the spot in the draft to be reaching for a player cause the money given to the player is too much for it to be a reach

Just because at the combine or workouts, he impresses, doesn't mean he will be great. or because he was a RT protecting the blindside of a Left handed QB, switching him to LT would work. What you are basically doing is making a 1st round pick into a project player.

Mike Williams was rated the best o-linemen available in the draft so TD took him at #4. Guess what, scouts were wrong, he didn't fit the Bills system, and now we wasted a bunch of good years and cap space on a guy that didn't work out.

If a player can be had later in the draft, and a trade can be made to move to a spot where they will be available, you trade down. Top 10 picks are not the spot in the draft to be reaching for a player cause the money given to the player is too much for it to be a reach

658951[/snapback]

I agree with the majority of your post. However, if you decided that a player is the right fit for your team, you take him. There's a big risk in trading down because that player may not be there. Justice is getting a lot of interest from the Eagles and Bucs. And he's not just a work out wonder. He was awesome last year. If he stayed USC and remained healthy, he would be a top 5 pick next year easily. I just like the idea of two athletic tackles like Peters and Justice who could be here for 10 years (or until the Bills move :P ).

658951[/snapback]

The only part of our system that Mike Williams didn't fit was the rule in there that says that players are not supposed to suck.

RTs don't go in the top 5. It never happens. And, if you are going to try to break this pattern, it would be wise to go with a player who is not a fat, lazy, injured slob.....no matter how high he is "rated."

The only part of our system that Mike Williams didn't fit was the rule in there that says that players are not supposed to suck.

RTs don't go in the top 5. It never happens. And, if you are going to try to break this pattern, it would be wise to go with a player who is not a fat, lazy, injured slob.....no matter how high he is "rated."

658985[/snapback]

It did happen.

Mike Williams was always a RT. The Bills drafted him to play RT. Every single time they spoke about him they said we're going to line him up at RT. He played RT in all practices and all scrimmages and camps and games. No one on the Bills in any capacity to my knowledge ever said they were going to move him to LT. I don't think they ever had any intention of him playing LT. And LT isn't really as big a difference from RT these days as there is just as much talent across the line at LDE as there is RDE. Furthermore, half of your plays are running plays, and most teams like to run to the right. They envisioned MW to be a mauler in the run game at RT. It was ONLY speculation by fans and reporters and people with zero clue that he was projected to move to LT or would eventually move to LT. Donohoe always said RT, the OL coaches always said RT, the head coaches and coordinators always said RT.

It did happen.

Mike Williams was always a RT. The Bills drafted him to play RT. Every single time they spoke about him they said we're going to line him up at RT. He played RT in all practices and all scrimmages and camps and games. No one on the Bills in any capacity to my knowledge ever said they were going to move him to LT. I don't think they ever had any intention of him playing LT. And LT isn't really as big a difference from RT these days as there is just as much talent across the line at LDE as there is RDE. Furthermore, half of your plays are running plays, and most teams like to run to the right. They envisioned MW to be a mauler in the run game at RT. It was ONLY speculation by fans and reporters and people with zero clue that he was projected to move to LT or would eventually move to LT. Donohoe always said RT, the OL coaches always said RT, the head coaches and coordinators always said RT.

659002[/snapback]

just to throw a slight monkeywrench into this, wasn't leon searcy really early in 1992 (#11 overall) as a right tackle by donohoe? he turned out OK (he was great, actually). granted, he wasn't #4, but still, 11 is pretty high.

just to throw a slight monkeywrench into this, wasn't leon searcy really early in 1992 (#11 overall) as a right tackle by donohoe? he turned out OK (he was great, actually). granted, he wasn't #4, but still, 11 is pretty high.

659010[/snapback]

This was the point of my post that seems to have been lost to KTFBD. Perhaps it was the way I explained it.

I don't dispute that Fatso was chosen as a RT. I was pointing out to the idiocy of doing so, ratings notwithstanding.

And btw, you are correct. On draft day, #11 is miles away from #4.