Maybe it's time to reverse the Merger

I don't think there will ever be a viable second football league. It's a shame too because I'd love to see a league with teams in cities like a

Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA

Portland, OR

Raleigh-Durham, NC

Salt Lake City, UT

Memphis, TN

Las Vegas, NV

Mexico City

etc.

I just think there's a ton of cities out there that will never get NFL teams that probably could support a football team, but just not an NFL team. Maybe if enough cities get screwed with this new CBA then things will change. Probably not. It looks like things are setting up for a "perfect storm" situation in Buffalo.

Vegas may have the ability to support a NFL franchise, but it won't get one because of the gambling that is permitted in the city. They have tried to bring in a bunch of sports teams in the past, and that was one of the major reasons it never worked

656935[/snapback]

I included Vegas on the list only because I doubt any second football leauge would be a big gambling draw. But like you said a second football league has been tried and tried again. I don't see it happening, but wish it could work somehow.

I included Vegas on the list only because I doubt any second football leauge would be a big gambling draw.  But like you said a second football league has been tried and tried again.  I don't see it happening, but wish it could work somehow.

656946[/snapback]

A second league might not care about the gambling connection, but don't think it wouldn't be a big gambling draw. Sports books take action on WNBA, minor league cricket, and probably freaking ice fishing.

That said: (1) The Bills will be just fine, and (2) no second league will be viable, as you stated.

Discuss.

656900[/snapback]

It's not time to break up the league. The Bills need to increase their unshared revenue. That's all about marketing. The Bills may not be working with the population base that large markets are, but they are the only big time sports team in the area and IMO, they haven't even come close to selling that fact.

There are an incredible amount of potential ticket buyers in the area who've never been to the Ralph don't realize what a blast it is to come to a Bills game because they don't see why it wouldn't be just as good to watch the game on TV. That's because the marketing plan has basically been "come watch the Bills". More emphasis needs to be made on the sizzle, because the truth is winning only provides a temporary spike in interest. Donahoe's Bills appeared to realize this, and that's why they could sell season tickets with a lousy team whereas Butler couldn't with a winner. Make it sizzle, make all things Bills a must have. They have a captive audience, they don't even have to be that clever, they just have to be aggressive.

At that point, there are many ways to increase unshared revenue, but one that could be huge would be to setup a retail marketing plan of products of ALL TYPES with the Bills logo on them for which a portion of the proceeds would actually go back to a fund to support western NY pro football.

Not just an endorsement deal. The proceeds would go to the Bills, but be kept separate from other profits and to be used only for certain tangible purposes, like signing bonus money for instance. Things the fans can really wrap their arms around and let them know they are making a difference.

That money would not be able to be taken out of town if a new owner wants to move the team. The Bills might even be able to get NYS to keep their tax hand in their pocket with regard to it. In time, that "fund" could swell into a staggering amount of bucks and serve as reason #1 for ownership to keep the team right where it is, and perhaps serve as a building block for a new stadium when the time comes. It's not money taken from taxpayers and it's not an imposed tax. It's money that will come voluntarily from people who are actively trying to support the Bills and hopefully, winning football.

That reverse merger definitely wouldn't work, and for the same reasons that other leagues (like the XFL) will never work: not enough talent. Let's face it, if the league split up into big-market and small market teams, the best players will go where the money is: the big markets. What you would end up w/ in the smaller markets is a less-talented product. It won't be as bad as, say, NFL Europe or the XFL, but it would clearly be inferior.

And where do you think the networks would go? And the sponsors? And don't forget that the NFL could fill the void left by the smaller market teams w/ larger market cities like San Antonio or Los Angeles. Even cities like Las Vegas or Portland are possibilities.

In the long run, the new league would end up being nothing more than another farm system for the NFL--a more talented NFL Europe--with the best players every year running off for the riches of the NFL. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's an effective solution.

Just my two cents.

There are an incredible amount of potential ticket buyers in the area who've never been to the Ralph don't realize what a blast it is to come to a Bills game because they don't see why it wouldn't be just as good to watch the game on TV.

656955[/snapback]

There are also many people who are well aware of the drunkedness, fighting, continual obscenities, general rudeness, etc. that are part of the "fan" experience, and wouldn't attend even it was for free. <_<

There are also many people who are well aware of the drunkedness, fighting, continual obscenities, general rudeness, etc. that are part of the "fan" experience, and wouldn't attend even it was for free.  :lol:

657000[/snapback]

And those people would be complaining at a shuffleboard tournament if the cocoa was too warm.

For 12 years consecutive years at RWS I have been experienced camaradrie, friendship, generousity, great conversation, great humor, friendship, excitement, good food, and some top shelf people.

You need to get over to Lot 1/Pole 5 s.i.c.; you really do. <_<

It's not time to break up the league.  The Bills need to increase their unshared revenue.  That's all about marketing.  The Bills may not be working with the population base that large markets are, but they are the only big time sports team in the area and IMO, they haven't even come close to selling that fact.

There are an incredible amount of potential ticket buyers in the area who've never been to the Ralph don't realize what a blast it is to come to a Bills game because they don't see why it wouldn't be just as good to watch the game on TV.   That's because the marketing plan has basically been "come watch the Bills".  More emphasis needs to be made on the sizzle, because the truth is winning only provides a temporary spike in interest.  Donahoe's Bills appeared to realize this, and that's why they could sell season tickets with a lousy team whereas Butler couldn't with a winner.  Make it sizzle, make all things Bills a must have.  They have a captive audience, they don't even have to be that clever, they just have to be aggressive.

At that point, there are many ways to increase unshared revenue, but one that could be huge would be to setup a retail marketing plan of products of ALL TYPES with the Bills logo on them for which a portion of the proceeds would actually go back to a fund to support western NY pro football.

Not just an endorsement deal.  The proceeds would go to the Bills, but be kept separate from other profits and to be used only for certain tangible purposes, like signing bonus money for instance.  Things the fans can really wrap their arms around and let them know they are making a difference.

That money would not be able to be taken out of town if a new owner wants to move the team.  The Bills might even be able to get NYS to keep their tax hand in their pocket with regard to it.    In time, that "fund" could swell into a staggering amount of bucks and serve as reason #1 for ownership to keep the team right where it is, and perhaps serve as a building block for a new stadium when the time comes.  It's not money taken from taxpayers and it's not an imposed tax.  It's money that will come voluntarily from people who are actively trying to support the Bills and hopefully, winning football.

656955[/snapback]

Why do the Bills sell so many good seats to brokers?

If I am going to pay approx. 2x face value for the tickets (whch we had to do for the last 3 or 4 years), isn't there a way for Ralph to get the extra cash instead of stubhub.com?

Why do the Bills sell so many good seats to brokers?

If I am going to pay approx. 2x face value for the tickets (whch we had to do for the last 3 or 4 years), isn't there a way for Ralph to get the extra cash instead of stubhub.com?

657014[/snapback]

Do they actually sell directly to brokers or do the brokers just buy up large quantities? If a broker buys a set of season tickets, they can buy their allotment of tickets before they go on sale to the general public.

Do they actually sell directly to brokers or do the brokers just buy up large quantities? If a broker buys a set of season tickets, they can buy their allotment of tickets before they go on sale to the general public.

657015[/snapback]

Good point. G Host is the expert on this.

I'm just trying to come up with ideas. This stuff is pretty friggin annoying. <_<

And those people would be complaining at a shuffleboard tournament if the cocoa was too warm.

For 12 years consecutive years at RWS I have been experienced camaradrie, friendship, generousity, great conversation, great humor, friendship, excitement, good food, and some top shelf people.

You need to get over to Lot 1/Pole 5 s.i.c.; you really do.  <_<

657012[/snapback]

Twelve years we have been there every week and never one fight at our tailgate. And that goes for most others as well. Yes, every week there will be a few altercations but it's usually between college aged men, or as a result of people getting annoyed by the behavior of these guys. Everyone is young once and if people would remember what it was like that would certainly help matters.

In fact, one of the nice things about the whole experience is the exposure to Bills fans of all ages. It's like a big family gathering in a time where family gatherings aren't that common anymore. Granted, it's not an ideal environment for kids, but how many kids want to spend 8 hours in a parking lot or a seat watching a game anyway? I love the Bills, but even I didn't care for the tailgating as a kid. It's for the most part, an adult enviroment. But even so, it's not the worst exposure for kids to see adults having fun, even if it means exposing them to what the adults are doing(cursing, drinking, whatever). Trust me, a day in the lot is less corrosive than one week in school.

657015[/snapback]

Bingo.

What Lori said. The brokers usually own season tickets and make group purchases when allowed, like all other season ticket holders, or they know people that have seasons that will put in a large purchase for them.

And one problem with a split league, is when would they play? In the fall you usually have college games on Saturday and NFL on Sunday. There's the winter/spring, but you already have AFL/AFL2/AIFL. The XFL tried and failed. Summer? Summer is not a football type of weather, it's sitting at the ballpark, having a beer and a dog.

What Lori said. The brokers usually own season tickets and make group purchases when allowed, like all other season ticket holders, or they know people that have seasons that will put in a large purchase for them.

657078[/snapback]

Jack, you are the expert. Can you think of a way that this money (which I think adds up to quite a bit) could go into Ralph's pocket rather than to the brokers?

I am looking at the current system and it makes no sense to me (not that you should be that surprised :D ).

Jack, you are the expert. Can you think of a way that this money (which I think adds up to quite a bit) could go into Ralph's pocket rather than to the brokers?

I am looking at the current system and it makes no sense to me (not that you should be that surprised  :D ).

657165[/snapback]

Well, NY does have anti-scalping laws. I remember one way people on EBay got around it was to sell you some small Bills trinket, like a pencil, and they would "throw in" a pair of seats to a game if the auction ended at or above $XX. I'm not sure how the Bills could legally do anything in terms of making more money for tickets like the brokers do. They've already recieved what the tickets are priced at.