Talk about missing the boat!

Dan Gross

There's more to it than picking the "best available player."

in the Tuesday edition of MMQB.

I [King] asked him [Polian]: "When you're rooting so hard for your team, can you really watch the game and appreciate not only your own guy but Favre?"

"Oh, I do. I realize what I'm seeing. You can't help but marvel at the skills he has. He and Peyton and a game like that are what make this game so great. Funny story. When Brett was in college at Southern Miss, I was with the Bills, and I scouted him one day at Georgia, between the hedges. He'd had that intestinal issue (Favre had two feet of his intestine removed after a bad car accident as a Southern Miss junior), but now he was back playing, and he was fantastic in that game. I don't remember who won, but I remember thinking what a great player Favre was going to be. So the next day, I'm at our game, and Mr. [bills owner Ralph] Wilson asked me who I'd scouted yesterday. I told him, 'Mr. Wilson, I saw the next Jim Kelly.' He said, 'Get outta here! What's his name?' I told him. And that year, we had a chance to get him in the draft, picking late in the first round. We'd just signed Jim to a long contract, so there was no chance we'd take him. I remember Marv Levy saying, 'Brett would just wither on the vine here.'"

I told him, "Favre needed to play. He was a party animal, and he might have partied himself out of the league in Buffalo with Darryl Talley and some of those other guys. After his first year in Atlanta, if he hadn't gotten traded to Green Bay and was just left to be a backup with the Falcons, who knows if he'd ever have become a great player?"

unfrigginbelievable............I hope we remember the last 10 years as what might have been. 

yeah, we'd have gotten a drunk in 1996. He'd have crapped around on the bench for 4 years. The wait of the world would have been on him to be the next jim kelly. If the bills had drafted him, favre would have been a complete waste.

That reminds me; I almost had a bagel this morning for breakfast.  I decided to just have some water and an apple instead.  Damn, I wish I'd had that bagel!  Life would've been so much easier.

48424[/snapback]

You had an apple and water for breakfast? What's the matter, no crust left?

Of course you wish you had the bagel, any sane man would. Talk about missed opportunities. Well, I guess that's your lox in life. :D

Ummm, hello!

How many other GM's passed on him?  Why did you just single out Polian?!  ;)

49094[/snapback]

I singled him out because he admitted to scouting Favre, recognizing his talent, and considered drafting him. Oh, yeah, and because the story is Bills-related. Chill out.

I singled him out because he admitted to scouting Favre, recognizing his talent, and considered drafting him.  Oh, yeah, and because the story is Bills-related.  Chill out.

49100[/snapback]

Ok....how would you like to be the GM of Atlanta? They actually drafted him, and let him go....then he went onto GB to become great. The same thing could of happened had the Bills drafted him.

Ok....how would you like to be the GM of Atlanta?  They actually drafted him, and let him go....then he went onto GB to become great.  The same thing could of happened had the Bills drafted him.

49167[/snapback]

That's why I said "There's more to it than picking the 'best available player.'" Even though I gave the thread a "Rudy-type" subject, I agree with Polian's and Marv's rationale...But it's just funny to think that, after all the QB woes we've had since Kelly's departure, we actually considered Favre...not that it would have worked, but that we could have had him.

I like how he called out Talley as one of the "partiers."