OMG Connolly!

I never blame a goalie for not stopping a deflection from a foot outside the blue on a rush - especially when both defensemen get caught flat and beat by players working harder.  Maybe I'm crazy. 

There was three players between Miller and Gagne but no one within 6 feet of Gagne.  Gagne was all alone between the hash marks and puts a perfect  hard shot just under the cross bar blocker side and Miller gets a partial pass?  That rough.

Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that Marty played pretty much like crap against Ottawa (the second goal was as soft as it gets and would have absolutely meant a loss in the playoffs) but because we got a miracle win against a team that was missing their TOP FOUR defensemen...

It's not going to matter who starts between the pipes if we don't start playing smarter and winning little battles - just as it hasn't mattered much in the last 3 weeks for exactly the same reason.

656382[/snapback]

I still think Miller should have stopped the 1st shot. Considering, even if he had caught the shot, he ended up in the net, he misplayed that one. Sometimes the team needs their goalie to step up and bail them out; Miller didn't do it.

I thought Gagne was further back, towards the top of the circles, but again, I didn't have the benefit of replay.

Considering I was at the Amerks game on Wednesday, I guess you are the only one that noticed Marty played like crud that day.

Agreed with your final point.

Connolley was solid again tonight. One sweet goal. One very sweet goal. And some terrific passing.

656867[/snapback]

Yeah, and a slam dunk chance for the hat trick, and he shoots it right into the 3rd string goalie's glove... <_<

But, good game by Timmy tonight.

Yeah, and a slam dunk chance for the hat trick, and he shoots it right into the 3rd string goalie's glove... <_<

656907[/snapback]

You don't get to take that shot everyday. But in fairness it looked like a hellava save.

It's not Miller.  It's the team around him.  We continue to lose all the little battles (especially in our own zone).  Tonight was a perfect example.

Goal 1:  We get outhustled to the puck AND don't take the man charging the net.

Goal 2:  We leave SIMON FRIGGIN' GAGNE all alone in the slot.

Goal 3:  Jay McKee steps in front of Miller right as Dejardin's winds up for a slap shot from the near point.  Screen is set.  Goal.

Goal 4:  Tony Lydman nonchalants his way back and Knuble beats him to the far post for the easy tap in.  We literally have three forwards within three feet of the guy who ended up with the first assist.  Nice communication.  Ridiculous.

656154[/snapback]

I agree that the team has had its' share of defensive lapses, but I really don't think Miller is blameless. He has just not been as agressive in the net, as he was, when he was playing great. The Sabres were having those defensive lapses then, too, but Miller was making most every kind of save. It seemed like he was going out, and making the puck handlers shoot, before they were ready, now, it is they who are toying with him. He did play a much, much better game Saturday against Ottawa...maybe the switch is back on. God, I hope so!