OMG Connolly!

What's been up with Miller since the Olympic break? He was playing like a brick wall and now can't seem to stop anything. What gives?  :(

656115[/snapback]

It's not Miller. It's the team around him. We continue to lose all the little battles (especially in our own zone). Tonight was a perfect example.

Goal 1: We get outhustled to the puck AND don't take the man charging the net.

Goal 2: We leave SIMON FRIGGIN' GAGNE all alone in the slot.

Goal 3: Jay McKee steps in front of Miller right as Dejardin's winds up for a slap shot from the near point. Screen is set. Goal.

Goal 4: Tony Lydman nonchalants his way back and Knuble beats him to the far post for the easy tap in. We literally have three forwards within three feet of the guy who ended up with the first assist. Nice communication. Ridiculous.

It's not Miller.  It's the team around him.  We continue to lose all the little battles (especially in our own zone).  Tonight was a perfect example.

Goal 1:  We get outhustled to the puck AND don't take the man charging the net.

Goal 2:  We leave SIMON FRIGGIN' GAGNE all alone in the slot.

Goal 3:  Jay McKee steps in front of Miller right as Dejardin's winds up for a slap shot from the near point.  Screen is set.  Goal.

Goal 4:  Tony Lydman nonchalants his way back and Knuble beats him to the far post for the easy tap in.  We literally have three forwards within three feet of the guy who ended up with the first assist.  Nice communication.  Ridiculous.

656154[/snapback]

For as good as Mckee has been this year, he seems to have 1 good brain fart every game.

What Lydman was thinking I don't know. Was it supposed to be someone else's guy on the goal? He just looked lost.

Connolley's goal was great. A highlight of a very pedestrian performance overall.

Lesson learned this month is that it is very difficult to play catch up against Philly/NJ.

For as good as Mckee has been this year, he seems to have 1 good brain fart every game.

What Lydman was thinking I don't know. Was it supposed to be someone else's guy on the goal? He just looked lost.

Connolley's goal was great. A highlight of a very pedestrian performance overall.

Lesson learned this month is that it is very difficult to play catch up against Philly/NJ.

656158[/snapback]

I dont think they've learned that lesson yet, they still seem to fold quite a bit.

That is what keeps him from being one of the elite NHL defensive DMen. It won't keep him from getting a big contract next season, however.

I don't really blame Lydman, to be honest. Whoever was lowest made the decision to leave the middle to get the puck. In hindsight, that was really the mistake. There's no way that player scores from that angle, so the better play would have been to eliminate the passing lane and Knuble and let the TWO trailing forwards catch the puck carrier.

I think I blamed Lydman simply because he was trying to cover for the multiple screw ups everyone else made on the play and because he's a defensemen so he should be low instead of above the hash but sometimes the rush causes that.

656158[/snapback]

You aren't going to have alot of success playing from behind against anyone in the playoffs because it's going to be difficult to "out effort" anyone with so much at stake.

I think I blamed Lydman simply because he was trying to cover for the multiple screw ups everyone else made on the play and because he's a defensemen so he should be low instead of above the hash but sometimes the rush causes that.

656163[/snapback]

Great points.

Who cares what the city of New Orleans thinks of Ryan Miller?

656189[/snapback]

What do you mean....New Orleans has everything to do with that guy...last time I went there I had at least 67 Miller Lights.....get with the program!!!! :(

What do you mean....New Orleans has everything to do with that guy...last time I went there I had at least 67 Miller Lights.....get with the program!!!!  :(

656194[/snapback]

I just figured out that you went to the game. I'd be pissed too if I paid Gold level to watch that. :( Note Well - this may be the only time I use this smilie - I think it is now the official I paid Gold Level Prices for an Alumni Sabres level effort smilie :lol:

All I know is that the city of BUFFALO and this guy...yeah me....is going to go bananas during the playoffs and we are going to wipe up the floor with that excuse for a hockey team in Philly!!!!!

P.S. With MARTY TIME in net!!!

yes it is...this team has NO confidence in him!!!!!!

656178[/snapback]

I'd say it's the opposite. They have too much confidence in the goaltending and because of that they are leaving early or not making the easy play. He's not allowing soft goals, though he's also not making the spectacular saves he was making earlier.

We're seeing more mistakes in a period than we saw in entire shifts by the guys in front of Miller. I think a good portion of that is that our opponents have something to play for and are alot more desperate than we are. I sincerely hope we can flip the switch when it matters.

It's not Miller.  It's the team around him.  We continue to lose all the little battles (especially in our own zone).  Tonight was a perfect example.

Goal 1:  We get outhustled to the puck AND don't take the man charging the net.

Goal 2:  We leave SIMON FRIGGIN' GAGNE all alone in the slot.

Goal 3:  Jay McKee steps in front of Miller right as Dejardin's winds up for a slap shot from the near point.  Screen is set.  Goal.

Goal 4:  Tony Lydman nonchalants his way back and Knuble beats him to the far post for the easy tap in.  We literally have three forwards within three feet of the guy who ended up with the first assist.  Nice communication.  Ridiculous.

656154[/snapback]

I went to the game tonight, so I didn't have the benefit of (much) replay, but I definitely thought he should have stopped the 1st one. That goal took a lot of life out of the team.

I was giving him a partial pass on the Gagne goal, simply because it was Gagne, but he was far enough out that I would expect Ryan to make that save more often than not.

Couldn't tell that he was screened on the 3rd one from where I was sitting, but it did look like he got a piece of it. I will give him a pass on that one, as it now appears he was screened.

Was (and still am) giving him a pass on the 4th one, but wonder if his coming out as much as he did to challenge the shooter was due to a request by Lindy / Corsi for him to be more aggressive or if it was a lack of focus, as I have seen several interviews with him where he has stated that he is intentionally staying back further in his crease so as to prevent those backside plays from happening. Where he was, he had absolutely no chance whatsoever.

At any rate, I expect Marty to start tomorrow, and the job is getting close to the point of being his to lose. Ryan simply has not stepped up to take the job back from Marty. While you are right in that a lot of the goals he is giving up he has no chance on, he is tending to give up a soft goal early in the game more often than not. In the playoffs, when everyone brings their A level intensity, those soft early goals will allow them to challenge Darci to a longest drive contest far sooner than I would like.

The Connolly goal was sick. That kid has always had the talent. Not he's putting it out on display nightly.

Miller is still in his first full season. Maybe he's tired. And a lot of you crowed about how he should have been the Team USA goalie. Imagine if he had gone. It wouldn't have helped.

I went to the game tonight, so I didn't have the benefit of (much) replay, but I definitely thought he should have stopped the 1st one.  That goal took a lot of life out of the team.

I never blame a goalie for not stopping a deflection from a foot outside the blue on a rush - especially when both defensemen get caught flat and beat by players working harder. Maybe I'm crazy.

I was giving him a partial pass on the Gagne goal, simply because it was Gagne, but he was far enough out that I would expect Ryan to make that save more often than not.

656234[/snapback]

There was three players between Miller and Gagne but no one within 6 feet of Gagne. Gagne was all alone between the hash marks and puts a perfect hard shot just under the cross bar blocker side and Miller gets a partial pass? That rough.

Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that Marty played pretty much like crap against Ottawa (the second goal was as soft as it gets and would have absolutely meant a loss in the playoffs) but because we got a miracle win against a team that was missing their TOP FOUR defensemen...

It's not going to matter who starts between the pipes if we don't start playing smarter and winning little battles - just as it hasn't mattered much in the last 3 weeks for exactly the same reason.