Flogging dead horse, Part #1237

GG

I've read the rationale on these pages that one of the reasons to bar Dubai Ports from operating US ports is the role of Dubai in facilitating money movements among terrorist organizations.

That criticism usually does not delve deeply into whether the funding originates in Dubai, as opposed to UAE banks simply being unwitting conduits of international monetary flows. In its goal to become the financial center of MidEast, the monetary flows in and out of Dubai are going to increase dramatically. It will probably be a good thing to have their internal controls be on par with solid western institutions, like this one (courtesy of NY Post):

The Manhattan DA is pursuing a settlement with the Bank of America in a major money-laundering probe of more than $3 billion that flowed from Latin America through one of the bank's accounts to Mideast fanatics, sources said yesterday.

Sources familiar with the case - reported in yesterday's (April 3) Post - revealed that DA Robert Morgenthau is close to reaching a settlement with the nation's second largest bank.

The bank is not being accused of complicity with money-launderers or terrorists, but is facing possible penalties for dealing with an unlicensed money transmitter....

I've read the rationale on these pages that one of the reasons to bar Dubai Ports from operating US ports is the role of Dubai in facilitating money movements among terrorist organizations.

That criticism usually does not delve deeply into whether the funding originates in Dubai, as opposed to UAE banks simply being unwitting conduits of international monetary flows.  In its goal to become the financial center of MidEast, the monetary flows in and out of Dubai are going to increase dramatically.  It will probably be a good thing to have their internal controls be on par with solid western institutions, like this one (courtesy of NY Post):

655904[/snapback]

Yet another reason why American companies should not be running our ports. :P

Yet another reason why American companies should not be running our ports.  :P

655912[/snapback]

That's ok. I'm sure my senior Senator will be decrying this right away. :doh:

Oh, wait, Bank of America ISN'T a UAE entity? :D

Oh, Nevermind. :lol:

That's ok.  I'm sure my senior Senator will be decrying this right away.  :P

Oh, wait, Bank of America ISN'T a UAE entity?  :doh:

Oh, Nevermind.  :D

655919[/snapback]

There's some Saudi ownership in there, so just wait.

There's Saudi ownership everywhere.  The Saudis probably own 5% of my car.

And that's bad.  I guess.  Now my car's a threat to national security or something.

655976[/snapback]

It blowed up real good.

Yet another reason why American companies should not be running our ports.  :(

655912[/snapback]

:lol::(:doh:

Actually Ken, I admire you more for saying this. I don't agree... But, I respect you for saying something like this and speaking what you feel is right.

I am sorry, you will have to read between the lines once again with this above post... I don't want to step on your toes or any political apspirations you may have.

Your Ever Cordial,

EII

That's ok.  I'm sure my senior Senator will be decrying this right away.  :(

Oh, wait, Bank of America ISN'T a UAE entity?  :lol:

Oh, Nevermind.  :doh:

655919[/snapback]

And here I thought BoA was a "chick" entity (actually the first female controlled bank) founded over a 100 years ago... You know... "Bank AmeriCard"... "Visa"... All that nice stuff... God, I love those commercials, I don't see them any more... Maybe they can add this new UAE twist thing to them...

You learn something new everyday... Thanks!

:(

• 2 weeks later...