Beer Question How Does Blue Moon

I agree with your choices. I had Blue Moon last week and it is not as good as Hoegaarden. The problem is that Hoegaarden was purchased by the European version of BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors). As a result, the quality of Hoegaarden has dropped slightly. It is still a good brew, just not as good as it used to be. Unibroue Blance de Chambly is very good and I would go with that or the Hoegaarden.

I just suggest one leaves the fruit out of the beer. One of my pet peeves. I refuse to put anything in my beer after it has conditioned. If you want orange flavor in your beer, it should have been brewed with it in the first place.

655685[/snapback]

I agree about fruit slices in beer. My wife puts lemon in the hefeweizen that I brew, I still cringe when she does it, but I'm just happy that she actually enjoys something that I brew. You brewed a wit yourself didn't you? That's a style I have yet to attempt, I should though since I have about 25 lbs of wheat malt waiting to be mashed.

I agree about fruit slices in beer.  My wife puts lemon in the hefeweizen that I brew, I still cringe when she does it, but I'm just happy that she actually enjoys something that I brew.  You brewed a wit yourself didn't you?  That's a style I have yet to attempt, I should though since I have about 25 lbs of wheat malt waiting to be mashed.

655860[/snapback]

Wit is on the list and I have the recipe done, but it has not been brewed yet. It is basically a clone of Hoegaarden. The Poor Richard's is aging nicely (I LOVE this one. Initial taste is a slight hint of the Special Roast, but it quickly disappears into a smooth molassas finish. Hop is EKG and it is subtle.). The tripel is coming along, but still needs a few months, the Blonde will be bottled this weekend. I will be brewing an Amber Ale this weekend (converted my 2nd place Amber from Extract to AG and this is my first attempt at it). Next weekend will be a Ginseng beer and then either a Wit or Weizen Doublebock. I also want an IIPA, but I do not want to tie up a fermenter for six months. I also want to do an Anchor Steam clone, but will change the profile slightly.

Wit is on the list and I have the recipe done, but it has not been brewed yet. It is basically a clone of Hoegaarden. The Poor Richard's is aging nicely (I LOVE this one. Initial taste is a slight hint of the Special Roast, but it quickly disappears into a smooth molassas finish. Hop is EKG and it is subtle.). The tripel is coming along, but still needs a few months, the Blonde will be bottled this weekend. I will be brewing an Amber Ale this weekend (converted my 2nd place Amber from Extract to AG and this is my first attempt at it). Next weekend will be a Ginseng beer and then either a Wit or Weizen Doublebock. I also want an IIPA, but I do not want to tie up a fermenter for six months. I also want to do an Anchor Steam clone, but will change the profile slightly.

655877[/snapback]

Christ, now he's started...

Nothing compares to Belgium beers- the finest on the planet.  Hoegarden is one of the better Belgium wheat beers.  I also love the Lambics.  I beleive Blue Moon is made by Coors

655286[/snapback]

I picked up some Hoegarden last night. $8 for a six pack. Tasting starts after work today!

Dortmunder Gold is a fine beer, but Great Lakes also makes their own version of a witbier called Holy Moses White Ale.  I have never tried it myself, but I'd be surprised if it's not better than Blue Moon.

655343[/snapback]

After seing the other beer thread today, I had to dig this up. I was at the liquor store earlier getting some beer and I remembered someone mentioning the Holy Moses White Ale from Great Lakes, so I grabbed a sixer. I'm on #4 now and man is this stuff good.

Also in this thread LA and someone else suggested a Duvel. I was at dinner the other night with my g/f and her parents and when the waitress mentioned it, I remembered the suggestion and figured I'd give it a shot. Holy sh-- that was some GOOD stuff. Ended up downing about 3 with dinner. I woulda picked some up today but surprisingly, they didn't have it at our liqour store.

Don't get me wrong, when I go out to do serious drinking and get shitcanned I still do the Labatt, Natty, Budweiser, whatever's cheap thing (I mean I am a college student after all), but it sure is fun to try all kinds of "good" beers when I'm looking to relax and drink 6 or so and play some cards or something.

I picked up some Hoegarden last night. $8 for a six pack. Tasting starts after work today!

656264[/snapback]

Hoegarden has a different taste which at first I was turned off by. But the more Hoe I had, the more I enjoyed it's taste. Hammer's Nail rating 14 penny

I would say thou I like Blue Moon more Hammer's Nail rating 16 penny

For reference a beer like Labatts Blue Light Hammer's Nail Rating 1/2" finish brad

which is close to being a staple from desk stapler!

After seing the other beer thread today, I had to dig this up. I was at the liquor store earlier getting some beer and I remembered someone mentioning the Holy Moses White Ale from Great Lakes, so I grabbed a sixer. I'm on #4 now and man is this stuff good.

Also in this thread LA and someone else suggested a Duvel. I was at dinner the other night with my g/f and her parents and when the waitress mentioned it,  I remembered the suggestion and figured I'd give it a shot. Holy sh-- that was some GOOD stuff. Ended up downing about 3 with dinner. I woulda picked some up today but surprisingly, they didn't have it at our liqour store.

Don't get me wrong, when I go out to do serious drinking and get shitcanned I still do the Labatt, Natty, Budweiser, whatever's cheap thing (I mean I am a college student after all), but it sure is fun to try all kinds of "good" beers when I'm looking to relax and drink 6 or so and play some cards or something.

660634[/snapback]

Whenever I see college students buying Keystone Light, I offer them a few dollars so they can buy better beer. So far they all laugh and none of them have accepted the money to upgrade.

Sad to be refused when I am only trying to educate and give civilization a punchers chance on this big blue marble.

Also in this thread LA and someone else suggested a Duvel. I was at dinner the other night with my g/f and her parents and when the waitress mentioned it,  I remembered the suggestion and figured I'd give it a shot. Holy sh-- that was some GOOD stuff. Ended up downing about 3 with dinner. I woulda picked some up today but surprisingly, they didn't have it at our liqour store.

660634[/snapback]

I believe Duvel is in the 8-9% abv range. Were you buzzed at dinner with your gf's parents?

I believe Duvel is in the 8-9% abv range.  Were you buzzed at dinner with your gf's parents?

660870[/snapback]

Oh yeah. And it was a real nice day so we had been hanging out at our frat house throwing the football around and drinking some beers earlier that afternoon. Needless to say by the end of dinner I was in the "talk about everything" buzzed mode. After dinner we went out to this bar that's a small German beer garden type place that has 20 or so German beers on tap. After a liter, a shot, and a car bomb with my girlfriend's mom I was past buzzed.... :P