Beer Question How Does Blue Moon

I've been drinking it semi-regularly lately too. I really like it with a meal or drinking a 6 of it during a poker game or before going out. I'm sure there are a lot more knowledgeable people than me on the subject, but I would guess it's a good but not great representation of a Belgian wheat ale's taste. I want to think for some reason that it's brewed by the Coors brewing co., so it is mass produced in the US. If you want a real Belgian white, try some Hoegaarden (sp?) if you can find it. I've gotten a couple sixers of it here from the liquor store (they have a great microbrew & import selection) and it's real good. It's imported from Belgium, so it's about as close as you could get to the real thing I guess!

I just tried this a few weeks back, and really licked Blue Moon a lot.  But I still say Dortmunder Gold by Great Lakes Brewery is the bext beer out there.

655331[/snapback]

You're supposed to drink it, not lick it.

:)

I just tried this a few weeks back, and really licked Blue Moon a lot.  But I still say Dortmunder Gold by Great Lakes Brewery is the bext beer out there.

655331[/snapback]

Dortmunder Gold is a fine beer, but Great Lakes also makes their own version of a witbier called Holy Moses White Ale. I have never tried it myself, but I'd be surprised if it's not better than Blue Moon.

Didnt mind the Hoaegarden (sp) but didnt really like the corriander taste in it. The Dinosaur serves pints of Blue Moon with a slice of lemon or orange (cant remember) in it. Not too bad. Good beer on a hot day.

655331[/snapback]

The Great Lakes stuff is awesome. The Dortmunder is a great beer. Ever try their Holiday ale / Christmas ale (can't remember what it's called)? It's very good and I think it was over 7% abv. My roomate said the Nosferatu ale is real good too.

Blue Moon is quite good. As another poster mentioned, definately give Duvel a try. This goes down as the best beer I have ever had. It's $3.49 at Premiere Liquors for a 16 oz but it is well worth it. Hoegardden is also amazing. I recommend finding a bar with Hoegarden on tap for its true taste.

The Great Lakes stuff is awesome. The Dortmunder is a great beer. Ever try their Holiday ale / Christmas ale (can't remember what it's called)? It's very good and I think it was over 7% abv.  My roomate said the Nosferatu ale is real good too.

655349[/snapback]

I haven't tried that. I had the Edmond Fitzgerald, Eliot Ness and Burning River. All of them were at least good, but the Dortmunder is by far the best.

Dortmunder Gold is a fine beer, but Great Lakes also makes their own version of a witbier called Holy Moses White Ale.  I have never tried it myself, but I'd be surprised if it's not better than Blue Moon.

655343[/snapback]

I did get a chance to try the Holy Moses last summer. It is very good (so are all of the Great Lakes beers). Hoegaarden is probably the best but my personal favorite is Ommegang's Witte. Only problem is its a little pricey ($10/6pk) to drink often. Blue Moon is not too bad. A slice of orange tossed in the bottle helps the favor.

Blue moon is indeed made by Coors.  Here is a list of some good witbiers.

Witbier

I'd recommend trying to get your hands on some Unibroue Blanche de Chambly or some Allagash White.  I believe you can find both of these beers at Premier Gourmet .

655328[/snapback]

I agree with your choices. I had Blue Moon last week and it is not as good as Hoegaarden. The problem is that Hoegaarden was purchased by the European version of BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors). As a result, the quality of Hoegaarden has dropped slightly. It is still a good brew, just not as good as it used to be. Unibroue Blance de Chambly is very good and I would go with that or the Hoegaarden.

I just suggest one leaves the fruit out of the beer. One of my pet peeves. I refuse to put anything in my beer after it has conditioned. If you want orange flavor in your beer, it should have been brewed with it in the first place.

I agree with your choices. I had Blue Moon last week and it is not as good as Hoegaarden. The problem is that Hoegaarden was purchased by the European version of BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors). As a result, the quality of Hoegaarden has dropped slightly. It is still a good brew, just not as good as it used to be. Unibroue Blance de Chambly is very good and I would go with that or the Hoegaarden.

I just suggest one leaves the fruit out of the beer. One of my pet peeves. I refuse to put anything in my beer after it has conditioned. If you want orange flavor in your beer, it should have been brewed with it in the first place.

655685[/snapback]

I love Ken. (Love his wife, too)

The true renaissance man. Brews his own beer, publishes a football historical site, is writing a book on North Korea, and is involved heavily in State Politics. Where does he find the time and energy?

But, the good looking blonde helicopter pilot likes the orange slice, so I'm not going to tell her she's wrong because you said so.

That said, take what Ken tells you on beer as pretty much gospel.

But, the good looking blonde helicopter pilot likes the orange slice, so I'm not going to tell her she's wrong because you said so.

655757[/snapback]

You, sir, have your priorities in order. :P