If Marv trades our '06 1st round pick

Guest BackInDaDay

Guest BackInDaDay
No.  Why delay the development progress of this years rookie for an unknown pick next year?

654988[/snapback]

Again, conventional wisdom would agree that within three years time our '06 1st round pick would be outperforming both '06 2nd rounders. But to what degree?

Let's say all three played up to their potential. At this point, I think the Bills could use two very good players more than one excellent player. Following the same scenario, in '07 we'd have two more very good players. Sorry guys, I think we need solid players right now, not superstars.

I see your point, but that's probably the kind of team that we could make the deal with - someone expecting a late round 1st.  But considering the amount of talent in this draft, I think having multiple 2nd to 3rd round picks could bring some good talent in.  Then, considering our probable 4-12 to 8-8 finish in '06, worst case we're looking at the 7th to 15th overall and the 32nd overall.  Get a couple good players there, too.

654872[/snapback]

I like to refer to "talent" in college players as "potential" in the NFL... there's no such thing as "talent" in a draft. Talent cannot be assessed until years later.

Guest BackInDaDay
I like to refer to "talent" in college players as "potential" in the NFL... there's no such thing as "talent" in a draft.  Talent cannot be assessed until years later.

655005[/snapback]

OK. Talent's for artists.

How about we call them the most AMH players. Agile, Mobile and Hostile. :)

I get your point, though.

The kids invited to the NFL combine have consistently played up to, and beyond their potential as college players. The combine gives the coaches an opportunity to see them up close and personal in order to make a judgement call on what their 'potential' ceiling and floor will be in the pro-game.

As has been pointed out, the 8th overall pick typically has a lot of trade value. You don't give it up for just a second this year and a first next year. If your goal is to trade out of the #8 spot, you could get a mid-first round pick and second round pick this year, or you could get a second and third round pick this year, and a first next year. Or something like that. No sense in leaving money on the table.

If three QBs get taken in the top seven, then that means just four non-QBs were taken. Look at the non-QBs: Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Vernon Davis. There are five guys on that list, so at least one of those guys has to fall to us if the QBs all go in the top 7. What if a QB falls to Buffalo? Depending on who it is, we could either take him or trade the pick to a team desperate for a QB. If we go the latter route, we should charge them a good, high price, just as Dallas did to us when we traded for the Losman pick.

You can not trade this high of a pick for a 2nd rounder this year and then a 1st next, first off no, 2nd no. the 8th pick, HAS TO GET US A STARTER, even if we trade down, we have to to get a starter....I am sorry I yelled. Plus lets say it's a 49ers that we do this deal hoping that we get a better than 8th for next year. Don't you think that the 49ers would improve with two top 10 picks. This draft is too strong, and it is unclear how next years looks-(right now), we could throw out names, but they still have to play the season. Do the best thing for this team this year, if we trade down, don't go to far back, and get an S load of picks. one or two great player could be had in this draft.

if we trade down from the #8 pick, we should get their 1st round pick this year, and their 2nd round this year.

or their 1st this year, and a 5th this year, and their 1st next year.

common NFL thinking, a 2nd this year is worth the same as a 1st next year.

Guest BackInDaDay
Minnesota is a a team that I can see us trading with, they have an extra @nd from the fins and looks like they want to beat out Arizona for Cutler. Its an official bidding war folks.

655256[/snapback]

Cool. Whatever Marv can do to strengthen this entire roster is OK by me.

How about we trade our first pick for someone's 1st and 2nd this year. That way maybe we get two starters one on DL and OL

654855[/snapback]

I definitely prefer that scenerio...Maybe Arizona or Cleveland want to Trade up for one of the QB's (I'm assuming one from Leinart, Cutler or Young will still be there at #8)??? I think Minnesota is a possibility also, they have two 2nd Round Picks, but not sure I would want to go all the way down to #17...I think the dropoff is pretty severe from 8-17...Not so much from 8-10, or even 8-12... :)

As has been pointed out, the 8th overall pick typically has a lot of trade value. You don't give it up for just a second this year and a first next year.  If your goal is to trade out of the #8 spot, you could get a mid-first round pick and second round pick this year, or you could get a second and third round pick this year, and a first next year.  Or something like that.  No sense in leaving money on the table.

If three QBs get taken in the top seven, then that means just four non-QBs were taken.  Look at the non-QBs: Reggie Bush, AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Vernon Davis.  There are five guys on that list, so at least one of those guys has to fall to us if the QBs all go in the top 7.  What if a QB falls to Buffalo?  Depending on who it is, we could either take him or trade the pick to a team desperate for a QB.  If we go the latter route, we should charge them a good, high price, just as Dallas did to us when we traded for the Losman pick.

655028[/snapback]

Agreed...I'm guessing, unless there is movement in front of The Bills at #8, that one of those QB's (probably Cutler) will be available at #8...That may just start the panic-mode for the Teams from #9 on on down that want a QB...The Bills could turn that into a Trade Down that is actually a bit better than the Chart. For example if The Bills can Trade Down with a Team from 9-12 and get their 1st and 2nd, that is better than "Value Chart" Compensation. If they Trade with say Minnesota, and get #17 and #48, that is 30 points short of "Value Chart" Compensation. So Minnesota would likely have to throw in a later Round Pick, or a 2007 Pick to sweeten the Deal.

This scenerio could prove to be VERY good for The Bills in the long run... :)