Why hasnt Willis squashed the rumor?

If this rumor is sooooooooo untrue (rediculous as some posters have said), why not a public statement from Willis?

Please don't tell me its because he's getting ready for tonights game.

In the time it would take him to walk to the sideline for a water break, he could call Ed Kilgore (or any other Buffalo media) and tell them he is happy as a hobo who just found a ham sandwhich about being in buffalo.

Even if it was COMPLETELY made up (which is doubt), Rosenscumbag and Willis might have realized there could be some benefit to this rumor.

Even if it was COMPLETELY made up (which is doubt), Rosenscumbag and Willis might have realized there could be some benefit to this rumor.

2556[/snapback]

Willis will have the benefit of getting the (you) kicked out of him by multiple defenders if he doesn't stop worrying about what he thinks he's done and start focusing on what he needs to do.

I think the kid is confident in his abilities and knows he'll excell at the Pro level.

He's lobbying for an opportunity to start.

Remember, it was Travis who started with the poopy diapers.

What's Willis to do - fold up his tent and not strive to be a star?

I think a lot of fans have this wrong. It's about money AND a championship mentality.

Call it ego, but he knows he's good enough to be a starter in the NFL.

I like it. Most fans don't 'cause they think we own his ass and Travis's too.

What would you do? Take the money and shutup? Many would.

I'm very glad that he doesn't want to be a bench warmer.

I think the kid is confident in his abilities and knows he'll excell at the Pro level.

I think a lot of fans have this wrong. It's about money AND a championship mentality.

2571[/snapback]

Certainly so - that's been mentioned. However, businesses should and do take actions to squelch dertrimental rumors - and the Bills have done that. And were I them, I'd make sure to get WM's mouth somewhere in the media saying that it is not so.

The timing is very odd!!! Rarely do you hear from player prior to the gameday. It has all day to fester. Now Willis and Rosenpenis have two options. If if plays well tonight, he can say.....Yes I want to be traded, if I'm not the started. If he doesn't look good or average.....then he can deny and pretend that everything is okay and that he and Travis are going home to play Madden.

2571[/snapback]

The timing is very odd!!!  Rarely do you hear from player prior to the gameday.  It has all day to fester.  Now Willis and Rosenpenis have two options.  If if plays well tonight, he can say.....Yes I want to be traded, if I'm not the started.  If he doesn't look good or average.....then he can deny and pretend that everything is okay and that he and Travis are going home to play Madden.

2616[/snapback]

You have a devious mind. :o

According to WGR, Willis did say something to the Bills after it came out and they asked him about it. He told the Bills that he never said that, and that "he doesn't know anything about it."

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=0488

Secondly, just how is he supposed to do this? Call a press conference? The team stays together the night before. McGahee is not going to call a reporter unprovoked, just to squash a rumor that he didnt start. They will ask him about it after the game, unless he is interviewed during it, which is highly, highly unlikely considering that this isn't a nationally televised game.

According to WGR, Willis did say something to the Bills after it came out and they asked him about it. He told the Bills that he never said that, and that "he doesn't know anything about it."

Secondly, just how is he supposed to do this? Call a press conference? The team stays together the night before. McGahee is not going to call a reporter unprovoked, just to squash a rumor that he didnt start. They will ask him about it after the game, unless he is interviewed during it, which is highly, highly unlikely considering that this isn't a nationally televised game.

2624[/snapback]

But if that's the case, then stevestojan would be wrong. And I'm fairly certain he doesn't want to be wrong because everytime something DOESN'T happen to prove him wrong, he sees it as something that obviously proves him to be right.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that helps people like William Hung record an album and tour the world.

But if that's the case, then stevestojan would be wrong. And I'm fairly certain he doesn't want to be wrong because everytime something DOESN'T happen to prove him wrong, he sees it as something that obviously proves him to be right.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that helps people like William Hung record an album and tour the world.

2636[/snapback]

where do you get this from? What the !@#$ are you talking about?

2624[/snapback]

That's good to know, but if something is swirling about, even if only in your own back yard, take care of it. A WMG phone call to one of the local sports talking-heads would seem to do the trick. You don't need to assure the whole Nation - just the local folks that are most concerned/bothered/upset or whatever. I don't think anyone other than Bill's fans give a rat's fanny about it anyway - here today gone tomorrow.

where do you get this from? What the !@#$ are you talking about?

2639[/snapback]

You're basing this thread on the fact that nothing has happened, and to keep bringing up the potential for doom and gloom based on non-events is kinda fatalistic, don't you think?

That's good to know, but if something is swirling about, even if only in your own back yard, take care of it.  A WMG phone call to one of the local sports talking-heads would seem to do the trick.  You don't need to assure the whole Nation - just the local folks that are most concerned/bothered/upset or whatever.  I don't think anyone other than Bill's fans give a rat's fanny about it anyway - here today gone tomorrow.

2646[/snapback]

Not that public relations departments of NFL football teams wouldn't lie to the press either, but it was the specific way that WGR reported it that makes me believe it in this particular case. The Bills could have just said "there is no truth to this whatsoever", which Scott Berchold did immediately. But this story says that Willis specifically denied that he said it to the Bills after the story came out, and specifically said that he doesn't know where the story came from. That is something that could or would (rightfully) piss Willis off if he did not indeed say that to them, and why would they put themselves in that position when they don't have to. They want and need a happy McGahee. As happy as he can be under the circumstances. (As well as a happy Travis, as well as he can be under the circumstances).

The point is, the Bills would not have used that way to deny the story if it wasn't true.

all theses want to be the #1. they are stud racehorses and thrive and do well when they stroke their egos. no humble person ever did well at anything like being a #1 NFL RB.

also, #23 wants the big bucks! he cant make the money if he is behind travis. if dealt, he will hold out - to readjust his contract to $3,4 mil per season. right now, he is making only $ six figures after after taxes.

rosenhause is brillant. he has a 'one away from no playing #23' and needs to milk the money for the play. Mcgahee is NOT going to play out his 5 year deal with the bills and then get moved. no way...

Not that public relations departments of NFL football teams wouldn't lie to the press either, but it was the specific way that WGR reported it that makes me believe it in this particular case. The Bills could have just said "there is no truth to this whatsoever", which Scott Berchold did immediately. But this story says that Willis specifically denied that he said it to the Bills after the story came out, and specifically said that he doesn't know where the story came from. That is something that could or would (rightfully) piss Willis off if he did not indeed say that to them, and why would they put themselves in that position when they don't have to. They want and need a happy McGahee. As happy as he can be under the circumstances. (As well as a happy Travis, as well as he can be under the circumstances).

The point is, the Bills would not have used that way to deny the story if it wasn't true.

2668[/snapback]

If I follow you, are you saying that the rumor is true? Or not?

I'm not sure what happy circumstances you are speaking about...placating a fellow that hasn't played a regular-season down yet, or placating a fellow that while nowhere the top dollar figure, had an income quite above most people yet managed to piddle it down the drain.

No wonder companies move off-shore... :o

If I follow you, are you saying that the rumor is true? Or not?

I'm not sure what happy circumstances you are speaking about...placating a fellow that hasn't played a regular-season down yet, or placating a fellow that while nowhere the top dollar figure, had an income quite above most people yet managed to piddle it down the drain.

No wonder companies move off-shore... :o

2689[/snapback]

Even though it is all conjecture, what I think happened is simple. Rosenhaus or someone "close to Rosenhaus" said something to the Bills about Willis wants to start, needs to start, and will be ready to start opening day. He didn't need Willis's permission to say this, although he may have told him. Notice in the article, it said it WASN'T an ultimatum. He didn't make any threats. He said it in such a way that he doesn't ruffle many feathers.

But the papers and soon the fans don't really listen or read, they just add fuel to the fire by exaggerating it like the "telephone game" in 3rd grade when you whisper to the student next to you. And every story that comes out of it benefits Rosenhaus. Willis can sit back and deny it, which he did. That's the agent's job. To get his client's name in the paper and to get the most money for him. Just the way that the talk radio show host's job is to get people pissed and to call their show. So they will start stevestojan even if they don't believe it because that is their job: to get people to listen to and call their show. They love this stuff. Rosenhaus loves this stuff. The Bills brass hates this stuff but it is all part of the game.

I don't see it any big deal whatsoever. It doesnt hurt the team.

Archived